• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Florida Loop

slickstick

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I like the idea of a trip like this. Sort of like the “Bud Light” of Bimini trips. More manageable but plenty of sites and adventure. You stay domestic entire time so no customs. More options on places to stay. More confidence in grocery stores and gas stations. And if weather is bad then more on land options. Seems more manageable for inland boaters like me who are overwhelmed with the prospects of an open water trip to the Bahamas. Good luck. I look forward to following the results.
Still debating if we want to pull the trigger on this in a couple weeks, or do something more casual and just trailer the boat down south to a few locations.

What makes you say this is more manageable? The leg from Key West to Marco Island alone seems comparable to the bimini run, with another 550 miles or so added on top lol.

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Check jetski video on crossing from east to west coast of florida via lake okeechobee and its canals, I am not sure of the season but they have to turn around cause the canal have too much weed, like you cant even see the canal. You need to do research on when you have least chance that canal will have overgrown weeds.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What makes you say there is a good chance we might not be able to complete the trip?
It could be anything really but in all probability you might get bad weather. Pushing through 3 or 4 feet waves is not the trouble both in terms of convenience and damage to the boat. Bouncing every 4 seconds gets old very quickly.

slickstick

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Check jetski video on crossing from east to west coast of florida via lake okeechobee and its canals, I am not sure of the season but they have to turn around cause the canal have too much weed, like you cant even see the canal. You need to do research on when you have least chance that canal will have overgrown weeds.
Thanks for the heads up, you have a link to that video by any chance? I watched a few videos and didn't see the one you mentioned. That would definitely be a nightmare! I tried searching to see if there is a specific season this is an issue with no luck. Maybe someone can chime in, but it appears they manually clear the canals. I imagine maybe the cleaning got delayed for whatever reason during that video you mentioned and it got clogged up.

slickstick

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
It could be anything really but in all probability you might get bad weather. Pushing through 3 or 4 feet waves is not the trouble both in terms of convenience and damage to the boat. Bouncing every 4 seconds gets old very quickly.
Agreed that would not be fun and weather is a wild card...

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks for the heads up, you have a link to that video by any chance? I watched a few videos and didn't see the one you mentioned. That would definitely be a nightmare! I tried searching to see if there is a specific season this is an issue with no luck. Maybe someone can chime in, but it appears they manually clear the canals. I imagine maybe the cleaning got delayed for whatever reason during that video you mentioned and it got clogged up.
6 min mark when they found out the operator wont open the locks cause of weed.
Crossing ENTIRE State of Florida Coast to Coast on Jet Skis (intense ride) - YouTube
1623775879693.png

12min mark is where the screenshot is COAST TO COAST JET SKI RUN! 300+ MILES FROM STUART FL. to FORT MYERS (WE DONT MAKE IT!!) #100 - YouTube

Last edited:

slickstick

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
oh god that would be miserable, especially if it was at the end of the loop then we would be stuck and couldn't even turn back.
Yes and imagine if you are within 25 miles of you finish line that would suck. I do not know how maintenance on the lock goes but maybe they clear it within 1 day and im sure there is some airbnb canal front so you can wait it out, but its probably good to research before you start your trip or start with the okechobee run fist and finish the trip off-shore so you dont worry about last minute canal issue.

slickstick

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Yes and imagine if you are within 25 miles of you finish line that would suck. I do not know how maintenance on the lock goes but maybe they clear it within 1 day and im sure there is some airbnb canal front so you can wait it out, but its probably good to research before you start your trip or start with the okechobee run fist and finish the trip off-shore so you dont worry about last minute canal issue.
The spot where they got jammed looks like they could have went around it into Okeechobee if they wanted to. I just called a random lock not too far from that spot and they said as of right now every thing is fine. If we go through with it, I'll probably check again right before we go. Thanks again for the tip.

slickstick

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Looks like we are going to do this, weather permitting. Just started booking hotels. Initial plan, any input/suggestions welcome:

Day 1
⦁ Drive to Okeechobee (Chancey Bay Boat Lock (S-135) Public Boat Ramp or Indiantown Marina) - 2hrs
⦁ Dropoff ramp to Port Mayaca to enter Canal (8.5 Miles) - 20-30 min
⦁ Port Mayaca to Downtown Stuart (32 miles) - 1-1.5 hours
⦁ Lunch @ Stuart - 1.5 hours w/gas
⦁ Downtown Stuart to Jupiter (28 miles) - 1-1.5 hours

Spend the night Jupiter

Day 2
⦁ Jupiter Inlet to Riviera Beach (17 miles) - 45 min - 1 hour
⦁Riviera Beach to Lake Boca (34 miles) - 1.5 - 2 hours
⦁Lunch/Chill @ Lake Boca (1.5 hours+)
⦁ Lake Boca to Ft Lauderdale (22 miles) - 1 hr - 1.5 hours

Spend the night at Ft Lauderdale

Day 3

⦁Ft Lauderdale to Haulover Inlet (20 miles) - 1 hour
⦁ Haulover Inlet to Miami Bayfront Park (18 miles) - 1 hour

Spend 3 nights Miami 2-5 July. Marriott Biscayne Bay. Sea Isle Marina.

Day 6
⦁ Miami Bayfront to Key Largo Marina (55 miles) - 2-3 hours
⦁ Lunch @ Key Largo 1.5 hours w/gas
⦁ Key Largo to Marathon Key/Looe Key area (62-82 miles miles) - 2.5-3 or 4 hours

Spend one night middle Keys (Marathon or Big Pine Key)

Day 7
⦁Marathon/Big Pine Key to Key West (70 miles @ 25 mph)

Spend two nights Key West

Day 8 - Key West

Day 9 - Short route if great conditions
⦁Key West to Big Pine Key (36 miles @ 25 mph) - 1.5 hours
⦁Big Pine Key to Chokoloskee/Everglades City, Glades Haven Marina (81 miles @ 25 mph) - 3-4 hours
⦁ Lunch @ Chokoloskee/Everglades City (1.5 hours)
⦁Chokoloskee/Everglades City to Marco Island (35 miles @ 25 mph) - 1.5 - 2 hours

Day 9 - Alternate/Safe Route if more questionable conditions
⦁ Key West to Big Pine Key (36 miles @ 25 mph) - 1.5 hours
⦁ Big Pine Key to Flamingo Marina (43 miles @ 25 mph) - 2 hours - 2.5 hours w/gas
⦁ Lunch @ Flamingo Marina (1 hour) w/gas
⦁ Flamingo Marina to Chokoloskee/Everglades City, Glades Haven Marina (71 miles @ 25 mph) - 3 hours
⦁ Chokoloskee/Everglades City to Marco Island (35 miles @ 25 mph) - 1.5 - 2 hours

Spend the night Marco Island

⦁ Day 10
⦁Marco Island to Cape Coral/Ft Myers (56 miles @ 25 mph) - 2.5-3 hours
⦁ Cape Coral/Ft Myers to Moore Haven (55 miles @ 30 mph) - 2-2.5 hours
⦁ Lunch @ Moore Haven 1.5 hours w/gas
⦁ Moore Haven-Okechobee-Chancey Bay Lock/Indiantown Marina (36 miles @ 30 mph) - 1-1.5 hours
⦁ Pack up Boat and Drive Home - 2.5 hours

slickstick

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Preparations/things I've ordered so far - any suggestions welcome:
  • I already have a second bilge pump, I may re-mount it lower in the bilge as right now it takes a LOT to kick in.
  • Raymarine Axion 7 (backup/improved charts to Connext)
  • Sea Anchor
  • Two 10 gallon gas cans
  • 8ft Antenna for my VHF (I usually cruise with a 4ft)
  • ResQLink 400 Personal Locator Beacon

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Looks like we are going to do this, weather permitting. Just started booking hotels. Initial plan, any input/suggestions welcome:

Day 1
⦁ Drive to Okeechobee (Chancey Bay Boat Lock (S-135) Public Boat Ramp or Indiantown Marina) - 2hrs
⦁ Dropoff ramp to Port Mayaca to enter Canal (8.5 Miles) - 20-30 min
⦁ Port Mayaca to Downtown Stuart (32 miles) - 1-1.5 hours
⦁ Lunch @ Stuart - 1.5 hours w/gas
⦁ Downtown Stuart to Jupiter (28 miles) - 1-1.5 hours

Spend the night Jupiter

Day 2
⦁ Jupiter Inlet to Riviera Beach (17 miles) - 45 min - 1 hour
⦁Riviera Beach to Lake Boca (34 miles) - 1.5 - 2 hours
⦁Lunch/Chill @ Lake Boca (1.5 hours+)
⦁ Lake Boca to Ft Lauderdale (22 miles) - 1 hr - 1.5 hours

Spend the night at Ft Lauderdale

Day 3

⦁Ft Lauderdale to Haulover Inlet (20 miles) - 1 hour
⦁ Haulover Inlet to Miami Bayfront Park (18 miles) - 1 hour

Spend 3 nights Miami 2-5 July. Marriott Biscayne Bay. Sea Isle Marina.

Day 6
⦁ Miami Bayfront to Key Largo Marina (55 miles) - 2-3 hours
⦁ Lunch @ Key Largo 1.5 hours w/gas
⦁ Key Largo to Marathon Key/Looe Key area (62-82 miles miles) - 2.5-3 or 4 hours

Spend one night middle Keys (Marathon or Big Pine Key)

Day 7
⦁Marathon/Big Pine Key to Key West (70 miles @ 25 mph)

Spend two nights Key West

Day 8 - Key West

Day 9 - Short route if great conditions
⦁Key West to Big Pine Key (36 miles @ 25 mph) - 1.5 hours
⦁Big Pine Key to Chokoloskee/Everglades City, Glades Haven Marina (81 miles @ 25 mph) - 3-4 hours
⦁ Lunch @ Chokoloskee/Everglades City (1.5 hours)
⦁Chokoloskee/Everglades City to Marco Island (35 miles @ 25 mph) - 1.5 - 2 hours

Day 9 - Alternate/Safe Route if more questionable conditions
⦁ Key West to Big Pine Key (36 miles @ 25 mph) - 1.5 hours
⦁ Big Pine Key to Flamingo Marina (43 miles @ 25 mph) - 2 hours - 2.5 hours w/gas
⦁ Lunch @ Flamingo Marina (1 hour) w/gas
⦁ Flamingo Marina to Chokoloskee/Everglades City, Glades Haven Marina (71 miles @ 25 mph) - 3 hours
⦁ Chokoloskee/Everglades City to Marco Island (35 miles @ 25 mph) - 1.5 - 2 hours

Spend the night Marco Island

⦁ Day 10
⦁Marco Island to Cape Coral/Ft Myers (56 miles @ 25 mph) - 2.5-3 hours
⦁ Cape Coral/Ft Myers to Moore Haven (55 miles @ 30 mph) - 2-2.5 hours
⦁ Lunch @ Moore Haven 1.5 hours w/gas
⦁ Moore Haven-Okechobee-Chancey Bay Lock/Indiantown Marina (36 miles @ 30 mph) - 1-1.5 hours
⦁ Pack up Boat and Drive Home - 2.5 hours
Looks like a great plan. Document everything for the jetboat crew so if we ever want to try it, we have an idea on what works etc. Good luck!

1WetBoat

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Awesome trip/plan. Aside from Bimini this is a really interesting trip based out of Florida, definitely document it.

slickstick

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Awesome trip/plan. Aside from Bimini this is a really interesting trip based out of Florida, definitely document it.
Finding slips is a bit of a challenge, lots of places booked especially in Miami which seems to have a lot of construction going on at Marinas right now. I'll share all the spots we end up staying but I have been doing a lot of calling around.

slickstick

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Any suggestions on if it's worth bringing the cover along to cover up while moored overnight? Self bailing hull so even if it rains heavy I assume it should be fine without it and not worth taking up the space.

ThatJeepGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Any suggestions on if it's worth bringing the cover along to cover up while moored overnight? Self bailing hull so even if it rains heavy I assume it should be fine without it and not worth taking up the space.
I’d say now. If it rains that should make for a good rinse down of the boat

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Everytime i go out, I never bring cover, its too much of a hassle for me. Unless you have some valuables to cover at night, ie coolers fishing rods etc, I wouldn't bring it.