• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Florida Navarre / Destin Rules and Regulations

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am pretty familiar with all the rules and regs around here in the Great Lakes, for boating, etc.

Since this is our first time boating in Florida and possibly out in the Gulf, are there any gotchya's or things that I need to watch out for.

I am fully USCG compliant and can pass inspections. Carry everything required and usually more.

I am prepping and reading about fishing regulations currently

Some questions I do have, but I would think there are others as well:

1) Orange flag for individuals in the water or water sports? I have one with a holder but it isn't required around here and most don't even know what it is.
2) Running at dusk or after dark speeds? Not that I go fast in those situations, but what should I anticipate or if any regulations for all boats?
3) Alchohol in boat, opened, unopened? Both at crab island, in the ICW and out in the Gulf.

Anything else I should be cognizant of? Really appreciate any info anyone wants to share!!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Inthrustwetrust boats in that area often. I think he can help.

I played dumb for the most part. Didn't act foolish or unsafely and didn't have any problems.

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Youre only require flag (dive flag) if there is someone diving/snorkeling. Its the red with with white line. Alcohol is legal, but they can test you and give you a BUI if you fail test, so drink moderately lol.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Youre only require flag (dive flag) if there is someone diving/snorkeling. Its the red with with white line. Alcohol is legal, but they can test you and give you a BUI if you fail test, so drink moderately lol.
Thanks. Will get the Red Flag with white line, since we may snorkel. Can this be flown from the boat flag holder or does it need to be floating in the water?

I don't drink and drive the boat. But the Admiral and BIL will have their share of drinks I am sure.

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks. Will get the Red Flag with white line, since we may snorkel. Can this be flown from the boat flag holder or does it need to be floating in the water?

I don't drink and drive the boat. But the Admiral and BIL will have their share of drinks I am sure.
put mine on the boat but make sure its visible from all angle. Also there is no speed limit at night (just regular speed limit) but i would think if you go fast at night they can give you reckless boating ticket (this is just my assumption)

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No worries I got the regs for snorkeling and diving, will be purchasing appropriate flags now.

MrBubbaGump

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Really the only thing's they will get you for is tubing in a channel, making wake in a no wake zone or speeding in a minimum wake zone. Other than that unless you are being unsafe they will leave you alone... In my experience too many boats for them to worry about safety checks etc. When I was out yesterday I saw about 20 people get pulled over. 90% of them were jet skis and all of them were for driving fast in a no wake zone.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My thing is that when going to a near area to boat, I don't want to have or cause issues and certainly don't want to be "That Guy, whom does stupid stuff."

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
My thing is that when going to a near area to boat, I don't want to have or cause issues and certainly don't want to be "That Guy, whom does stupid stuff."
Did you get sand spike to anchor at crab island or will something else work? Curious for myself...lol

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did you get sand spike to anchor at crab island or will something else work? Curious for myself...lol
I have a mantus for the bow, another for the rear and a sand spike. Not sure the situation but I wanted to be covered.

TeenGee

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I believe your Dive Flag needs to be 20" x 24" minimum. I ordered mine from West Marine.
I also use a bungee cord to hold the flag pole into the rocket launcher so when I forget to take it down after diving, it doesn't blow away.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Really the only thing's they will get you for is tubing in a channel, making wake in a no wake zone or speeding in a minimum wake zone. Other than that unless you are being unsafe they will leave you alone... In my experience too many boats for them to worry about safety checks etc. When I was out yesterday I saw about 20 people get pulled over. 90% of them were jet skis and all of them were for driving fast in a no wake zone.
Basic rules for anywhere - follow them and I don't think you will have an issue. Same on the no wake zones in this area, #1 reason (by a long shot) that people get pulled over.

@HangOutdoors you can call the local USCG station and see what they say.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Orange flag for water sports is different than dive flag if those are required there. Spotter holds it and raises it any time someone is down in the water/falls off tube/etc.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the water sports flags, I just ordered the Dive Flags

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just mind the no wake zones, the fuzz been hanging out hiding at the bridge by the Marina you are using. They also patrol a lot around Crab which is all a no wake zone and will stop ya for that. As long as your aren’t drunk/the one drinking it, no one going to give you a hard time about open container while driving. Parked do what you please. I’ve never heard of the orange flag thing except on here. If the kids are just messing around at crab I wouldn’t bother with a dive flag, I would keep them close to the boat though, lots of idiots. If you don’t feel comfortable with the tight spaces at Crab just walk the boat in/out. There can be heavy currents and wind, lots of boats, it can get dicey if you aren’t used to it. There is a buoy channel through the middle of crab, I try to park near that for easy in/out access, pro tip, near the middle is not as deep as it used to be, you will bottom out. Sand is super soft, won’t do any damage at no wake speeds but you don’t want to be the guy to hit it, pretty funny for the peanut gallery.

Ya don’t tube in the channel. I would recommend going West of your marina a couple miles down the sound and doing it around the the islands down there.

Weather has been a real crap shoot this summer. If you get stuck in a storm I would just stay put or finding the nearest beach and riding it out. Water is 90+ degrees, it’s much warmer and more comfortable to grab a beverage and get in the water than get pelted with wind/rain/waves trying to get back. Same with Crab. Done it several times this year so far. Lighting is a bitch but I would rather be in 2 feet water surrounded by a shit ton of other boats than in the middle of the bay, only boat around for bolt to find.

Oh, “The Gulf” has become one of new favorite spots for dinner/drinks, right next to Adventure.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just mind the no wake zones, the fuzz been hanging out hiding at the bridge by the Marina you are using. They also patrol a lot around Crab which is all a no wake zone and will stop ya for that. As long as your aren’t drunk/the one drinking it, no one going to give you a hard time about open container while driving. Parked do what you please. I’ve never heard of the orange flag thing except on here. If the kids are just messing around at crab I wouldn’t bother with a dive flag, I would keep them close to the boat though, lots of idiots. If you don’t feel comfortable with the tight spaces at Crab just walk the boat in/out. There can be heavy currents and wind, lots of boats, it can get dicey if you aren’t used to it. There is a buoy channel through the middle of crab, I try to park near that for easy in/out access, pro tip, near the middle is not as deep as it used to be, you will bottom out. Sand is super soft, won’t do any damage at no wake speeds but you don’t want to be the guy to hit it, pretty funny for the peanut gallery.

Ya don’t tube in the channel. I would recommend going West of your marina a couple miles down the sound and doing it around the the islands down there.

Weather has been a real crap shoot this summer. If you get stuck in a storm I would just stay put or finding the nearest beach and riding it out. Water is 90+ degrees, it’s much warmer and more comfortable to grab a beverage and get in the water than get pelted with wind/rain/waves trying to get back. Same with Crab. Done it several times this year so far. Lighting is a bitch but I would rather be in 2 feet water surrounded by a shit ton of other boats than in the middle of the bay, only boat around for bolt to find.

Oh, “The Gulf” has become one of new favorite spots for dinner/drinks, right next to Adventure.
Awesome information, Really Appreciate it!!!