• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Florida Navarre / Destin Rules and Regulations

Beachcampin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
For Fishing, get your licenses on the FWS app, easy to keep with you then. Also download the Fishrules app, especially if you want to keep any. They keep changing the rules and opening and closing seasons so learning the regs hardly helps since they can just change it.

Locals will have to help with spots, but you’ll want some moving water around some type of structure generally. Still learning how to saltwater fish myself as I also grew up in the Midwest. Different ballgame.

I’m on east coast so some variations may exist where you are, but: easiest bait is frozen shrimp(and available everywhere) but everything eats that including junk. Live is better. Guys at real bait shops will usually have good info. Pop n cork at creek mouths with live shrimp on outgoing is great combo. Need to play with depths to see what works. Fish really early, they don’t like heat, and you can avoid t-storms but you may have luck in deeper holes in the heat. Also, it may be possible to find a local fishing guide who will go out on your boat and get you hooked up.

Heard guys in the keys complaining that FWS was giving tickets for feeding scraps to birds after cleaning. May be a regional thing as I haven’t heard that here in Jax.

JW5055

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
Only thing I would recommend and it was mentioned before is the having a aft anchor. I use the sand anchor on the starboard side aft tie down. Depending on tides and weather it’s nice for the boat to stay in one spot at crab island.

Last two times I went to crab island I had trouble setting anchor so I get frustrated and just jump in and set the anchor myself. Even properly lowering anchor in and trying to set it just seems the flukes just skim across the sandy bottom. So jumping in and pushing flukes down was my method unfortunately.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Came in today.

20220726_182335.jpg

Beachcampin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I couldn’t help myself and was looking at the charts offshore your locations and there are several man made reefs close in with a 20-40 minute run from your marina, most of that run inshore. Not sure how well they produce or how rough that inlet is, but seems enticing. If the weather cooperates, I would be hitting that every morning before the fam woke up.
Take a Sabiki rig and get your own bait off the reef and also have one rod dropping chunks (frozen squid, shrimp or baitfish) on a Carolina rig. Then drop some of that live bait down and one on a flat line off the back. Drift or anchor depending on conditions. No telling what you can get into!

caveats
- you need the reef endorsement on your license- it’s free and available online
- you need to have a pole rigged with a descending device.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Installed. With nice tower mount

20220729_185146.jpg20220729_185154.jpg20220729_185205.jpg

jocolo21

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I am pretty familiar with all the rules and regs around here in the Great Lakes, for boating, etc.

Since this is our first time boating in Florida and possibly out in the Gulf, are there any gotchya's or things that I need to watch out for.

I am fully USCG compliant and can pass inspections. Carry everything required and usually more.

I am prepping and reading about fishing regulations currently

Some questions I do have, but I would think there are others as well:

1) Orange flag for individuals in the water or water sports? I have one with a holder but it isn't required around here and most don't even know what it is.
2) Running at dusk or after dark speeds? Not that I go fast in those situations, but what should I anticipate or if any regulations for all boats?
3) Alchohol in boat, opened, unopened? Both at crab island, in the ICW and out in the Gulf.

Anything else I should be cognizant of? Really appreciate any info anyone wants to share!!
My brother you are overthinking it, go have fun and dont do anything stupid to attract attention. that's all, the rule is theres no rule until theres one, usually being drunk doing stupid shit. be responsible and have a great time. dont overthink it.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My brother you are overthinking it, go have fun and dont do anything stupid to attract attention. that's all, the rule is theres no rule until theres one, usually being drunk doing stupid shit. be responsible and have a great time. dont overthink it.
Kind of used to it, around here they can be pretty tough sometimes because the asshats screw it up for everyone.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Debating whether to bring the Trolling Motor and the Life Batteries for it down with me? Not sure I would get any use out of them and I could use the extra space. Anyone who see a use for them?

Beachcampin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Debating whether to bring the Trolling Motor and the Life Batteries for it down with me? Not sure I would get any use out of them and I could use the extra space. Anyone who see a use for them?
Is it a salt water unit? If so, Answer ultimately depends on how much fishing your going to try. Anchoring May be tedious after you get pampered by spot lock. Maybe make a last minute decision depending on wind/wave forecast.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thats a good question…. Typically, when trolling for ocean type fish I am told ( I have zero experience) its much faster than fresh water trolling, in the 5-8 mph range. I know my trolling motor will not pull my boat that fast unless there is zero wind and I’m on level 10 and minnkota doesn’t recommend that for extended periods with LiFePO batteries, your boat may be different and your troller will pull your boat that fast and if it does it will chew through 100Ah LiFePO batteries in two hours easy. So I would think any trolling would be on the mains.

As @Beachcampin suggested, the spot lock maybe a nice thing to have a long, but if you have your anchors sorted out you can probably just toss a couple of hooks and be done with it. But, if you are going to find some reefs or structure and fish on top of it, or even snorkel a wreck or reef then the spot lock might be nice to have if you were going to be moving around a lot. Might want to check with MinnKota if it is a fresh water unit and whether or not it will be okay for this short trip.

Since you suggested you could use the space, and if you have a good anchor set up, it might be simpler to just leave that at home this trip. Let me ask you, when you take the wife and kids out tubing / recreational boating do you have it on the boat then? If so then its a usual thing. The only other thing I could think of would be to have one of the LiFePO batteries along as a spare, they don’t weigh much and you could stow it somewhere out of the way..

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't take it with family for watersports. Probably just going to leave it at home, and take one of the batteries as a spare.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I don't take it with family for watersports. Probably just going to leave it at home, and take one of the batteries as a spare.
It will probably lower the complexity of the trip as well as the stress level… I’ve actually pondered this question before if I was just taking a long cruise with folks on board.. it would be more comfortable for the person riding on the port bow seat, and it takes what, 40# off of the bow?

However, here is a bit of a curve ball, sorry just remembered this, when I was at Lake Powell last summer, there had been a lot of monsoons and when we went to Rainbow bridge which takes you trough a channel, there was a ton of debris in the water at the mouth of the channel, like chunks of wood and such. I stopped short and put the troller in to pull me through all of that crap then when I got to clear water I pulled it and went back on the engines.

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I throw out this bouy as people still always get to close especially if you anchored in prime spot.

If I swim away I have bouy attached to me.

I found / heard about this app.
Has good detail to ramp and fishing spots.

Attachments

Last edited:

MilesPrower

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Definitely bring a trolling motor if you plan to fish. You'll want a trolling motor to navigate around docks when you're inshore fishing. When you're fishing nearshore, a trolling motor is essential for holding position. There are literally HUNDREDS of artificial reefs and natural dropoffs/ridges in the Gulf within a few miles of the pass with plenty of fish to catch. You don't really need a trolling motor for plain-jane trolling, unless you use your trolling motor as an integrated bow-thruster when running on autopilot with your main motors providing forward motion.

Read everything on FWC's website. If you are targeting (regardless of whether you're successfully catching) reef fish with natural bait, you must use non-stainless, inline circle hooks. In the past few years, I've been stopped 2-3× a year by FWC. Each time, they boarded my boat and asked to see (1) PFDs for everyone on board, (2) fire extinguishers, (3) fishing licenses, (4) reef survey, (5) contents of my live wells, and (6) inline circle hooks -- in that order. The only time I was given a (friendly) warning was when one of my guests' kids answered that he weighed 85 lbs, and I didn't have a youth, sub-90 lb PFD onboard for him. Open containers of alcohol have never been an issue.

Live bait is near impossible to purchase right now. It's high season for fishing, but the worst season for live bait. If you are arriving here within the next week or two, plan to catch your own live bait, or use artificial. (I catch many hundreds of Red Drum, Speckled Trout, Spanish Mackerel, Bluefish, and Largemouth Bass each year using artificial. (And yes, there are Bass in the brackish waters of the bays here.) Meanwhile, my son prefers to castnet live bait and target Black Drum, Snapper, Mahi Mahi, and Shark.)

Santa Rosa Sound is better for watersports than the bay. It's far less crowded, and the water is usually flatter.

I personally hate Crab Island. I have a boat to get me AWAY from the crowds, not take me INTO the crowds. But if that's what the fam really wants to do, a couple of pole anchors are usually better than traditional anchors. If you go the traditional route, I would suggest tying an anchor buoy to your anchor to reduce the chances of some dumb@ss running over your anchor or line. (Also, an anchor buoy helps you pull your anchor outta the sand while minimizing the risk of running into your anchor yourself in the shallows.)

Depending on where you'll be slipping your boat, another option is the Navarre Family Watersports park at the NE foot of the Navarre bridge. My kids love going there for the bouncy slides and other floating play structures. The "wade-in" complex there has a restaurant, bar, food trucks, snow cones, bathrooms, etc.

What week will you be here, and will you be in Navarre or Destin proper?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Leaving on the 6th and staying in navarre, have a slip at adventure marina

Last edited:

MilesPrower

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Supercool. You're gonna love it. My in-laws used to live in Navarre, and I have several fishing buddies that live in Navarre, Navarre Beach, and Fort Walton Beach.

I've got a sound-side house and dock near Portofino, and right now, there are countless packs of Red Drum and Speckled Trout hunting the "teenage" Croakers that have moved outta the bays into Santa Rosa Sound (before they head offshore in the fall). There are also squadrons of Mullet gliding along the shorelines. Most are around 6–8'' long, which is the size that Gator Trout and Bull Reds tend to hunt. One of my Navarre Beach fishing buddies is seeing the same thing on his condo's sound-side dock. Near Ft Walton Beach, Ladyfish are stacked up along the spoil islands off Mary Esther right now, and Reds are there hunting.

Seriously, all you have to do is look for a Heron standing tall on the shore near bottom structure (natural or artificial) or on a dock/lift, and you'll find a gaggle of Croakers grazing the sand & grass flats, or formations of mullet cruising the shoreline, or schools of Ladyfish chasing white bait... and big Reds & Specks cruising alongside. On incoming tide, the Reds & Specks will push into the flats to hunt the Croakers, Mullet, & Ladies. (Dolphins will be corralling their prey into the shallows too.) On outgoing tide, the Reds and Specks will hold at dropoffs and points waiting to ambush their prey.

Check the tide charts, because your best chances will be when tidal/wind-driven flow is greatest:

Tide Predictions - NOAA Tides & Currents - Santa Rosa Sound - Mary Esther
Tide Predictions - NOAA Tides & Currents - Destin Pass

As I mentioned earlier, I fish mostly with artificial lures. Right now, casting big-profile soft and hard plastic is producing the best for me (SLAM Shady Bomber, Power Prawn USA, PowerBait Swim Shad, Yo-Zuri 3DB Vibe, Strike King KVD). Meanwhile, my son prefers to soak live or fresh-cut bait (Menhaden, Croaker, Grunt, Mullet, and Pinfish — all of which he catches himself). If you decide to catch your own live bait, use a cast net or get yourself a "Key West"–style Pinfish trap. I fill our Pinfish trap (smallest size) with fried-chicken scraps, and I typically pick up two dozen or more Pinfish and Croaker in 30 minutes.

My favorite tackle stores in the area are:

Half Hitch Tackle Navarre
Emerald Coast Bait and Tackle

Half Hitch has two locations. The Navarre location is far less crowded than the Destin one. Emerald Coast is kinda outta the way up in Cinco Bayou, but they're a great store.

On other topics, much of which you probably already know, but I'll post here just in case others might find these notes beneficial —

When you see dolphins cruising along in open water (a case of when, not if), slow down to about 15 knots and get everyone to the back of the boat so you can throw the biggest wake possible. There's a good chance that the dolphins will play in your wake.

It's thunderstorm season here. Don't let the storms stop you from enjoying the sun in-between storms. Make sure you've got a good radar app on your phone so you can maximize your "in-between storms" time. I use MyRadar Pro (in conjunction with the actual radar on my boat). MyRadar Pro will also warn you of small-craft advisories, waterspouts, etc. — the stuff you want to avoid.

NOAA marine zone forecast is available here, and if you click on the map, you get the specific forecast for that point:

National Weather Service - Marine Zone Forecast - Western Choctawhatchee Bay

I also have the Windy.app app installed on my phone. When I'm inshore, the wind forecast is especially useful for gauging how rough the water will be:

Windy.app - Adventure Marina wind and marine forecast

Navionics SonarChart (the crowd-sourced layer that comes with Navionics+) is the most accurate and detailed for this area. But shoals here are very dynamic, so I usually post a lookout at the bow when I enter shallow water. Most of the time, the water will be clear enough to see bottom when it's less than 5 ft of depth. But be prepared to hit (or "slide") your keel on sand. Obviously, if you're anchoring, drop your anchor on sand, not on seagrass.

If you get tired of the crowds in Destin & Fort Walton Beach, you can always head west down Santa Rosa Sound. Between Navarre Beach and Portofino, there are countless spots where you can beach or anchor your boat and have the shoreline to yourself. (There are also a couple spots with public huts and bathrooms, if you've got someone on your boat that would rather not pee in the water.) Farther west in Pensacola Beach, if you're hungry/thirsty, Red Fish Blue Fish, Water Pig, Flounders, Whiskey Joe's, Cafe Nola, and Paradise Bar & Grill are all easily accessible by boat. Although the public pier there is being rebuilt right now, Flounders and Paradise have private piers, if you don't want to wade through knee-deep water to get to shore. When you want to head back to Navarre or Fort Walton Beach, the ICW is well marked, and the water is almost always calm enough to do 40+ knots, on plane, pretty much the whole way — even after sunset.

Anyway, I hope all this info is helpful to you (and to others who land here).

Last edited: