• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

flushing motor with vinegar

paul075

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Has anyone done this? People have done it to outboards and I use it to clean my thermostats before each season. My thermostat housings are nasty inside, so I can only imagine what the rest of the engine looks like inside.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I don't boat in salt water very often but when I do, I flush with vinegar first then salt-away. I use a full flushing canister of vinegar per motor and a 1/4 canister of salt-away per motor. Since I don't boat in salt water very often I am not sure the full effectiveness of my process. I have inspected my thermostats and they still look new. I grew up along the Gulf Coast of Florida and before salt-away was created people used vinegar to flush motors with good results. I flush with vinegar because it is much cheaper than salt-away and has a history of working.

And no I am not this guy

Rigger

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Never tried vinegar! When I used to ride my 1996 ZXI 900 JetSki off the coast of SOCAL I'd always flush it with IVORY soap. In 2009 I sold it but before selling I did a head gasket and reed valve change. The water jackets were spotless!!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I only ride in salt water and I always use dish soap to flush the engine.
Works for me all these years and it lets you know when the flushing cycle is finished as the soap suds stops coming out of the exhaust.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I used salt terminator all last year, but the vinegar and dish soap interest me from a cost factor. Would I just use the same inline attachment and just fill with vinegar? What about the dish soap?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I have pigtails for the flush fittings so I just squirt some dish soap right in the fitting before I connect the hose, it's concentrated so it doesn't take a lot. I keep the bottle where the hose is for convenience.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Vinegar is acetic acid and water. We do use it for household cleaning and put it on our salads. I'm just wondering if it would have any long term affects on gasket material.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have pigtails for the flush fittings so I just squirt some dish soap right in the fitting before I connect the hose, it's concentrated so it doesn't take a lot. I keep the bottle where the hose is for convenience.
Can you explain what you mean by pigtails?

Rigger

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
600_ATLANTISA8582.jpg

You should have gotten one with your boat. It may be a different color though.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Ok...thought that's what you were referring to. So you just squirt a little soap in there?

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Interesting. Never heard of using vinegar. I use Salt Away myself though.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I use water:-/
So just a squirt of dish soap in the hose before flushing really helps?

fairpilot

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
any specific brand of dish soap

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've been using Dawn to flush (but I'm only in fresh water). I believe that it was one that was better for the lake if it got into the water. I keep a bottle of it in the boat and also use it to lube bigger feet into smaller wakeboard boots.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Even you fresh water guys should look into using Salt-A-Way or a similar product. Fresh water has just as many bad effects as salt water. Mineral deposits and silt can build up in your cooling jackets if not flushed properly. The Dawn or Salt-A-Way will help you to not allow the contaminants to sit and build in the cooling system. Remember that you want to LEAVE the Salt-A-Way inside your motor to reduce the corrosive action and not flush it completely. So stop your flushing just before the bowl turns clear.

paul075

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
got on of these from Walmart for 1:20 ratio.

my plan is to close the intake hose from the pump and flush and leave the vinegar mix in the engine for a while, then flush with water and soap to clean out the system.

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I used salt terminator for the engine of my jet ski when used in the ocean. But always had a spray bottle of vinegar and water 50/50 to easily remove salt spots on the outside of the ski.

I never thought salt terminator to be too expensive as a gallon would last more than a year. The benefit is it leaves a protective coating inside the engine.

Vinegar should be fine for flushing.

Rigger

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok...thought that's what you were referring to. So you just squirt a little soap in there?
Yep, I'd just give the bottle one good squeeze before attaching the hose - never measured how much actually. Like Jeff said you get suds then when it's clear water then you've rinsed good enough.
I use water:-/
So just a squirt of dish soap in the hose before flushing really helps?
It certainly has in my case. I got the idea from the PWC Off Shore racers back in the early 90's. (Long Beach to Catalina and back)
any specific brand of dish soap
I've used Ivory exclusively.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I just use whatever I see in the store , after the BP caper what the heck could a few drops of dish soap do to the gulf of mexico?
As for the thermostats ,I removed the one on my s h o after 500 hours on the engine because I has a bad heat sensor, I was surprised to find the thermostat working fine and clean, I put them in a pan of water on the stove with a thermometer to see if they are working, I was checking it due to a hot alarm constantly going off but it was just a defective sensor and Yamaha covered it under warranty.
The thermostat is still the original one and working just fine. Also I don't think I run these on the hose for more than 3 minutes, 5 at the most although I never timed it but it isn't any real long time. One rule I have is to backflush the pumps before running these on the hose just in case a rock or shell etc got in the pump while loading the trailer . Backflush is simply using the hose to push water into the nozzle and out the intake grate to wash out weeds or other items as mentioned.