• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

For those with or have drove 2015 24 ft boats

Morrowcat

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
Interested on opinions on the newer keel design. Did it take away from the "sportiness" of the handling? Will it still spin out hard over? Nothing but better or are there any drawbacks? Thanks for any feedback.

hoppersteven

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I cannot compare to another yamaha because I have never been in one but I did have a sugarsand tango jet boat and I can say they handle completely different. The little jet boat was more like a PWC and my AR240 is more like a 24' boat is the best way I can describe it. You can not spin these around like the other models

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I had an 07 SX230 and spun it pleanty. I can for sure tell you my new 24 footer will not spin. It turns more like a stern drive now.

Last edited:

Ziess21

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Definitely less sporty but certainly a great handling boat all around.

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I second everything that had been said

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Even at slow speeds you cannot spin it in its own length. I often do that with my 212X when retrieving boarders. Driving OperationROL's 242 had me more connected to the water. Not a bad thing, just different compared to the older Yamahas. The new ones have so many nice things about them compared to my 2008. Noise reduction being my favorite.

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Who cares about steering. Does the new hull improve ropeless surfing or is wakesurfing worse with new hull, compared to the previous hull.

Personally I like the the loose hull you can slide when turning.

Last edited:

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Even at slow speeds you cannot spin it in its own length. I often do that with my 212X when retrieving boarders. Driving OperationROL's 242 had me more connected to the water. Not a bad thing, just different compared to the older Yamahas. The new ones have so many nice things about them compared to my 2008. Noise reduction being my favorite.
Actually, it can still turn in its own space. I do that often around docks and retrieving boarders. I will have to let you try again. :)

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My AR 240 is my first Yamaha jetboat, so I can't offer a comparison to other Yamahas. What I can say is that it's handling outperforms a prop drive. For example, at WOT (48 mph to 51 mph on my boat) I can crank the wheel full right or full left and the boat holds the turn like it is on rails. Any prop boat that I've ever done this with has cavitated to the point that I'd have to pull back on the throttle to get the prop to re-engage. The driving experience is very sporty. No spin-outs, but it doesn't slide down sideways off of wakes/waves that are not perpendicular to the direction of travel. It tracks very well and never surprises you. When turning around to retrieve a fallen wakeboarder, I drop the throttles into neutral and when the boat sinks down, I throttle back up to half throttle with the wheel cranked and it turns on a dime. It's pretty idiot-proof.

ptwb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow, that's the first I've heard of the newer keel design 'maybe' not being able to spin in place. I don't know if I could give that up. I hope some people are not confusing spinning in place with very small tight circles. Not the same thing.

Are there any docking videos showing it still able to spin in place?

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Who cares about steering. Does the new hull imprpve robeless surfing or is wakesurfing worse with new hull, compared to the previous hull.

Surprisingly the new hull throws a better wake that is TWICE as tall and 50% cleaner. I was bummed about starting over with an automatic ballast build lIke my previous 230, however, while Pulling my son, @OperationROL's Son while wakeboarding, we notice the wake without additional ballast was taller and had a better shap than the 07 fully ballasted out. We then drove at 11 mph to see what the wake looks like at surging speed. It was cleaner as well.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Wow, that's the first I've heard of the newer keel design 'maybe' not being able to spin in place. I don't know if I could give that up. I hope some people are not confusing spinning in place with very small tight circles. Not the same thing.

Are there any docking videos showing it still able to spin in place?
No need for worry. I assure you it still can. @buckbuck went out with me on the maiden voyage and we did a lot of things quickly. We did not spend enough time testing such things. Since then I do that as a normal operation.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
By spinning in place, I thought that you meant doing the high speed 180 like the jet skis do. As far as slow docking maneuvering goes, it does turn on it's center by using the drives as twin screws, and it does spin with the bow as the center of the circle just by cranking the wheel fully with both drives in wake mode.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes it will sit and spin for docking. No problem.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Truer words were never spoken. :thumbsup:
Nicely said. Best Wishes, Miiey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mine spins just fine in it owns length when docking. It will not slide sideways at speed but I also added the thrust vectors. When backing out of the launch ramp people look at me like I'm crazy. I back out a little, keep one engine in reverse and put the other in forward and it spins around and I drive out straight while everyone else is still trying to back out.

MNdrifter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Who cares about steering. Does the new hull imprpve robeless surfing or is wakesurfing worse with new hull, compared to the previous hull.

Is robeless surfing only allowed on private lakes?

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length