• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Fore! Golf ball removal

jim1

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Also I didn't re-seal when I re-installed, haven't noticed any issues and I've put 20 plus hours on the no seal. Never had to seal the old style.šŸ˜Ž
Did you use loctite (blue) on the 9 bolts when you reinstalled them?

Jimmers

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@GiddYupJoe, you can see the a residue of the factory grease on the splines. The service manual documents using some almost unobtainable high moly Yamaha grease. I tried at least 10 places to only have one say that they could order the Yamaha grease and then call back to say that they could not.

I stuck the spline into the honda moly 60 grease tube then used a paper towel to spread it around a little. Be careful not to get it on your hands as it is very hard to get off.

I only put it on the spline area. I believe the purpose of the grease is to prevent the shaft getting stuck in and the reason for the high moly grease is because it is so hard to wash off.

Jimmers

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Has anyone attached a sst mesh grate to the exterior of the factory grate? With 1/2ā€-3/4ā€ openings or so. What would be the pros and cons? You could use nylon tie wraps, change them out annually and easily inspect them anytime while on the lift or trailer. Thoughts?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What would be the pros and cons?
Cavitation and the possibility of sucking the grate through the pump. Even the cable ties would cause cavitation. You want an undisturbed flow of water through the pumps.

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Bruce isn't a Feet Admiral for nothing, I agree with him.

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Get the pump off yet?

jim1

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Get the pump off yet?
Not yet. Iā€˜ve got the pry bar and a breaker bar coming in tomorrow from Amazon, but with it being Motherā€™s Day weekend, I probably wonā€™t get back to the boat for a week or so (itā€˜s about an hour away in storage). Iā€™ll be sure to post an update once I do, thanks again for all of your help!

jim1

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Not remotely easy peasy on my boat.

All of the bolts to the outer part of the pump are removed. I hit the outer bit of the pump (gently) with the heat gun for ~10 mins to soften the white sealant where those sections of the pump join together and it still wonā€™t budge. The seal is completely flush and I canā€™t fit a pry bar or screwdriver (or anything) in there to help separate them. See video (or not...forum doesnā€™t like .mov files, apparently...).

The 2020+ 242SEs appear to be built quite differently at the pump than the earlier years referenced in this thread.

Any ideas? It feels as securely on as it does with all of the bolts in place...I could pull the trailer backwards with it if I hooked it up to a truck.

TIA.

jim1

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Iā€™m going to take the back piece off with the outer piece attached.

EDIT: Welp, that proved to be fruitless, as well. Whatever sealant theyā€™re using is too strong for the heat Iā€™m comfortable giving it. Like the front piece, the back piece is on there so well it feels like the bolts are in and you could drag the trailer backwards if you tied it to a truck.

Is there anybody thatā€™s done this near Lake Conroe? Iā€™d be happy to compensate you for your time if you can come by in the next couple of weeks to help me with this.

Last edited:

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Sorry to here you are having more of any issue than I did. I wouldnā€™t go crazy with the heat gun, I only used it for a minute then I could finally pry it off. Maybe it need to go to the dealer, could the golf ball really have it bound up.