• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Fortress FX-7, fits fine in the 2007 to 2009 230 anchor locker with a little modification

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have read several positive reports for these anchors. I believe @JetBoatPilot was one.

The official dimensions of the FX-7 are

A (Shank): 24 in (61 cm)
B (Fluke): 14 in (36 cm)
C (Stock): 19 in (48 cm)

I was worried that the shank would be too long. Thanks to @Chillypilot for letting me know it would fit.

That left the stock length as the only issue.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

The factory anchor holder uses partially drilled blocks to hold an anchor with a stock width of 14". I used a 1/2" drill bit to cut the anchor stock slot the remainder of the way through the block. This process took less than 10 minutes.

Now the anchor fits snugly. The stock is almost the full width of it's area of the locker. The shank is buried in the rope and chain at the bottom of the locker.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

This our report from our first outing with the FX-7 ....

Today was our first outing with the Fortress FX-7. I fitted it with 5' of 5/16" zinc chain, a 50' anchor buddy and 100' of 1/2" rope.

When we reached 15' of water approaching a primarily shale island @Rana dropped the anchor and chain overboard. The anchor set into the gravel bottom very quickly and more securely than the 10 pound fluke I was previously using would have. I tied anotber 1/2" rope from the stern to a tree and used it to pull the boat into 3' of water.

While we were there I snorkeled down and discovered that the the shank of the FX-7 was buried. All I could see was the chain coming out of the gravel bottom.

When we left I had to swing the boat around, tie the anchor rope to a bow cleat and back away from the shore to free the anchor.

It certainly made a great first impression on us.

Last edited:

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have that anchor in my 2009 SX230. It fits in the locker but the shank sits on an angle. I just had to cut the crossbar. It works very well. I'm usually on sandy bottoms. I can take a picture of it sitting in the locker if you'd like.

robbo3

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The dealer I bought my boat from cut the shank and stock in order to allow my anchor to fit in my AR210 locker. They had the proper materials and took them about 20 minutes to cut, drill, and grind the edges smooth. Looking at it now, you'd never know.

AndyD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I had to cut the shank and stock on mine to get it to fit in the locker. It wasn't too hard but still took some time. I used an angle grinder with a cutting blade and a drill bit to re-drill the holes for the chain on the shank. It's wasn't the prettiest thing once it was done but it works just as well as before and fits the locker perfect. Plus, since nobody will see it when it's sitting on the bottom of the lake or in the locker I'm not too worried that it doesn't look brand new anymore.

Last edited:

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So your anchors with cut shanks are holding well?

I have access to a metal chop saw, and have a grinder and drill press at home. Cutting it should be easy.

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bruce you should have the same locker as me. I didn't have to cut mine. Cutting might void the warranty.

Last edited:

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My engineer angel would tell me not to mess with the shank length as it is directly related to the engineered angle that sets and holds the anchor.

Why not store the anchor under the bow cushion and the rode in the anchor locker? That's what I do because when I toss the anchor, I usually take that cushion off so I can stand closer to the edge. After a while of trying to jam the anchor and rode into the hole and clip it in so it doesn't bounce, I said the hell with it and now it goes under the seat.

By the way.... Fortress has a dynamite warranty. Break it, bend it or whatever; they'll cover it.

AndyD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
No issues so far. I cut 2" off each side of the stock and 3" off the shank. I've only used it twice since cutting it but it held well both times.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This is Fortress's response to my email asking about shortening the shank. I will order one see how it fits and cut if necessary. Based on @Chillypilot's experience I am hopeful that it will simply fit.

"Thanks for your message and for your interest in our product. Unfortunately your question is a common one, as the anchor storage compartments aboard many power and sail boats are designed to only fit a small, light duty anchor.

Of course, we don't recommend modifying the lengths of the anchor parts, as there is likely to some affect on the performance, although with the shank, I cannot say with great certainly exactly what that affect might be, since to the best of my knowledge we did not experiment with multiple shank lengths during the development of our product 30 years ago.

I suspect that there might be an issue with the weight balance if the shank is shortened, but again, I do not know for sure the affect it might have on setting and holding.

As you may know, we offer a no hassle Lifetime Parts Replacement Warranty and we will gladly replace any damaged anchor part for free, and the only cost will be for shipping & handling.

Please let me know if this information is helpful and if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks again!

Safe anchoring,"

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Here is my $0.02 - still not worth a nickle :winkingthumbsup", but here goes anyways.

Get the biggest anchor that will fit without too many modifications to it. The key though is to get heavy chain and a good number of feet of chain.

I have basically the "yamaha" anchor kit, but twice as heavy, and twice as long, chain for it. It has worked pretty well for me.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This is Fortress's response to my email asking about shortening the shank. I will order one see how it fits and cut if necessary. Based on @Chillypilot's experience I am hopeful that it will simply fit.

"Thanks for your message and for your interest in our product. Unfortunately your question is a common one, as the anchor storage compartments aboard many power and sail boats are designed to only fit a small, light duty anchor.

Of course, we don't recommend modifying the lengths of the anchor parts, as there is likely to some affect on the performance, although with the shank, I cannot say with great certainly exactly what that affect might be, since to the best of my knowledge we did not experiment with multiple shank lengths during the development of our product 30 years ago.

I suspect that there might be an issue with the weight balance if the shank is shortened, but again, I do not know for sure the affect it might have on setting and holding.

As you may know, we offer a no hassle Lifetime Parts Replacement Warranty and we will gladly replace any damaged anchor part for free, and the only cost will be for shipping & handling.

Please let me know if this information is helpful and if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks again!

Safe anchoring,"
So he is saying pretty much what I said........ hack it up and if it doesn't work good for you, just call them up and get the shank replaced.

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
image.jpeg image.jpeg Here a couple pictures in my locker.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Chillypilot do you keep your rope and chain in the anchor locker or do you store it somewhere else?

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bruce I keep the chain and the rope in the locker with the anchor. I just took it out for the pictures.

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What about raising the anchor latches at the top of the compartment...it looks like you have a little bit of room to go up instead of cutting stuff off the anchor?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What about raising the anchor latches at the top of the compartment...it looks like you have a little bit of room to go up instead of cutting stuff off the anchor?
I plan to drill out the remainder of the width of the blocks that hold the anchor in place which should allow for the full stock width to fit or very close to it.

@Chillypilot's picture shows that the shank length will fit as long as it pushes the rope and chain out of the way. With a 50' anchor buddy, 5' of 5/16th chain and 100' of 1/2" rope the bottom 5" of my anchor locker is filled.

So I may not need to cut the anchor at all.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
X2 on the long chain better than a long shank . The biggest problem with fluke anchors is occasional they will scoop up rocks and shells and not let the flukes open completely . Cut away they will hold these boats fine I have been in supper heavy currents that I needed to power forward to release the anchor.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks @Chillypilot amd everyone else that contributed to this tread after drilling out the mounts the anchor fit without alteration.

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bruce No problem, glad it worked out. Are your mounts different than mine? I didn't have to do anything to get mine to fit.

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I get what your saying. You drilled the mounts so you didn't have to cut the crossbar. I'm a little slow after flying all night.