• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Fortress FX-7, fits fine in the 2007 to 2009 230 anchor locker with a little modification

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I get what your saying. You drilled the mounts so you didn't have to cut the crossbar.
Exactly. I added pics in the first post. It might have been more efficient to remove the mounts and take them to be drill press but it was pretty quick to drill the slots through as is.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Today was our first outing with the Fortress FX-7. I fitted it with 5' of 5/16" zinc chain, a 50' anchor buddy and 100' of 1/2" rope.

When we reached 15' of water approaching a primarily shale island @Rana dropped the anchor and chain overboard. The anchor set into the gravel bottom very quickly and more securely than the 10 pound fluke I was previously using would have. I tied anotber 1/2" rope from the stern to a tree and used it to pull the boat into 3' of water.

While we were there I snorkeled down and discovered that the the shank of the FX-7 was buried. All I could see was the chain coming out of the gravel bottom.

When we left I had to swing the boat around, tie the anchor rope to a bow cleat and back away from the shore to free the anchor.

It certainly made a great first impression on us.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have read several positive reports for these anchors. I believe @JetBoatPilot was one.

The official dimensions of the FX-7 are

A (Shank): 24 in (61 cm)
B (Fluke): 14 in (36 cm)
C (Stock): 19 in (48 cm)

I was worried that the shank would be too long. Thanks to @Chillypilot for letting me know it would fit.

That left the stock length as the only issue.

View attachment 45025 View attachment 45027

The factory anchor holder uses partially drilled blocks to hold an anchor with a stock width of 14". I used a 1/2" drill bit to cut the anchor stock slot the remainder of the way through the block. This process took less than 10 minutes.

Now the anchor fits snugly. The stock is almost the full width of it's area of the locker. The shank is buried in the rope and chain at the bottom of the locker.

View attachment 45026

View attachment 45028
This is the report from our first usage;

Today was our first outing with the Fortress FX-7. I fitted it with 5' of 5/16" zinc chain, a 50' anchor buddy and 100' of 1/2" rope.

When we reached 15' of water approaching a primarily shale island @Rana dropped the anchor and chain overboard. The anchor set into the gravel bottom very quickly and more securely than the 10 pound fluke I was previously using would have. I tied anotber 1/2" rope from the stern to a tree and used it to pull the boat into 3' of water.

While we were there I snorkeled down and discovered that the the shank of the FX-7 was buried. All I could see was the chain coming out of the gravel bottom.

When we left I had to swing the boat around, tie the anchor rope to a bow cleat and back away from the shore to free the anchor.

It certainly made a great first impression on us.