• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Freaking out!!

Glassyo182

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi guys I hope you are all doing well!
I was flushing the motor of my Yamaha AR190 after a day of usage today, and I was using a hose that had less pressure than what I usually use, I connected it and started the process and notice that the water wasn't coming out of the cooling drain like it usually does (dumb me), I kept going for like a minute and I got the overheating signal (visually and the sound). I stopped the process and waited for a couple minutes before I started again with some more pressure (it started coming out of the port like it usually does).
I really hope I didn't mess anything up, this is the first time that this happens to me!
Anyone had the same problem in the past?

Regards

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
You are fine, don't worry, it happens and you caught it in time this is why you always monitor the flushing process so you can react instantly.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Don't know and I'm not an engine guy, but from what I've read here... I think you're probably fine if you got it stopped when the alarm sounded. Especially, since you got it started back up afterward. I think the concern would have been if you stopped the engine before you cut the water and ran water in the engine. Again, from what I've read here... check the oil. If it's a funny color, change it sooner rather than later.

If @Cobra Jet Steering LLC 's first reaction is that you're ok... that would be good enough for me, as well. :)

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You are fine. The engine ECM protects it from an overheat and the alarm worked as intended. No biggie, just don’t make a habit of it.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
He won't have any water in his oil it takes a while for that to happen even if he did shut off the engine first plus he had insufficient water pressure so the water is no worry.
I have had weeds overheat an engine and set off the alarm numerous times.
One thing to remember about the alarm and limp mode,if you are ever out in the boat and the alarm goes off and your engine goes to limp mode.
Never think it is a safe mode!
If you continue to run the engine you will damage it so shut it off and find the problem.
The last time I had that happen my oil filter split and my engine had no oil. I stopped and flagged down a boater who towed me back in.
The engine did not have any problems because I did not continue to run it.
https://jetboaters.net/threads/new-oil-filter-failed-just-did-the-oil-change-2-weeks-ago.18678/#post-321338

Glassyo182

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is all very helpful! Thanks a lot for sharing your experiences!

Regards