• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Fresh back from Powdercoat

1BadTundra

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I just picked these up for the 212x. I want to polish them before installing. I thought they would come out better than this satin finish. Maybe a 1500 grit and polisher might get that shine to come out

Attachments

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Very nice. I really like the look of the powder coating.

1BadTundra

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I like it a lot... I'd like it better if I can make it shine

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Don't attempt to polish powder coat. It won't turn out the way you think, and likely damage it.

1BadTundra

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Don't attempt to polish powder coat. It won't turn out the way you think, and likely damage it.
I saw a few threads regarding this on a search. What happens?

1BadTundra

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Better pics

Attachments

Wishfull1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Polishing them will not help. Take them back for a high gloss powder coat clear, and they will POP! Or rattle can clear, but it will not be as durable.

Or, keep them as they are. They look super cool and nobody will notice beyond 10 feet except you.

Last edited:

1BadTundra

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Polishing them will not help. Take them back for a high gloss powder coat clear, and they will POP! Or rattle can clear, but it will not be as durable.

Or, keep them as they are. They look super cool and nobody will notice beyond 10 feet except you.
Yea I was thinking the same thing. They do shine more than the pics show. I'm just weird about shit. I'll just run with them like they are, no need to mess with it. I can't wait to get them on the boat. My shop ceiling is 10' so I'll just have to wait for nicer weather.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yea I was thinking the same thing. They do shine more than the pics show. I'm just weird about shit. I'll just run with them like they are, no need to mess with it. I can't wait to get them on the boat. My shop ceiling is 10' so I'll just have to wait for nicer weather.
Powdercoat is softer plastic. paint is a harder plastic. Has to do with the length and type of polymer chains in each, and how they are applied/cured. Powdercoat is melted togethor, paint has organics evaporated out. If you polish the softer powdercoat, you are likely to overheat it, and change the film thickness, resulting in both a poor polish and a reduced protection of the part.

If you really want it to shine, throw a clear over the top of it, in a LOT of thin coats, then sand/buff/shine.....OR...strip powder off, polish it, then paint with automotive style 2-stage paint.

Personally, I think they look great the way they are, and the powdercoats "less shiny" finish will be appreciated by all for what it is; superior protection on a marine part!

1BadTundra

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Powdercoat is softer plastic. paint is a harder plastic. Has to do with the length and type of polymer chains in each, and how they are applied/cured. Powdercoat is melted togethor, paint has organics evaporated out. If you polish the softer powdercoat, you are likely to overheat it, and change the film thickness, resulting in both a poor polish and a reduced protection of the part.

If you really want it to shine, throw a clear over the top of it, in a LOT of thin coats, then sand/buff/shine.....OR...strip powder off, polish it, then paint with automotive style 2-stage paint.

Personally, I think they look great the way they are, and the powdercoats "less shiny" finish will be appreciated by all for what it is; superior protection on a marine part!
Thanks, I appreciate the info... I am just going to leave it the way it is... It came out good, I just have a problem leaving anything well enough.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
I just picked these up for the 212x. I want to polish them before installing. I thought they would come out better than this satin finish. Maybe a 1500 grit and polisher might get that shine to come out
Beautiful boat! What are those used for?

1BadTundra

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length