• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

FSH 190 Steering

paulwjax

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hi everyone, I have 2018 FSH 190 Sport with steering that is getting harder and harder to steer. I've searched and searched for the OEM part F3M-U1470-00-00 and it is out of stock everywhere.
I have couple questions since the backorder has no end in sight, as well as a data dump for anyone who might need this in the future.

I've seen many posts of people who push lube up the cable to the helm with compressed air as a temporary fix and I plan to try, but I've also seen many posts where many people says it does nothing long term and to ultimately replace the cable.

So in my search for a cable or another steering solution, here's what I know:
Helm - Seastar Back Mount Rack System - SH91620P (my equipment) or alternatively SH5220P
Cable - Single Yamaha Jet Boat Mini-Rack- Dometic Seastar SSC146 with a length of 14' and travel of 3.5"
I measured my cable according to this - (Dometic site states "For Jet Boat Mini rack cable replacement, measure the existing cable as follows: Measure plastic cable jacket in inches, add 30" and round up to the next whole foot.) When I measured the cable plastic jacket was 127"+ 30" = 157" which is a little more than 13' and you round to 14'.

Even after finding all this info from Dometic/Seastar I still can't find a replacement cable.

I measured the Mini-Rack and the whole rack is 9.5" long. Then I measured the distance from the center of the helm to the side of the console and it would allow me about 3 more inches on each side if I were to try to get a rack for a normal rack and pinion system.

1. Would a normal sized under helm rack would fit?
2. If #1 isn't a viable option, would another steering system like the ones on 2018 AR190's work?
3. Or would going to a rotary style system fit underneath?

Attachments

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
https://www.shopsbt.com

Did you check them, call them? People have good luck there finding steering cables, i got mine from them. They have something that will work if you reach out to them.

paulwjax

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
They didn't have a cable to fit listed on their site yesterday and I tried calling them before I wrote the post but they were already closed for the day. I'll call in the morning.
How long ago did you get your AR cable from them?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Last edited:

Danielmailin

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
@paulwjax I'm on the same boat.
After having my boat for 2 years, I did the steering cable lubrication method and it worked the 1st time, it's not perfect but brings your steering to about 60 tp 70% better and with time it will get harder.
After 6 years, my cable finally gave our to the point you cannot turn it anymore. So I have to replace it, but the part is no avaliable.
The cable is made by seastar and the seastar part # is SC14612 (see picture) which is specifically made for Yamaha, abd can't be purchased anywhere! So I'm stuck with damaged cable and have no part to replace it.

If you are able to still turn your steering, do the lube cable procedure, so you can at least use your boat, see the following YouTube link:

As for me, I'm going to see if I could find a marine shop and see If they could rebuild the cable as I have the cable out and can't use my boat!

Attachments

paulwjax

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
@paulwjax I'm on the same boat.
After having my boat for 2 years, I did the steering cable lubrication method and it worked the 1st time, it's not perfect but brings your steering to about 60 tp 70% better and with time it will get harder.
After 6 years, my cable finally gave our to the point you cannot turn it anymore. So I have to replace it, but the part is no avaliable.
The cable is made by seastar and the seastar part # is SC14612 (see picture) which is specifically made for Yamaha, abd can't be purchased anywhere! So I'm stuck with damaged cable and have no part to replace it.

If you are able to still turn your steering, do the lube cable procedure, so you can at least use your boat, see the following YouTube link:

As for me, I'm going to see if I could find a marine shop and see If they could rebuild the cable as I have the cable out and can't use my boat!
Daniel thanks so much for including a picture of the cable with part number on it! That really helps out. Mine must have faded away long ago.

I thought about opening the case of the rack to try to rebuild mine and welding the case back together but decided against it for now.

Let me know if you find a shop that can rebuild it and hopefully you get back on the water soon.

paulwjax

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
SBT didn't have any and said the same thing as everyone else; Backordered with no ETA.

If Daniel finds a place to rebuild the rack, fantastic and I'll probably take mine there too lol, but I'm researching replacing the whole steering unit now.

JDinfla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I just went through this 4 months ago. No cable available except through yamaha parts suppliers. Best deal was Partzilla and took 6 weeks.