• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

FSH with thrust vector question.

jetfisher

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I added the thrust vectors to my fsh to aid in low speed handling. I have noticed since I added them that the swim platform area, back deck, and even the seatback (plus passengers) get a fine misting while underway. Ive noticed it to be worst at around 16- 20 mph. At 30 plus its not there. Just slower getting on plane or just on top. Has anyone else noticed this? Is there a cure? As fall is here on the great lakes and temps are cooler i really dont want wet passengers or slippery decks. Thanks

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I added the thrust vectors to my fsh to aid in low speed handling. I have noticed since I added them that the swim platform area, back deck, and even the seatback (plus passengers) get a fine misting while underway. Ive noticed it to be worst at around 16- 20 mph. At 30 plus its not there. Just slower getting on plane or just on top. Has anyone else noticed this? Is there a cure? As fall is here on the great lakes and temps are cooler i really dont want wet passengers or slippery decks. Thanks
Really have never seen it go forwards that much. For it to do that the pump would need to be sticking out from the back of the boat like 6 inches. Can you show us, with the TV in upright position, how far back it is on the boat?
If it is under the boat then it is more about how the wake is shaped and crashing on itself behind you.
I know for fishing you probably stay at some of those lower rpms more than most boats and will notice these things much more so perhaps a video of it happening could be produced?

jetfisher

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The spray or mist rolls right up from under the back of the boat. It's not there at idle trolling speed, just like it's gone if I run faster than 30. The in between is where it is. The slower speed searching for fish gets it wet. Not good for me

WTScott

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
@jetfisher - I mentioned in my battery location post that putting the trolling motor batteries in the changing room pocket moved my splash line forward by about a foot and reduced my speed by a mile or two at the top end. I have not noticed the mist, but the side seat was definitely catching more spray. I have relocated the batteries back under the rear starboard seat and the spray is less and top end is just about where it was before adding the batteries. If the angle of the boat is changed a bit with this, the jet would be more in the water the more the weight is back. I have seen concerns about the TV's as well but this might contribute?

jetfisher

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
It did it before the terrova and batteries were installed. I too noticed the top end drop with the weight forward. Haven't noticed and splash on the rear seats while underway though. This is definetly rolling up the back. I wish my GoPro hadn't died Sunday or I would have video of it.

WTScott

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
I will pay special attention to mine this weekend / Scott

WTScott

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Noted a bit of mist but not much - definitely not enough to get the back wet. Don't have a basis to compare versus prior to TV's. Will keep an eye on it.

jetfisher

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Last edited:

WTScott

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
@jetfisher - did you switch from the TV's to the Ultimates?

WTScott

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
@jetfisher - I saw that it solved your wet deck problem in another post. Otherwise do you see any difference or pluses / minuses? Are you running them in the full time down or kick up mode?

BTW - I have a set already delivered and ready to install. I am planning on doing the full time down mode as of now.

Thank / Scott

jetfisher

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
More precise handling. I have them full time down as one thing I noticed prior in rougher water the boat would seem to slide a bit. During the discussion on the purchase Jeff recommended full down to help with rough water handling. The fact that they can be changed to the driver and or conditions is very nice. The aluminum over plastic was a good feature also. Had I know about these first, they would have been on in July

Billy Marlin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I have a lot of mist just thought it was the jet engine causing this issue. My batteries are up front and I have the thrust vectors so guessing those conditions are what cause this.

WTScott

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Agree - Ultimates will go on next week and will let everyone know the results as well.

Thanks

jetfisher

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
@Billy Marlin I have my batteries in the little pocket in the front of the changing area. I noticed that the longer i had the tvs the more the boat got wet. Even before the trolling motor and batteries were added to the boat. I did the video at varying speeds up to about 20mph. AT those speeds before the back deck would have been wet just like what your seeing.

CAT Chaser

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Ordered a set of Ultimates. I noticed the "slide" also in choppy conditions. I have the slow speed and docking down pat but still can be unpredictable. I do not like the feel at higher speeds in choppy water. Seems that there is a need to be "on top of the wheel" at all times. (racers will get this) I will be using in full down, sure it will help.

jetfisher

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I just want to add this info. When installing the ultimates make sure you re use the small bushings used on the thrust director. If you had thrust vectors installed I hope you saved these parts. The install was very simple and went pretty easy.

WTScott

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
@jetfisher - Thanks for the reminder on the bushings - I did save them and put them in a safe place where I could find them if I need them ...... now I just need to remember where that was!!

WTScott

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
@jetfisher @Billy Marlin All,

I have had a couple of thoughts on the TV's misting versus Ultimate question that we can throw out and maybe get some random and unscientific data into the mix. This may have been covered before but the it is obvious that the TV's and the Ultimates, et all are going to generate some level of spray / misting when they are operating in the "kick-up" mode. The vane or wing that catches in the jet stream is held up by the higher pressure water on the bottom and lower pressure on the top which will create a spray and pressure vortex similar to the wing of an airplane - reason for winglets. Depending on the design of the boat and location of the jets this could be masked or blocked and not as evident or totally absent.

I would assume that the Ultimates have the same issue if they are used in kick-up mode. Jetfisher is using his in full time down and that is my plan now. I would assume if the TV's were full time down, you would not see the problem.

I am very happy with the handling of the TV's at slower speed - it is a huge improvement. Also helps during trolling. I have not had the problems with the misting / wet deck but I don't have any long runs on my boat yet and my typical mission is short runs to nearby fishing holes. I am looking for a little more positive tracking at the higher speeds thus the move to the Ultimates.

Just some thoughts for input (and recognize that they are potentially totally wrong).

The quest continues.....

Best / Scott