• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Fuel Consumption

AmyB

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Looking at getting a 2014 Scarab 195 HO Impulse (it's their demo boat from last year). How is the fuel consumption? Are you filling up every time you take your boat out?
Wondering how accurate the advertised numbers are (see pic below).

Attachments

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@ScarabMike, can you share your fuel consumption experience?

@AmyB, Welcome Aboard! How do you plan to use your boat? The days activities have a lot to do with how often you need to fill up. If you spend the whole day surfing, tubing, skiing or wakeboarding then you will be a frequent gas station visitor. We spend a lot of time swimming, grilling, etc. So we probably fuel up every fourth outing with a 3.5 mpg fuel efficiency at 30 mph and a 50 gallon tank.

Your chart has the first fuel efficiency numbers that I have seen for the 195. Based on those you would burn 4 GPH at surfing speeds and 7 at ski, wakeboard and tube speed. The load of a tube or ballest added for surfing would increase the fuel consumption. So you could surf for up to 6.5 hours or ski, tube or wakeboard for up to 3.5 hours before returning to the fuel dock. My experience is that most people will want to enjoy water sports for about 30 minutes then relax. If you have a boat full of passengers who want to ride then you could end up pulling them until you run out of fuel. Many tubes hold two or more riders.

AmyB

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I plan to do a combination (cruising, lounging, wake boarding, and tubing). Thanks for your feedback - that gives me a better idea of what to expect. My 2013 Ford Escape can only tow 3500 lbs. The boat and trailer dry weigh 3434lbs - any idea how much more fluids would add to the weight? Is it safe to tow over the 3500 lbs if I'm just going to my boat launch and back (less than 1 mile/multiple times a wk)?

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Welcome aboard @AmyB! If the dry weight is 3434, your going to be close to exceed the 3500 pretty quick. And vehicles have a combined weight you need to take into consideration as well. It is pretty typical going to the lake, even a mile away, to load up the boat and/or the vehicle with all the stuff for the day. Tubes, skis, anchors, ice chests, extra people, their gear, food, water...and then the fuel. How big is the fuel tank? I am guessing at least 35 gallons, right? Regardless, your adding another 250+ pounds of fuel. So your right there at the limit +/-. Many times, it isn't the max limit on the vehicle to pull it, it is the vehicle being able to stop it, if and when someone pulls in front of you or you have to react fast. The other issue is pulling the boat out of the lake. The Escape is a fairly short wheel length vehicle, and you may be in the water with the rear wheels, depending on the ramp. Many ramps are slick, and steep. So your results may vary based on all of this. For me, 4 wheel drive is just a needed benefit at ramps. But again, your situation may be different.

Welcome aboard once again!

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Have you looked at a Yamaha 190? The weight on trailer is just over 2800 pounds and it is more fuel efficient. The Scarab does look like more fun to me though.

31 gallons of fuel will add a little over 200 pounds. You will likely add a similar weight of gear as well.

What are the terrain and traffic like on the way to the ramp?

You may find that you want to rent a slip on the lake if that is possible.

AmyB

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
31 gallon tank, so yeah I would definitely exceed the 3500lbs. The boat launch area is literally one street over, so it's not far at all and the road is paved. Of course the street I have to cross can sometimes be busy.
No, I have not looked at the Yamaha 190 - I will have to check that one out.
The boat ramp isn't super steep. I didn't think of the length of my car, so good point! They salesman said he is pretty confident going over the max weight would be fine for such a short distance. And he also said if I have issues the first time I tow it, he would refund all my money.

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
@AmyB See if they will allow you to hook up to it and tow it around the block prior to purchase.

Master-Spud

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Nautique
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I would worry about any salesman that says it's fine to exceed vehicle ratings. That's basically saying sure you're fine to break the law. Will it be fine, probably, should he be saying that to make a sale, definitely not.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@AmyB Welcome to our community!

Well let me see if I can steer you in the right direction.....

1. The 195 is pretty efficient at cruising speeds. I can travel all day in the salt water (inter-coastal) with a little bit of chop, and in the end of the day, I still have about 1/2 tank left. Now if Im hot dogging, and speeding with the kids, the fuel goes quick. Ive not taken readings with the display to average my fuel, I have only scored it on fun factor. The more fun, the more fuel used.
  2. 3500lbs max towing is not going to do it with the Scarab. The boat itself is not light at all because of how thick the hull is. Another thing to consider is if the boat your looking at comes with a galvanized/coated trailer, it a ton heavier. Also the tower adds to the weight of the boat, so does the Kicker system if your looking at the HO Impulse. To be safe, you need about 5k tow capacity, that be able to handle the Scarab under all conditions. Maxing out your vehicle can overpower your brakes, transmission could overheat, not provide enough counterweight to be able to pull the boat out of the water at the ramp. You may want to consider the Yamaha 190 as like Bruce says is lighter, and more efficient.
Dont get me wrong, yu wont go wrong either way, but unless you upgrade your tow vehicle, youll be happier with the lighter boat.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@AmyB welcome aboard! All info provided above is very good advice. Best of luck as you dial in on the boat that's right for you.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@AmyB , one option would be to get a trailer with brakes which would help with being that close to the tow rating. I tow with an Acura MDX that only has a rating of 4500 and my boat/trailer are close to 2800-3200 dry weight. You will find that your SUV has a maximum load rating which you may also come close to by the time you have the boat supplies, people in the truck, and your trailer/boat.

As far as gas, I think the more gas you use, the more performance you are probably experiencing. Decide if that is for you. With my LS2000 and twin 2-stroke engines, it takes a lot of gas and returns a lot of fun.

Either way, it is great to hear that you are getting into a boat. Good luck

Scarabsteve

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I plan to do a combination (cruising, lounging, wake boarding, and tubing). Thanks for your feedback - that gives me a better idea of what to expect. My 2013 Ford Escape can only tow 3500 lbs. The boat and trailer dry weigh 3434lbs - any idea how much more fluids would add to the weight? Is it safe to tow over the 3500 lbs if I'm just going to my boat launch and back (less than 1 mile/multiple times a wk)?
Hey AmyB where did you get those numbers for the weight of the scarab? I just bought my 195 Ho impulse with trailer and the dry weight was 2600. Do you have a different trailer or the scarab one?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey AmyB where did you get those numbers for the weight of the scarab? I just bought my 195 Ho impulse with trailer and the dry weight was 2600. Do you have a different trailer or the scarab one?
Scarab says 2600 dry for the 195 HO plus 834 for the trailer.

AmyB

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Was back at the boat show again today. The Scarab Rep tried telling me the
max tow weight should only be the boat and to exclude the trailer. Is that true? Also, he pulled out his spec sheet and it showed that the 2015 weighs less than the 2014, but he said they were actually the same bc the old spec sheet was wrong (not sure if I believe that). Is there a weight difference between the 2014 and 2015?

Last edited:

AmyB

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
2014 says 2600 and the 2015 says 2420...that is only for the boat. Don't you have to add trailer weight or no?

AmyB

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I would be using the Scarab trailer. Does this come with brakes?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You certainly have to count the weight of the trailer.

I would not expect you to have a problem on your first tow. Certainly your vehicle can handle being overloaded for a few miles. But you may be risking an eventual mechanical failure. More importantly you woukd risk issues with cornering, braking and accelerating that could lead to an accident.

If you are always going to boat on the same lake then keeping your boat in a slip is an appealing option regardless of tow vehicle.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Don't forget that you'll have towing to the gas station and dealer for maintenance and repair. Dealers usually offer to pick up and drop off for an extra cost but some people live far from a dealer in which case the cost to pay the dealer for transport can increase.