• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Fuel Spillage

jfkraus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Does anyone have any advice for filling up at a fuel dock? I have a heck of a time doing it without spilling some gas in the water and I really want to avoid that.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
how much is "some" and how are you currently doing it?

jfkraus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I've been putting the nozzle in the same way as on land where I have no problems. The problem I'm having is the auto-shutoff on the nozzle doesn't seem to work well when on the water and the gas does not seem to go in as readily and backs up. I avoid trying to fill it all the way up, but when the gas backs up it sometimes overflows before the nozzle shuts off and spills a few tablespoons. I try to sense when it's about to happen but shut it off myself, but I'm not always successful. I'm currently avoiding it all together, but I'd like to figure this out in case I get caught out on the water and need gas. Is there a trick to it?

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
The sound changes as it gets full, before it climbs up the fill hose. But it needs to be fairly quiet to hear it.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I try very hard not to spill, but sometimes some does splash out. I try to keep the nozzle vertical to help some; I have noticed when I twist it horizontally a bit I get more spillage.

Yes, we should strive for zero spills. However, with the evaporation rate of gasoline, if you only get a few drops or a tablespoon, that is long gone into the atmosphere on a warm day even before you leave the dock...

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Could you use your "gallons used" indication from the gauge and prepay for just under that amount? Then the pump would shut off before it reaches the handle. I always reset the "gallons used" when I fill up as a backup for the fuel gauge.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I take several sheets of paper towel off the roll, leaving them together to form one long sheet and fold it in half, then quarters - lengthwise.
I wrap that long thin wad of paper around the nozzle at the base and jam the nozzle into the gashole - (no, I said GAS hole) that creates a seal that keeps the gas from splurging out when it fills. Release the handle the instant you feel that happen and the worst you will get is a bit of gas on the paper towels...they go into the trash at the dock. :cool:

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The sound changes as it gets full, before it climbs up the fill hose. But it needs to be fairly quiet to hear it.
This! I use this technique primarily. If I can't hear due to surrounding noise, I will flip the handle upside down. The shutoff seems to engage sooner and keep me from spilling fuel.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've seen docks use a pad on their nozzle that has a hole cut out in it that fits around the nozzle and catches any potential spills. I'm surprised that the marina wouldn't have those if their nozzles aren't shutting off like they should. I'm not sure where they got them, but I would imagine that they're available on line somewhere.

fireflymedic

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
At the fire department we had 2ft by 2ft haz matt pads that would only soak up fuels not water if i remember right they would float on water. Always got them from EOC so not sure how much or were to get thim. That would be cool to keep a couple on the boat. On the fire truck we would manly use them under the chain saw or any other small engine that leaked oil.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I got a couple booms of this stuff and some pads, I think from Amazon, right after I got my boat. I don't remember how much it was exactly, but it was cheap ($10?). I keep one stuffed in the bilge between the engines and the pads on standby for emergencies.

RForester

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I wouldn't worry about a few table spoons. Gasoline floats on the top of the water and will evaporate within a few minutes.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The fuel docks should use a fuel nozzle 6 inches longer so the fuel will shut off 6 inches further down the fill tube avoiding the splash back.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I take several sheets of paper towel off the roll, leaving them together to form one long sheet and fold it in half, then quarters - lengthwise.
I wrap that long thin wad of paper around the nozzle at the base and jam the nozzle into the gashole - (no, I said GAS hole) that creates a seal that keeps the gas from splurging out when it fills. Release the handle the instant you feel that happen and the worst you will get is a bit of gas on the paper towels...they go into the trash at the dock. :cool:
Just make sure no one puts out their cigarette in the trash. . . . . = )