• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Full Review: Chaparral 203 Vortex Jet Boat..

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Having only 1 motor will do that.

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Did you notice the best range is @6 mph? (200 miles @ 1GPH or 6 MPG) That is weird!

Also only has a 35 gal tank...

TechRider

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Yes the 24' will have 2 engines with 500HP. Here is a preview from their website.

Vortex243Vrx1.jpg Vortex243Vrx2.jpg

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hmmm, Pricing range is $32,995.00 to $40,000.00 for the 203 and the only two options are a tower and a cockpit cover?

Pricey tower.

And the 80's just called. They want their green back.

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Yeah these other companies are definitely going for the "sport" feel of the boats. I got my 242 for the "luxury" feel. I didnt want a "sporty" boat this time. This Chap and the Glastron and Scarab are all competing for the same space. Yamaha has 3 segments in which it competes, and I think that is a good differentiation that they make in their branding.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You are showing age Glass! That green is back!!
Ha, ha, you're right...I remember when boats were brown. Then after we had the first Thanksgiving....

Yeah, well it didn't look good then and now it just hurts my eyes!

Magic

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Its a jetboat.. I like it! Looks strangely familiar though...hmmmm

Lawson2479

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hmmm, Pricing range is $32,995.00 to $40,000.00 for the 203 and the only two options are a tower and a cockpit cover?

Pricey tower.

And the 80's just called. They want their green back.
I had a friend that had a AMC Gremlin that color. I think his parents got it for him so he wouldn't get a date.

TechRider

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
The green reminds me of an Arctic Cat every time I see it. Same color pattern on their ATV's and Side by Sides.

ZR7000SP_TAGrn_2015_Rear3-4.png

Magic

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Now I remember where I saw this green before! Was trying to repress my childhood, again.....

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think they will be nice boats. Not disruptive the market, but nice boats. Now if someone came up with a jet cruiser that could redirect the jet thrust for use as bow thrusters and still take advantage of all that extra space...

I think the best part of all this will be the sales folks that tried to scare people away from jets now trying to push people into them. One sales guy told me I would never be able to get more than $10k for a used jet boat even if it was only a year old because nobody wanted them.

dbrunone

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
"The 203 Vortex VRX continues that tradition with a hull that delivers a smooth comfortable ride with control and stability."

Not something you'd typically see in a Yamaha review...just sayin...

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am a big Chaparral fan and I expect the fit and finish of these boats to be superior to the Yamaha. That said, I think that this being their first attempt at jetboats will most likely lead to some unexpected issues. I also think there are still questions about the SeaDoo power plants. The lack of clean-out ports removes the boat as an option for me. I love seeing the competition and hope it makes all of the boats better.

10-8

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am a big Chaparral fan and I expect the fit and finish of these boats to be superior to the Yamaha. That said, I think that this being their first attempt at jetboats will most likely lead to some unexpected issues. I also think there are still questions about the SeaDoo power plants. The lack of clean-out ports removes the boat as an option for me. I love seeing the competition and hope it makes all of the boats better.
That's pretty much my thoughts as well. I've always like the Chaparral brand and my boat before my SX was a 24' Chaparral Sunesta deck boat. I haven't seen another jet boat with the above the water clean out ports. Has there been any or is this something Yamaha has a patent on?

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Here's my question/issue.......
We all know about how Sea-Doo motors can be troublesome with high priced parts/service and the never ending sensor issues. But, who is servicing these motors? Chaparral dealers? So these Chaparral outboard and I/O mechanics are going to take a couple 8 hour courses and become expert Sea-Doo power plant mechanics? I can't trust my local dedicated Sea-Doo mechanics to do a fair job!