• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Fuse keeps on blowing issue

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
So I have the Wetsounds EQ hooked up to my system. Ive learned that when I have the batteries on and plug the power cord into the side of the boat to charge the batteries the fuse blows. If I have the batteries turned off (Which They probably should be anyway) when I plug in the power cord to charge the batteries the fuse does not blow.

BUT TODAY.....Now with both batteries OFF, I put a new fuse in the eq's fuse port. The moment I turn the batteries on, you can here the fuse blow. Then when I check it, sure enough it is blown. (Power cord NOT plugged into the side of the boat) Not sure what is going on here, whether it is an eq issue or not. The system was professionally installed and this type of issue just started today. Or of I put the fuse with the batteries already on, obviously it still blows... Not sure what is going on here.

ANY HELP APPRECIATED THANK YOU

Sounds like you have a dead short somewhere, (+ straight to -), causing the instant fuse pop. It could be as simple as one or two strands touching at the wiring harness. I would start by checking all the terminations at the install point. It is not uncommon for a stray strand to cause oddball shorts. If you don't see anything obvious, start removing terminations one at a time (If you have a multimeter, disconnect the battery leads and check resistance. It'll save you a lot of fuses.) Remove one wire, check it. Replace that wire and remove another, check it. And so on till you find it.

I'm not sure about the chain of events around the power cord (coincidences do happen).

I thought that when I connected the power cord to the battery charger it may have sent a surge thus blowing the fuse..BUt now its doing it w/ any power cord and ONLY the eq fuse is blowing so i guess a little trial and error coming next time i am off. I actually pulled the boat out of the water to do some mid summer maintenance so ill inspect everything when i have time

Just take your time and work through it. I wish you were closer, I'd help you out. Sounds like you have it narrowed down to the EQ wiring, and there can't be much there.

Let me know what you find or if you hit any dead ends.

Ha if I cant fix the problem Ill bring her down to bama when Im in Auburn come November for the big game

[flag][flag][flag][flag]

if you had a dead short; power wire + touching ground - ; you would blow the fuse instantly regardless of charger being turned on ect. Plus it would snap the fuse at all times.

To me, you have a wire problem or an EQ problem. You had it professionally installed, I would call them and see what they can tell you.

I have ran into a situation 1 time though where the recommended fuse size wasn't enough due to the length the wiring was having to run. a 10amp fuse was called for but put a 15amp in it and problem solved. (wire used to provide power was a touch too small, was blowing fuse as the block). Also note, it doesn't matter if its a 5amp fuse or a 60amp fuse, you get a dead short, its blowing. A usage short can be a lot of different things. BUT if you go up a size or 2 in fuse amperage rating and the problem stops, I would run a larger wire.... amperage = heat and lower voltage which can mess things up!!! my shade tree .02

Last edited:
Now you're talking! Boating season lasts a long time in Bama. :thumbsup:

@geiger41 you need to put an amp meter inline where your fuse holder is or between the battery and your power leads to find out how many amps you're drawing. Is something on constantly to cause this to blow?

If the only device downstream of the fuse is the EQ Then the EQ might be damaged/bad.

@David Analog Any ideas?

Back