• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Gas <what octane level?>

match308

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Is regular gas the best option for the Yamaha? I’ve always been told that Premium was necessary for all boat engines.

seadude

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Pretty sure Yamaha recommends 89 pump octane for the 1.8l engines - that's all I can get a the Jersey shore and they run fine.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Manual says minimum Recommended fuel. ..86 Oct. Page 114 2016 242 limited SE. I use 87 with no issues! Premium is a total waste of money! If you don't mind the extra cost you are better to use 87 no ethanol fuel!

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You run 86 in it. Lowest we have here is 87 and that would be fine too. I run the cheaper regular ethanol at your local gas station but I also use Stabil.

Here's the AR240 owner's manual...

image.png

match308

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks. Great to know

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
True for the Yamaha JB engines, certainly the N/As that do not even have knock sensors - like in my boat.
But - if you drive a Toyota, then I don't know about that...
93 certainly makes a difference. I figured it costs me about two Starbuck drinks - which I don't do anyway, lol - to fill up my truck with 93 vs 87, so I do it all the time!
https://jetboaters.net/threads/premium-vs-regular-93-or-87-octane-for-your-tow-vehicle-toyota-trucks.19891/

--

Hilario Perez

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I use 87 and at least 2 times in the season here in Florida I put in seafoam and the boat run awesome. Two weeks ago me and 3 other buddy's of mine ran from Malabar to Fort Pierce and I had 4 adults
And my SX 240 was running 51 to 52 mph.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I use 87 and at least 2 times in the season here in Florida I put in seafoam and the boat run awesome. Two weeks ago me and 3 other buddy's of mine ran from Malabar to Fort Pierce and I had 4 adults
And my SX 240 was running 51 to 52 mph.
If anything, Yamaha 1.8 N/As run a tad faster on 87. That’s been my experience and others.

That said, if given a choice I would always buy non-ethanol for a boat. We don’t have that choice though around here.

iamcalled

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Along this line what do y’all do to store your boats for winter as far as fuel left in the tank. Was going to use stabil which says to fill tank to 95% full then add 1oz for every 2.5 gallons but i figure these tanks are aluminum or poly and won’t condensate. Thoughts?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Along this line what do y’all do to store your boats for winter as far as fuel left in the tank. Was going to use stabil which says to fill tank to 95% full then add 1oz for every 2.5 gallons but i figure these tanks are aluminum or poly and won’t condensate. Thoughts?
Absolutely, positively, use Stabil for long term storage with any E10!

--

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Absolutely, positively, use Stabil for long term storage with any E10!

--
I'm over cautious. I fill with E-0 "rec fuel" from the rural station, then add Stabil on top of that for storage.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Use Stabil 360 rather than regular stabil. It is a little more expensive, but designed for marine purposes. Plus it is 1oz per 10 gallons.

Papa

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
X2 on Stabil 360. Keeps my lawn equipment running also.