• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Gear Shift Problem

Elaine

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My husband was attempting to put boat on hoist. When we got boat close, he put boat in reverse to slow it down. The gear froze in reverse. He shut boat down and immediately started to check impeller for weeds. He cleaned out a few weeds and unfortunately, he found a rock was in there too. He dislodged the rock so impeller is all clear but gear won’t come out of reverse. Cable? What do you think is wrong with gear?

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi @Elaine. Sorry yo hear you're having problems. Whereas you picked up some junk in your impellers you have likely picked up some junk in your bucket that controls your fwd, neutral & rev. just check back there while on the trailer. you'll likely find a stone or twig interferring with the bucket travel. If you tried to muscle through the problem you may have damaged the cable but hopefully not. Whereas you're on a hoist you may need to access the bucket from a kayak or canoe.

Elaine

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi @Elaine. Sorry yo hear you're having problems. Whereas you picked up some junk in your impellers you have likely picked up some junk in your bucket that controls your fwd, neutral & rev. just check back there while on the trailer. you'll likely find a stone or twig interferring with the bucket travel. If you tried to muscle through the problem you may have damaged the cable but hopefully not. Whereas you're on a hoist you may need to access the bucket from a kayak or canoe.
Thank you so much. I’m not familiar with this “bucket” but maybe my husband and I can look at boat manual and figure out as to where it is located. I hope this is the problem. You are so nice to help me.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thank you so much. I’m not familiar with this “bucket” but maybe my husband and I can look at boat manual and figure out as to where it is located. I hope this is the problem. You are so nice to help me.
It's the black shield that moves up and down over the outlet to your jets. It's not uncommon to get something wedged in there that prevent it from moving.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It's the black shield that moves up and down over the outlet to your jets. It's not uncommon to get something wedged in there that prevent it from moving.
Yup sorry @Elaine what @seanmclean said. If you or hubby try to move the throttle lever from forward to reverse the other person standing behind the boat should see the bucket (thrust deflector) attempt to move.

Elaine

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yup sorry @Elaine what @seanmclean said. If you or hubby try to move the throttle lever from forward to reverse the other person standing behind the boat should see the bucket (thrust deflector) attempt to move.
unfortunately the gear will only go from (not quite neutral) to reverse. It will not move forward. But we will look for this thrust deflector.
ok. We will look fir this black shield. I’m praying it’s a simple something wedged in there. You are very helpful. Thx

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
the black hood with the ribs on it in this picture is a reverse hood it moves up for forward thrust and closes for reverse thrust

Attachments