• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Gel Coat Repair with Spectrum Color Match

Dhow

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Wow nice job I have used spectrum in past it matched very well.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good write up.

BlacklimitedS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I had to repair a spot on our Seadoo. It takes time but can be done. Yours looks really good! Nice job!!!

greg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just repaired mine. Color match was spot on. Had to do two colors grey and white as it was on the bow line.

Attachments

Dough

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Nice work! The two colors would have been tuff.

john94si

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
What product did you use for the suede grey? where can i order it from?

greg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It goes a long way. I ordered one for the boat and had a good size hole and only used half of the little jar.

Mtschelling

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
@greg @Glassman @bgood188 your expertise would be appreciated here fellas. Had the first oops this weekend. Phone was hooked to a charger in the glove box and then was placed into the cupholder. A little acceleration out the phone came and wham right into the area below the glove box :rage:. Mistakes happen. Took a good chip out of the gel, fiberglass underneath is fine.

From the looks of your repair @greg the hole in your hull seemed pretty deep. Would I be safe just going with the spectrum kit or do you think some kind of filler would be needed underneath?

Some pictures for refrence... Also noted that spectrum really does not have a color match kit yet for the 2016's but assume this color white would be the same for the years 2014- 2015?

Any guidance would be appreciated guys!

Thanks.

Attachments

Last edited:

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow. I don't even see any glass behind there. Is that just the picture? Can you stick your finger into the hole? If so (and I will defer to those with more glass experience than I), I think that is wrong and you should be probably making a warranty trip to the dealer. A phone hitting it should certainly not make that much damage unless there is a gap in the glass mat behind the gelcoat. From the pics, that looks to me like there is just gelcoat there...

Oh, which would also mean it is not your friend's fault. :)

Mtschelling

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Think it is just the picture, my apologies; cannot get a finger through the hole. Was hard to get the light to show the glass behind it.

Thanks for the advice though, could see what would be said as to the warranty question.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is there a gap between the gel and substrate? If so, you might be able to get this covered under warranty (gel coat bubble).

You should be able to do straight gel coat for your repair. Scuff up the entire area and a bit around it so the new gel has something to grab onto.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok, well, that is better (that there is glass back there). Still, I have to wonder if there is a bubble or something back there that caused it. I have kissed bolts on docks with the whole weight of my boat and never had anything that big. A dropping (or even flying) cell phone should not have done that much. IMHO.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Does anyone know what would be the Spectrum Color gel coat match for 2012 SX190 blue hull?

--

Mtschelling

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
@Murf'n'surf smallest gap. Enough to get my nail between the gel and the substrate. Very thin gap, but definitely a gap. Will try and get a better picture in the AM. Thanks for the input.

@tdonoughue I was honestly thinking the same thing but did not know if that was a common issue, seems like a weak area. Only thing I remember hitting that area was the phone, and then again on the return because it was connected to the charger cord. Might have been enough of a space behind it to cause it to flex and crack. Agree though, appreciate the input. Assumed worst case scenario and I was SOL and on my own for the repair.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Any gap is a flaw. Get it fixed at the dealer under warranty.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@tdonoughue @Murf'n'surf Great point and catch with the gel coat bubble!

Now, to get this perfectly matching gel coat do you guys just call Spectrum and give them your model numbers for color match?
I have some small dings that could be made worse with a poor match. Any experience with blue?

--