• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Gel coat scuffs - when to buff and when to fill?

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thought I'd get around to eliminating some of the dock rash from the previous owner (and, um, yeah, a couple I put on second time out...).

I've got polishing compound, wet/dry sandpaper down to 2000, and a container of the Spectrum color matched paste, so pretty much good to go - except for one thing I'm still not sure about, even after having watched videos, etc.

When do you just try to buff a scratch out and when should you use the paste first???

Everything I've read/seen includes guidelines reminiscent of recipes from my mother and my mother in law (you know, "add some flour until the dough feels right"). Use paste when the scratch is kinda' deep. Is there a more definitive guideline than "deep-ish"?

Or should I just fill all of them since I have a couple of nicks down to fiberglass (small things, about 1/8" diameter...) that I want to get rid of, which means I'll be mixing up some paste anyway?

If it's deep enough to catch your nail on and doesn't disappear when wet....fill it. If they are hard to see just let it go. You'll have more scratches to come!

Murf is right, but some of the fine scratches that will barely catch a fingernail can be rubbed out - just keep in mind that when you "buff out" a boat you are removing gel coat.

So, ask yourself, "How will this look after it is rubbed out?" will there be a depression? Where on the boat is the offending scratch? If it's front and center where everyone will see it be sure to take your time and do it right. Hidden defects and blemishes can usually be polished unless they are deep enough to have violated the gel coat or color coat. Then fill it.

If your boat has any significant chalking or degradation from UV exposure, polish it first to bring back the color as best you can. Then clean the scratch thoroughly and fill. That way the fill doesn't stand out against the "old" gel coat. The Spectrum paste is color matched to the "Original" color....not the color your boat is after 3 years - unless you take great care of it and it looks great! :cool:

If only you see or know it's there, then let it go. Sometimes an attempt gone wrong could make it worse.

If only you see or know it's there, then let it go. Sometimes an attempt gone wrong could make it worse.

Truer words were never spoken....and some attempts to repair can be a nightmare to correct :eek:

That's why I recommend the "Sharpie" method for those who have a hull that matches colors available....like BLACK! :winkingthumbsup"

Truer words were never spoken....and some attempts to repair can be a nightmare to correct :eek:

That's why I recommend the "Sharpie" method for those who have a hull that matches colors available....like BLACK! :winkingthumbsup"

My largest scratch was from a monster wake at Lake LBJ against a dock. Sharpie every once in a while and nobody can see.

Hmmm... Wonder how close the blue sharpie is to a navy blue hull.... Shoulda' bought black!

Seriously, thanks guys! That's the sort of guidance I was looking for. Tried @Murf'n'surf 's suggestion on the starboard side and More than good enough!
On the port side there are a couple that are definite 'fill' material and painfully obvious. I think I'll try one first and then decide whether to proceed further or get the Sharpie out!

Back