• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Help! Fiberglass repair and gel coat

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length

Boat Crazy

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did you file a claim with your insurance company? If so, what did they say? They should be able to help you out. ( I assume you have full coverage). If you didn't contact them, give them a call and see what they recommend you do without filing a claim. You may be surprised and find out that they are willing to jump in and help you get this resolved quickly and correctly.

Magic

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow... That really doesn't look like that much work relative to what they are charging you. Not sure what your recourse is here, but I would imagine that quote is way way above what is reasonable and customary for that amount of work even if it was perfect, which as you elude to it is clearly not....

Good Luck !

cbus

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Glassman what are you referring to when you say vinyl?

I did claim this on insurance by the way. I will contact them but not really sure what something like this normally would cost. Any ideas?

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
If you did contact your insurance company about this, I may be wrong but they should have sent an adjustor to you or have you take in your boat for an estimate somewhere. Then based on that continue with your claim and get the repairs right. If you did the repairs first THEN went to insurance, you may run into some issues.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If insurance is paying it then at least it's not coming out of your pocket directly, but the insurance company should jump in on your behalf if the repairs aren't done right. I'm no expert but have had several things fixed over the years and my brother is a "glassman". I would have expected $1,200 or so.

Last edited:

Lspeedss

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Vinyl= boat logo lettering.
I do believe that is what @Glassman is referring to.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It bears repeating: document, document, document. Get a notebook NOW and write down everything that happened. Dates and times, who you talked to, what they said. Collect all pictures. Take more next time you are there. Gather all quotes, emails and every other paper.

Unfortunately most states (all?) have what are called mechanics liens. That means that the mechanic can hold on to your boat until he gets paid or until a court tells him to release it because he is owed nothing. To get your boat back you may need to pay the full amount and then sue him to get it back.

I would gather those documents (did I mention you should document?) and call a lawyer in your area. Most will do an initial consultation for free. Find out what your rights are. Sorry I don't think I know many in Ohio...

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you told this shop that your insurance was paying, they are outright scammers! Please tell your insurance company,not your agent, what is going on. They should send out an adjuster to investigate. Places like this are part of the reason insurance is so costly.

After you get the "real" price you may not want the insurance to cover it. From what I see in your pics the cost of repair in my local area would be around $400 plus the cost of your sticker if you had it replaced.

cbus

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The insurance company had me send them the pictures I posted and the quote from this company. The insurance company sent me the check less my deductible and that was it.

I am supposed to pick it up today after I review for the 5th time!!!

I'm willing to have someone else do the work after the season and eat the cost but it's the principle of the thing that irritates me the most. If I had such a lack of respect for the job I did in my life and for the customers I worked for, I wouldn't have one.

I dropped the boat off clean and they are returning it to me filthy with a job that is half assed at best.

I am going to take pictures of everything and document it as well however I fear that I will just have to pay them to get the boat back. I'm not sure that suing them will work unless I take it to small claims as the legal fees would absorb any amount I would get in return and I'm sure he wouldn't pay me so I would have to spend more money trying to get my money.

I really appreciate everyones input and comments...it's nice to have a place where you can vent.

steined

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Try to get your insurance company involved. If you aren't happy with the repair, they might go to bat for you. Sometimes the threat of being removed as an approved repair facility might be all it takes to get them in line with your particular repair. That may not save future people from this scam, but at least it will get you results hopefully. I'm sorry to see you have to go through this.

Scratch that, they issued the check then that's probably out the door. Not sure what to tell you, I haven't experienced such a poor repair shop :(

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's what we are here for! Glad you are coming out clean on the deal. You can post the shop name if you would like so that others know what kind of work they do.

steined

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That's what we are here for! Glad you are coming out clean on the deal. You can post the shop name if you would like so that others know what kind of work they do.
I'd wait till you get your boat back though!

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Glassman what are you referring to when you say vinyl?

I did claim this on insurance by the way. I will contact them but not really sure what something like this normally would cost. Any ideas?
Yes, any graphics damaged. Some leave them off in cases like this.

The insurance aspect could very well explain the high quote.

Again, I didn't see the entire boat, don't know this shop or their work, but ballpark $500-$1500 would be what I would expect. Unless they replaced a rub rail, complete side graphics or other hardware.

I would expect the finished boat to be clean at a minimum, not a mess as you described.

Lspeedss

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Have you spoken with the shop owner about the condition if the boat after repair? Never heard of a body shop not cleaning up.

cbus

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Well, went there and the vinyl wasn't on and the repair had 3 bubbles in it and the color wasn't even close. He said he doesn't guarantee color match because the sun has faded the color of the boat.

When I pointed out how dull his job was compared to the rest of the boat he agreed he needed to add more black and sand out the bubbles.

Evildwarf

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Cbus, sorry for all your heartache and hassle with this obviously shady business owner.
After reading all the advice posted for you I will put in my two cents.
Don't throw good money after bad.
Not sure you have any real legal recourse here.
Cut your losses, pay the loser his ill-gotten money and move on.
They did the repairs, it's obviously horrible workmanship and you are dealing with an immoral business here.
Post bad reviews of the business on line, warn others who may ask where the work was done, confront the owner and cuss him like a dog if it will make you feel better. But move on and enjoy the boat.
Again I feel for you, it's a sh$&tty situation.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Tell them not to put the sticker on until you say it's ok. Why waste a sticker?

Your boat is not old enough to have faded! If anything you might have slight oxidation that will come right off as they buff over the old area while buffing the new coated area.

I really feel for you. Places like this need to be run out of town.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I feel for you. If I was in your shoes I think I'd call the insurance and ask them to assist with getting the boat repaired correctly.

BTW, Is this a boat repair shop? I've always been amazed when guys post up how well their glass jobs came out and that they can't tell where the patch/repair was. But unfortunately all shops aren't the same. From the sound of things it seems like they don't do much work with fiberglass/gel coat and priced it so high thinking that you would either go elsewhere or it would make it worth their while to give it a shot.

Hang in there. Hopefully you can put this all behind you soon.