• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Getting big bass out of an AR195?

BrandonG

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey guys, I'm looking for opinions to see what sounds good and where to mount subs.

I understand what sounds good is subjective but for reference I currently have a Kicker 10" bass tube with the passive radiator and it does a good job of delivering nice crisp bass notes but leaves quite a bit to be desired on the low notes.

I am going to keep the bass tube but will still have about 2000 watts of headroom on my amp to work with.

From what I understand from being in the car audio world to get that deep bass its best to have subs in a ported box but I dont know if that is going to be possible in the AR195, and if it is I feel like the doors to the storage cubbies would have to be open to sound best and so they dont rattle like crazy.

So I was considering adding 4 of the JL audio M6 8" infinite baffle subwoofers, 2 in the front of the boat and 2 in the back. potentially even putting one in the front also where the anchor locker is.
They handle 200w each so I would be in good shape with my amp going with 4 or 5 of them.

Just wondering what you bassheads are doing with these boats to get them sounding good.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My bad, I saw the title and was hoping to see some serious pics of Bass that you pulled out of the lake... :(

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Adding 8” subs isn’t going to add much on the low end of things IMO. In very general terms, bigger driver means lower frequency bass and more air movement....

BrandonG

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have been searching through the forum looking for Ideas and saw a few people using subs mounted in boxes inside the helm storage/under the seat ect. and adding vents. I think that might be the ideal way to go.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Adding 8” subs isn’t going to add much on the low end of things IMO. In very general terms, bigger driver means lower frequency bass and more air movement....
The T/S parameters of a speaker and enclosure determine this, not the size of the driver. There is a reason concerts and venues use 15" speakers as midranges. (Also why car manufactures use 6.5" subwoofers in some high end systems). With that being said, in general I do like to have more cone area for more volume. Four 8s will definitely get down. The Fs on the 10s is much lower and would work much better for low end on an IB install.

The bassheads are doing ported boxes wherever they can fit them and then cutting a hole where the box is and putting a grill over the hole. It seems to work, but you are essentially creating a bandpass box this way.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I put a 10" JL in a custom box within the helm. Sounds good at high volume, but not near what you'll get from the same setup with a car. I also lost some storage. I've seen 12" mounted on a board and located within the rear seat area - but you loose all of that storage.

My next move will be to look for a place to mount 2x 10" Infinite-Baffle JL subs (if they fit) and use the port and starboard helms as "boxes." for them.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I put a 10" JL in a custom box within the helm. Sounds good at high volume, but not near what you'll get from the same setup with a car. I also lost some storage. I've seen 12" mounted on a board and located within the rear seat area - but you loose all of that storage.

My next move will be to look for a place to mount 2x 10" Infinite-Baffle JL subs (if they fit) and use the port and starboard helms as "boxes." for them.
If you can find my old build thread, I had 2 10" IB JLs in my SX210. I lost zero space.

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The T/S parameters of a speaker and enclosure determine this, not the size of the driver. There is a reason concerts and venues use 15" speakers as midranges. (Also why car manufactures use 6.5" subwoofers in some high end systems). With that being said, in general I do like to have more cone area for more volume. Four 8s will definitely get down. The Fs on the 10s is much lower and would work much better for low end on an IB install.

The bassheads are doing ported boxes wherever they can fit them and then cutting a hole where the box is and putting a grill over the hole. It seems to work, but you are essentially creating a bandpass box this way.
I don't disagree with you.... but there's a reason larger diameter drivers go lower. I'm not saying that's a bigger driver is the only factor. Ported subs generally go lower than sealed subs. Diameter and air movement are a big part of the equation. I'm not a car audio guy, but I am a bit of a home theater junkie and love my Hsu sub in my theater room.

BrandonG

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good info in here gents
So I have found kicker makes their Q class L7 solobaric in a ported box that might do the trick, if I take the door off I got about 14" of width but they say the box is;
15.5" High
11.25" Deep
21.5" Wide
I think I can fit that pretty easily in the port side but starboard might be bit tight, I'll have to do some measuring.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I wouldn't go with a Kicker pre-fab box if you want lows. They usually tune those things around 43hz. If you want low, I would go custom and tune it to the low 30s.

poordealguy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I honestly came to this thread hoping to see a new trolling motor fitment without drilling holes in the boat to go hook 'em big bass! Learnt something else along the way...

Chatt_Jetsetter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
My bad, I saw the title and was hoping to see some serious pics of Bass that you pulled out of the lake... :(
rofl, I thought the exact same thing. I've been fishing the last couple weeks off the back of my 203 VRX so my mind was thinking fish.

BrandonG

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well I pulled the trigger and went ahead and bought 2 of the Kicker loaded Q class enclosures and a new amp! Everything should be here next week so I'll report back when its installed.

Daddy Fat Sacs

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Well I pulled the trigger and went ahead and bought 2 of the Kicker loaded Q class enclosures and a new amp! Everything should be here next week so I'll report back when its installed.
Is there update? Did these do the trick?

BrandonG

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is there update? Did these do the trick?
I did get everything finished up and got it out on the water Saturday, the boxes arent tuned to hit those really low notes but I'm pretty happy with how they fit and the performance of the subs overall.. I need to get some vents for the doors otherwise they rattle like crazy. I have the REV10 tower speakers and these subs put the bass on par with the highs they produce.

NewGuy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I read this title all wrong. I thought it said getting my big a$$ out of AR195.

Smiley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I took my father in law fishing last weekend for some big bass in a jet boat…
45BFD02A-C6CA-4406-A782-A1EF02DB29F6.jpeg
Of course it was an armored flat bottom with a 225 Mercury and a jet lower…