• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Getting boat lift installed. Need help with ideas for how to do piling setup for easy on off boat

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hey guys I’m a few weeks out from having my boat lift installed and just need some opinions on what you guys think would be the wisest move on where to put the pilings. I attached a pic of pier and piling ideas I have (and they have) for piling setups. It would need to be offset slightly from the end of the pier more than likely. They said most people go with some kind of setup like option #2 in my pic which makes it easier to use the back of the boat for getting on and off for easier access onto the boat however the drawback there is the piling is kind of in the way from the middle of the pier as you can see In the pic.

I guess I always thought it would only be one option where it’s like option 1 in my pic and text boat sits right in the middle of the dock. But then they say you don’t have as easy of access into the boat and your stepping on seats and climbing over side of the boat to get in each time.

Let’s hear some opinions and feel free to draw me a pic if you have a better idea you think of best looking asthetic wise and for getting on/off the boat.

Thanks!

Attachments

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
How deep is the water on the sides of the dock? Also keep in mind prevailing winds and currents if any. You can also use the new piles to extend the dock now or in the future.

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
How deep is the water on the sides of the dock? Also keep in mind prevailing winds and currents if any. You can also use the new piles to extend the dock now or in the future.
Good points and questions. Should have mentioned. Dock is already out to a point where with Lift I can’t ever go further into canal. Winds change a lot but it’s in a canal at the end and not big waves to from boats coming by which is nice. Water at end of pier is 3-5ft. Under pier at low tide is 1-2 feet. Pier is just right length for good enough water depth at low tide.

Paulie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am in the same boat right now, lol! Waiting on the dock builder at this point. With your situation, I would go for the offset. If you center the boat with the pier, you will block a lot of your view, and making the access to the stern easier is definitely a plus.

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I think I would put it where the stern is at the end of the dock, so the boat would go right or left of the end of the dock.

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I am in the same boat right now, lol! Waiting on the dock builder at this point. With your situation, I would go for the offset. If you center the boat with the pier, you will block a lot of your view, and making the access to the stern easier is definitely a plus.
Like drawing #2 with piling in front of pier in way but easier access to stern for loading and unloading?

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Since I’m on a canal no real views to mess up and just across canal is just a neighbors house.

ENC boater

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mine is set up like #3. Works well just put a "step" off dock . 1 option I would say is a must have once you have it is a remote for lift. Super nice just riding boat up or down.

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Mine is set up like #3. Works well just put a "step" off dock . 1 option I would say is a must have once you have it is a remote for lift. Super nice just riding boat up or down.
Remote is part of the package we are getting. Thanks!

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I can’t make any adjustments to dock or anything new without going back to city and starting whole paperwork process again and it’s been a nightmare. So trying to get this right the first time.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It's easier to refill fuel from Dock if you have access to the side with the fuel filler. Seems a minor thing, but if you fill from cans often to save 30-40 bucks per refill, this is a factor.

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I used Google Earth to evaluate the various Dock configurations in my area and to consider the type of tidal wind/water conditions I need to deal with. I prefer having access for refueling from my floater (tidal waters like your situation) vs trying to access the gas cap from a fixed part of my dock structure.

I also prefer to board the boat from a fixed part of the dock, while the lift is in the up position and in the cradle. It is easier for me to deal with the cover and maintenance stuff, while the boat is up and out of the water. Before passengers board, I lower the boat in the water (after my pre-flight checklist) and start taking in the day’s rations.

I would not fret too much on passenger access to the boat while it is on the lift (or in the down position and ready to board). The nimble folks can make it to our well designed sterns and in cases when less agile passengers need to board, you can pull the boat up to your floater and tie-up before they embark.

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
It's easier to refill fuel from Dock if you have access to the side with the fuel filler. Seems a minor thing, but if you fill from cans often to save 30-40 bucks per refill, this is a factor.
This is a good point. My fuel side is not the side I will keep it in normally but I can always turn boat around after lowering of Lift for fueling

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Easier said than done. I end up carrying the bins to the other side. Spinning the boat alone is not a total piece of cake. (Or, not hard, but easier to load from the "wrong" side than to spin it by myself) two handed, it's a breeze.

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Does a lift only work one way or when you need gas can you put boat in so that fuel is on right side?

I plan on keeping boat with bow facing out to canal so I can drive right out each time with no reverse. If I drive in the other way with bow facing the end of our canal the fuel would be on right side? Will Lift work right for either orientation/direction of boat or it only works one way?

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My lift was installed such that the stern cradle is slightly lower than the bow cradle. This helps when “driving-on” for bow in docking. I would assume the “back” of your lift will be in lower water (due to shore-line contour), so I am not sure you want to be sucking up potentially more sand and stuff, if you are docking stern in. Our boats aren’t the cats-meow for reverse handling, so you might be adding a higher level of repeated complexity/stress with your stern in docking plan. I’d recommend bow in docking on the lift and dealing with the re-fuel from your floater, where you an orient the boat to expose the boat’s gas cap where needed.