• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Golf Cart Build

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Figured you guys might find this interesting. Right around COVID I picked up a 2001 EZGO TXT Golf Cart for $100. It was is relatively rough shape. It probably would have ran with some new batteries but of course I decided to tear it down and re-build it.

Here are the pictures of how it started:

IMG_0397.JPGIMG_0446.jpegIMG_0448.jpeg

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Next up dis-assembly and some pressure washing.

IMG_0481.jpegIMG_0482.jpegIMG_0483.jpegIMG_0484.jpegIMG_0488.jpegIMG_0490.jpegIMG_0499.jpegIMG_0500.jpegIMG_0509.jpeg

Attachments

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Once everything was cleaned up, I got rid of the rust and painted the frame in POR15. I also re-painted other metal pieces that could be retained.

IMG_0522.jpegIMG_0523.jpegIMG_0524.jpegIMG_0527.jpegIMG_0538.jpegIMG_0537.jpeg

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
The cart got all new suspension (shocks/leaf springs/tie-rods/brake pads/brake lines) and a 6" lift kit. This was all installed along with new 23" tires/rims. After this I made no progress for over a year. Until I started up a few weeks ago.

IMG_0552.jpegIMG_0553.jpegIMG_0554.jpegIMG_0585.jpeg

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Looks like a fun project! :winkingthumbsup"

Since I don't live in Florida I don't know much about golf carts. 😆

I know my Dad (folks live in The Villages, although Dad has passed) had replaced the engine in his cart to something more powerful than the stock engine and went with a battery watering system.

Jim

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
So finally decided to order the parts to finish this thing up (for now). All electrical components have been upgraded except for the motor. New 500 amp controller, heavy duty solenoid, and I switched from the manual gear shift to electronic button for Forward and Reverse. I also switched from 36v to 48v. I used some left over 0 gauge wire to hook everything up. As well, an onboard bluetooth charger. After all this she as alive and had a nice test drive to the front of the house. (Have to go a little bit of ways to make it from backyard to front).

IMG_1934.jpegIMG_1935.jpegIMG_1955.jpegIMG_1956.jpegIMG_1963.jpegIMG_1963.jpegIMG_1964.jpegIMG_1965.jpegIMG_1967.jpeg

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Looks like a fun project! :winkingthumbsup"

Since I don't live in Florida I don't know much about golf carts. 😆

I know my Dad (folks live in The Villages, although Dad has passed) had replaced the engine in his cart to something more powerful than the stock engine and went with a battery watering system.

Jim
These things are money pits for sure lol. I am well over what I thought I would spend, but I also plan on keeping this thing for a very long time.

I am curious on the watering systems, but that is one of the last things on my mind currently lol

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Consider adding a battery watering system. It's an easy peasy way to keep the batteries topped with water.

Jim

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I drove the cart up to a local shop (we live in golf cart friendly city, just can't cross major roads). They are going to handle an alignment, and do a once over the cart to make sure everything I did is good.

In the meantime, the new body is on order, along with a rear seat kit. It is also time to start re-finishing other pieces.

The rear basket was dissembled to get the rear frame rails out. They were sanded down and cleaned. Ditto for the front seat back plastic cover. If it weren't for 20mph winds today, I would have painted them but that will wait. Once this was apart I put on a new seat cover.

IMG_1989.jpegIMG_1990.jpegIMG_1991.jpegIMG_1992.jpegIMG_1993.jpeg

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The cart got all new suspension (shocks/leaf springs/tie-rods/brake pads/brake lines) and a 6" lift kit. This was all installed along with new 23" tires/rims. After this I made no progress for over a year. Until I started up a few weeks ago.
Was that by choice or trouble getting parts?

I have been wanting a gas powered Club Car(aluminum chassis) if I can find one for Christmas. Trying to get son interested to drive.

These things are money pits for sure lol. I am well over what I thought I would spend, but I also plan on keeping this thing for a very long time.
I am curious on the watering systems, but that is one of the last things on my mind currently lol
Its usually the case on restoration but you'll know it's "All New" for the years you'll enjoy it problem free....

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
By choice, my wife wanted the bathroom redone so budget went towards that. Then I got yelled at for not having the golf cart complete so here we are now lol.

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Something about batteries vs engine I can't seem prefer.

Its a newer 48V or 36? Those batteries were $$$.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Something about batteries vs engine I can't seem prefer.

Its a newer 48V or 36? Those batteries were $$$.
was originally 36v, I converted it to 48v.

Gas is such a PITA I don’t want to ever deal with it lol everything we own except my truck and the boats are now electric. Batteries were about $800. When they die I probably will switch to lithium. It might even be cheaper by that time.

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ouch.
I know myself and won't charge it until I want to use it.

why the new body? old one didn't look bad or did you go custom?

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Ouch.
I know myself and won't charge it until I want to use it.

why the new body? old one didn't look bad or did you go custom?
The body was salvageable, needed quite a bit of work though. There was cracks and plenty of deep scrapes.

The new body is completely different, it’s pretty bad ass IMO.

I already used to plugging the boat in so not too much different. Having an onboard charger helps too.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
New body and rear seat kit came in today.... Dropped the body off at my local shop for PPF. This thing should be relatively wrapped up once I get that back.

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Where's the before body picture?
Color chip?

Jeez your as hush hush as Yamaha.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Where's the before body picture?
Color chip?

Jeez your as hush hush as Yamaha.
I didn't take it out of the box, just took it straight to the dealer. Here is link to what it looks like though:

In red

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I didn't take it out of the box, just took it straight to the dealer. Here is link to what it looks like though:

In red

That does looks pretty bad-assed!

Of all the colors, I think the red pops the most. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

I wasn't looking for anymore projects, but this one would be cool to do.

By the way, my Dad did the update from 36V to 48V as well and was very please with the performance difference.

Jim