• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Good deals? Choices..... AR190 vs AR192

Tobes

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Getting close to buying. I have 2 deals setup (both out of state). One is for a left over (brand new) 2015 AR190 and the other is for a 2016 AR192. I really wanted the AR192, but I think I am getting a good enough deal to settle.

'15 AR190: $26,900 OTD
'16 AR192: $35,300 OTD

Pretty sure the 35k is inline with current pricing on the '16 models. Debating on pricing really at this point. It will be our first boat. Have a family of 4 and we do not plan on taking tons of people out. Will be doing some skiing/tubing/wakeboarding eventually. Ive done a lot of reading and some people believe the AR190 isnt up to part w/ passengers and skiiing but others say its just fine.

Thanks for the input (and any other input people have). Not looking to jump to a 212/240 right away. Would like to get acquainted with boating and prefer not to lug tons of people around quite yet. For this reason, I feel the AR190 is a better purchase.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Tobes Hmmm... Tricky choice. Really a no brainer for the money/value aspect of it - the 2015 AR190 wins hands down (IMO). But, the 2016 AR192 has that gorgeous tower, and the interior fit and finish is actually quite impressive.

I can tell you with confidence that a properly tuned 190 will pull skiers, tubers and boarders very nicely. A 192 has a bit more power and top speed, but they are absolute gas hogs, too, and suffer from heat soak meaning you will be upgrading the intercooler right away to benefit from the supercharger. I can not imagine a 190 wouldn't be able to do something a 192 can, for what you are looking to do. Either one will benefit from a PerfectPass, soundproofing, etc.

I think you are making a great choice going with a 19ft as a first boat. They lack in displacement and all that, but are much easier to handle -- in and out of water -- great for a first boat.

As nice as the AR192s are, at the end of the day I don't know if I would personally want to pay 35+k for it. But that is just me.
There is an ongoing discussion about timing chain failures in these boats, I personally would not worry about it too much with either of these two boats. That said, an extended warranty would be a top item on my list of dealer extras.

Good luck with your decisions and keep us posted!

--

Tobes

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I saw the timing chain issues and it seems to be random (albeit an issue, and major one to boot). With the timing chain, does it destroy the motor or is there a fail safe? I did not get that far into it honestly but have read a little bit. If its just the timing chain that breaks, that shouldnt be a tough fix provided no valves/pistons get wacked.

I agree 35k is a steep price but like you said the boat is very nice. I will be doing most of my boating at 2000' in elevation and it gets VERY hot (110 this weekend) so if the S/C motor heatsoaks easily, maybe its not ideal for the desert.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just quickly.
Supercharger would be great at the elevation, that that is where they shine, and intercooler upgrade is relatively easy and inexpensive.

Regarding timing chain, if it breaks it's bad, it's not just the timing chain. Unfortunately most of the time it is catastrophic and the engine is ruined, with at least a partial rebuilt required.

That said, these engines are still among the most reliable on the planet, timing chain issues notwithstanding.

Tobes

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Yes, I gathered that the timing chain issues are rare so I am not too worried. One of the reasons I am choosing the Yamaha is their motor. I have owned Yamaha dirt toys and the motors can take a beating!

I really want to buy local but I think I will have to make the drive. Local dealer wants $37,500 for a SX192 which is way out of hand I feel. The AR190 is a 5 hour drive each way and AR192 is only 2 hours each way. I am definitely leaning towards the 190. Pretty upset at the financing rate as that is why I was choosing to buy right now. They said they cannot do anything about it though (is that true? I know it can change for vehicles).

They want to stick me at 7% ;/ Was hoping for 2.99 for 60mo/5.99 for 120 as I wanted to get the boat paid of in 5-6 years. Not sure what it takes to get 2.99% as I have next to no revolving credit, 750+ credit score, and a good paying job.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Faster

SCSX190

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Split the difference a new puck up a 2016 Ar190

Tobes

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Split the difference a new puck up a 2016 Ar190
Whats the point though? Not much gain really. And they wont come off the 2016 AR190 like the 2015. Still going to be $31,500 OTD for the 2016 AR190. Another $4,500 for not much gain.

sx998

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
They tried to stick me with a crappy rate and told them that I was going to walk. They were able to give me the 2.99 for 60 months then it goes up. I agreed and we made a deal.

SCSX190

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It is my understanding that the 2016 have the upgraded timing chain/ parts, they come with 4 years of yes, and the low rate @ 2.99 which is what I got. If you can't get the better rate on the 2016 get a long warranty on the 2015 and eventually upgrade to the newer timing chain. That will run a couple of grand as the kit is 1500.

Tobes

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Warranty (4 years of YES) only applies to 24' model boats. If it was good on the AR190, it would have been a no brainer.

SCSX190

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have 4 years of yes on my 2016 SX190?? Just purchased new 30 days ago. You may want to verify that information

The Yamaha website shows 4 years of yes for all boats.

http://yamahaboats.mobi/offers

SCSX190

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Scroll down to the last deal that says 2.99%. It is for all boats and comes with 4 years of yes. I just purchased SX190 on July 8th and have 4 years of YES. Offer ends on 8.23.16

Tobes

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Scroll down to the last deal that says 2.99%. It is for all boats and comes with 4 years of yes. I just purchased SX190 on July 8th and have 4 years of YES. Offer ends on 8.23.16
You got a bonus then. They all say "All 24' boats only" next to them. Keep buying from that dealer :)

Matt J

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

On 24 FT boats....... I was going to go postal since I paid for 3 extra yrs of YES coverage for $1200..... I sill overpaid I think.....

SCSX190

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It says all boats at the top of that picture. Where does it say 24 only? I am telling you, it is for all boats. I know, I just got that deal on a 2016 190. It does say or 500 so maybe your dealer gave you 500 off instead of the 4 years of yes and charged you for 3 years of yes. My dealer just told me I get 4 years of yes for free and didn't even mention the or 500 off. If a dealer is telling you that deal is for 24 boats they are full of shit.

Last edited:

Matt J

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

On 24 FT boats....... I was going to go postal since I paid for 3 extra yrs of YES coverage for $1200..... I sill overpaid I think.....
It says all boats at the top of that picture. Where does it say 24 only? I am telling you, it is for all fucking boats. I know, I just got that deal on a 2016 190. It does say or 500 so maybe your dealer gave you 500 off instead of the 4 years of yes and charged you for 3 years of yes. My dealer just told me I get 4 years of yes for free and didn't even mention the or 500 off. If a dealer is telling you that deal is for 24 boats they are full of shit.
? The way I read it is....... 0 down/2.99 APR for 60 months on all boats, and 4 yrs of YES coverage OR $500 incentive on all 24' boats only!! I have to go back to the dealer anyways tomorrow since the fianace guy called me to let me know we have to go sign another paper for the loan, so I will take it up with them. Pretty misleading advertising if you ask me.

SCSX190

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Call Yamaha directly and ask them to clarify before going to the dealer. I know for a fact that the 190 were part of the extended warranty deal 30 days ago. Let us know what they say so others are informed on the incentives. The 500 off option is for 24 boats only, the 4 years of yes is for all boats according to the add.

Matt J

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Call Yamaha directly and ask them to clarify before going to the dealer. I know for a fact that the 190 were part of the extended warranty deal 30 days ago. Let us know what they say so others are informed on the incentives.
The key is 30 days ago!!!! July had different incentives. The salesmen told me they chance shit every month. Consider yourself lucky, cause that is a sweet deal.