• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Good deals? Choices..... AR190 vs AR192

SCSX190

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It's your money amigo, personally I would call Yamaha and get clarification. Those are the same ads that were up 30 days ago when I got my deal. 2.99 and 4 years of coverage.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I will be doing most of my boating at 2000' in elevation and it gets VERY hot (110 this weekend) so if the S/C motor heatsoaks easily, maybe its not ideal for the desert.
Faster
I chuckled at @Speedling's post, but he is right especially given you're at elevation. Heat soak is manageable with a simple intercooler swap (SVHO OEM basically fits the SHO). You may also need to repitch and do a couple simple air intake mods. But I would probably steer towards 192 given your circumstances.

I can not comment on the financing aspects of it.

190 may be adequate, and there is a couple of things you could do to boost your low end pulling power, but I really would not be able to tell how well that would work at 2,000ft. It works great at (very humid) 400ft, but that's all I know.

--

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's your money amigo, personally I would call Yamaha and get clarification. Those are the same ads that were up 30 days ago when I got my deal. 2.99 and 4 years of coverage.
You mean the same as this (below)? I see "Incentive on all 24' boats only".
upload_2016-8-12_20-40-16.png

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Tobes This is a big decision, maybe you can find a member in your area (we have a member map) who could let you ride along.
You could be surprised either way.

Tobes

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Thanks for the replies. I think we are going to give the 190 a shot. Being our first boat, expectations should be low, right? If everything goes well and we get continued use and enjoyment (dumb to think we wont, right?), we will probably upgrade in a few years. I think at the price, I wont lose too much value over the next 5 years, at least not enough to feel bad about the purchase. Wakeboarding and skiing will be last on the agenda as tubing/fishing/cruising will be the majority of life for a bit.

And I guess I screwed up a bit on elevation. Lake is only about 1k feet, not as high as I thought. Im sure the power will be alright, at least to start with.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Guys, it's not 4 years of YES coverage. Well it is, but they just roll your first year of YES into your existing 1 year factory warranty period, which kind of sucks but it is what it is. When your paperwork arrives for the YES warranty you will see its actually 36 months, not 48 months like you would think. Just don't go in thinking you get the 1 year factory warranty + 4 years of YES giving you 5 years in total coverage like I assumed lol.

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Look carefully at the 190 vs 192 . I just got a 2016 SX190 and I an VERY happy with it, but there are a lot of small differences that make a great difference. Ignore the engine for the moment; the 192 has black edging on the vinyl and this will stay looking better/cleaner longer. The lower swim platform already has the seadeck on the upper and lower swim platform vs the 190 only has Hydroturf on the upper swim platform. The speakers are better on the 192, the rub rail is stainless steal on the 192 vs rubber on the 190. the 192 hull is all color vs the 190 is white with color gel coat above water line - the full color hull will look nicer longer and wont show dirt as much. cup holders are stainless steel on the 192 vs plastic on the 190. I thought I read the 192 has trailer breaks vs the 190 doe not, but this could be wrong.

the wheels and rims are better on the 192. the 190 has steel rims vs the 192 has aluminum I think - but either way better and I think the tires are better too, but this just may be what my dealer had - either way look for this. The bimini on the AR is much smaller that the SX and the AR's is harder to put up from what I hear. My SX190 goes every bit of 44 - 46 on flat lake with bimini down, just me and not a full tank of gas and is really pretty good on gas mileage (for a boat).

anyway - lots of small differences other than the engine between the 190 and 192 so look close and long and find whats important to you.

side note I bought mine in July and I got 3 years of YES for free and a free galvanized trailer....

ALSO - My dealer did not show me all the drain plugs so no matter what direction you go check the manual and find them all so you know where they are......

Last edited:

SCSX190

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Guys, it's not 4 years of YES coverage. Well it is, but they just roll your first year of YES into your existing 1 year factory warranty period, which kind of sucks but it is what it is. When your paperwork arrives for the YES warranty you will see its actually 36 months, not 48 months like you would think. Just don't go in thinking you get the 1 year factory warranty + 4 years of YES giving you 5 years in total coverage like I assumed lol.
That is correct, 1 year factory plus 3 years extended coverage.

IMG_20160813_063145435.jpg

SCSX190

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You mean the same as this (below)? I see "Incentive on all 24' boats only".
View attachment 44081
Originally, that ad was for 190/192 and 24 I believe, they then changed to all boats. The 500 off is for 24 only but the 4 years of yes is for all boats as the ad says. I may be wrong and will call Yamaha today and post their response.

Last edited:

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For me the trailer would be a deal breaker; If it is anything like it used to be, the 192 comes with breaks and the 190's do not. Just know what the case is since having breaks is a nice feature given that the 190 with weight is close to "requiring" brakes in my state

SCSX190

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
To inquire about the YES program call Yamaha @ 866-yes-extd. They are currently closed and open m-f. They should be able to tell you what is currently covered by the program. Given the recent timing chain problems with pre 16 builds I would recommend purchasing YES from Yamaha.

Swimmingly

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Pros for the ar192

-If the 4 years of free YES warranty is only available on the 2016 ar192, and not the ar190, that's a huge deal. A deal breaker IMO. For a new boater, maybe even more important to have a 4 year warranty.

-Performance (in my best Ricky Bobby voice..."if you ain't first, you're last") lol.

-The ar192 trailer.

-All the benefits of a slightly modded ar192, and refueling distances won't be an issue on your lake.

-The 2016 timing chain upgrade is getting you closer to $30k if you update a 2015 ar190, before it kills itself . A 2015 engine rebuild, without "4 years of free YES warranty", would be a killer hit if there's no disposable income available.

-The ar192 dealer is over 200% closer to you, which could also be huge if you need any support. 4 hours round trip or 10 hours round trip?

-The hull, accessory, trim, and tower upgrades alone are like the cherry on top, or the whip cream, if you don't like cherries lol.

-If you ever need to sell or trade-in the ar192, you'll be in a different world vs the ar190.

$$ Cons for ar192 $$

-higher fuel costs and a bit more maintenance, most likely.

-the purchase price and might not be possible within the budget.

-If that's the case, forget all the ar192 "pros" and enjoy your new ar190.

-

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Swimmingly Great post! I agree with most everything you are saying, with some caveats.
I consider breaks to be potentially more trouble than they are worth with a small trailer. Electric, maybe, but the Shorlandr' are just added maintenance and possible problems down the road. Unless you are towing with a wrangler (I love wranglers!) trailer shop owners and mechanics I talked to would not recommend installing breaks in that trailer. Again, much depends on your tow vehicle and where you are.
Regarding timing chain - not all 2016 have an upgrade, so careful there. Besides, in non-SC (190) engines TC failures have been exceedingly rare, I don't think there is any reason to consider TC failure an accident waiting to happen in a 190. 192s - I don't think we know.

--

SCSX190

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@swatski Can you be more specific about which 16s have the upgraded timing chain and which do not? I read the change occurred in July of 2015.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski Can you be more specific about which 16s have the upgraded timing chain and which do not? I read the change occurred in July of 2015.
The timing chain+ parts was replaced in all 1.8l engines, N/A and supercharged, produced after 07/15.
This from a good source.

Swimmingly

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
During my recent searches it was any of the boats after July 2015 that got the timing chain upgrade.

@swatski Thanks for your compliment.

My trailer became more important after I realized I' be at my max tow weight with my 4 door Wrangler.

The FSH's aluminum trailer (lighter weight @ under 700lbs) and the included trailer brakes will be helpful in my situation. That one kind of snuck-up on me, since I had FSH Sport "target fixation" lol.

I know the OP mentioned boating at higher altitude, and possibly towing 5 hours from the dealer. An upgraded trailer could become a big deal for him too.

Last edited:

SCSX190

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The timing chain+ parts was replaced in all 1.8l engines, N/A and supercharged, produced after 07/15.
This from a good source.
So that means all vins ending with H 16 and greater have the upgraded parts and F 16 have the old style?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Tobes

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Ended up grabbing the 2015 AR190. Dont think it was a bad decision considering my first boat. Ended up at 26k (but I still need to pay taxes) driving off. 3 year YES plan, Yamaha premium cover (thing is pretty nice actually, I was surprised), cobrajet fins installed. Considering no dealer would go lower than 29.5k (no taxes) WITHOUT warranty/cover on a 2016 AR190, figure its a pretty solid deal.

Good starter boat that I wont feel bad about when it depreciates. Plan to have it nearly paid off in 5 years (or trade in sooner).

Also to update, I have an 82" garage opening (81" if you dont count the rubber flap seal). I must have the perfect angle driveway as I was able to get it in without a drop hitch with a Ram1500! Fits nice in the garage.

Last edited: