• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Got a new radio!

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Another outstanding writeup. Thanks man. It's very likely I may end up cribbing your entire playbook of upgrades if I end up with a Scarab. And either way, it's a lot of fun watching you pimp your ride.

A few questions:
  • What made you choose that radio unit? compatibility with remotes/speakers? user reviews? It looks great, I just don't know what considerations go into it. Are we stuck with Sony if we want to use the stock remotes?
  • The replacement USB port looks great -- is that 2 USB ports and a 3.5mm? Was it a simple swap or did you need to modify the stock opening?
Yea, I chose the Sony because it had rave reviews, and the electrical and remotes were plug and play. It sounds sooo much better, and the EQ is awesome.

The USB port adapter was drop in. Took less than 5 minutes to remove and replace while I had the radio off. You can barley see it next to the radio in the behind picture. I HIGHLY recommend this radio.

I have the upgraded remotes coming in soon. For these to work because they are alpha numeric, you have to run the Sony data cable. That will be a another writeup on its own, lol.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just wanted to update everyone on this. The new radio is a HUGE upgrade over the OEM one. The music sounds incredible, and the lows, mids, and highs are crisp. I would recommend this mod to all Scarab owners. It takes a couple hours to do, but you will love every minute. The new display is great also. Do a search before you buy. These can be had for about $160. Ive seen them upwards of $270+.

Joseph Baxter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I got this Sony to replace the stock one. I dont need the headaches of the connectors getting corroded and the face plate dying. From all the reviews on this radio, its supposed to be awesome. Ill get some install pics soon!

Awesome....I hate the stock radio...looking to change ours out.

DJMattyT

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@ScarabMike do you know what Amps those are? Which ones for which speakers?
Thanks

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@DJMattyT The top one is the sub, middle=front, bottom=rear.

They are Kicker Marine amps. Not sure on the part number. I never got all the way in there to check. They are plenty loud.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have installed the front remote. Very scary to cut into the dash...LOL. Well worth it. The unit lights up with a white LED display, and blue buttons. Love it!

DJMattyT

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Awesome man! Yeah Im curious what kind of power runs to the speakers lol

DJMattyT

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't think these are that high in watts. The sub may be 100 watts at most. Ill tell you the numbers when I get in there this weekend.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@ScarabMike .......... KILLER choice of a head unit. It LOOKS superb !@
Nice write up .... Becoming so typical of ya, Son ! Well done. :winkingthumbsup"
"Don't Even Leave The Airport" (ie, DELTA) is still ready when you are ........ LOL !
I got lots of projects I know you're dying to come help me with ........ LOL !

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Me too!! Installing my inheritance in the boat from Grandpa this weekend!!!

12track.jpg

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
LOL !!! Good one .............. my inheritance in the boat from Grandpa
:winkingthumbsup"

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great write-up and I can't believe those amps. That is the stock, amp setup in the HO model?

razorxp

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If only instructions for everything I buy were written by you! Great detail and so helpful.

Thanks

DJMattyT

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Has anyone been able to get Sirius XM on the OEM Stereo that come with the Scarab?

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@ScarabMike on the Display and on the remote, what is actually displayed? Does it scroll through the song artist and song title or does it just show up as iPod or AUX? I am looking at purchasing this stereo and the remotes, but want it to actually display the song and artist, not just AUX or iPod....