• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

GPS Installation Tips for a 2014 242 Limited S

We just did a Garmin 741XS GPS/Radar combo on a brand new 242 LS. I'll get some pictures up later today of it for you.

If you mount a transducer inside the bilge, notice that Yamaha chose to mount the transducer on newer boats that have a thru-hull transducer, offset to the side. This is done to keep the drainage flow clear in the center keel trough, so the boat will drain correctly without creating a dam or trash building up around something in the way. It can easily be set off center, but be aware of the slope of the hull, some transducers will have an angled version, others won't. If you have a standard external but mount it internal in epoxy, you can set it at an angle parallel to the longitudinal and lateral axis, not the hull dead rise angle.

Almost forgot, the best use of the plotters is night boating so pay attention to the night mode options the different plotters have.

If you mount a transducer inside the bilge, notice that Yamaha chose to mount the transducer on newer boats that have a thru-hull transducer, offset to the side. This is done to keep the drainage flow clear in the center keel trough, so the boat will drain correctly without creating a dam or trash building up around something in the way. It can easily be set off center, but be aware of the slope of the hull, some transducers will have an angled version, others won't. If you have a standard external but mount it internal in epoxy, you can set it at an angle parallel to the longitudinal and lateral axis, not the hull dead rise angle.

You sure it was not because the transducer is not v-shaped? I have never had a problem with drainage. Allowing garbage in your bilge is another issue entirely.

Just about all thru-hull 'ducers I've seen are mounted off center because the hull in the flat portion is more consistent in thickness. Typically in the crotch or the v of the keel, there are many layers of glass which quickly flares out to a lesser thickness.

Have to dig out the instructions for mine. It was basically mount it facing the right direction, pointed straight down in an area free of bubbles in the water flowing under the boat and free of voids in the hull. I tested it as it said by filling the bilge with water and comparing it to the image when I put the transducer in the water outside the hull. My biggest worry was mounting next to the factory transducer but folks on YJB said they had done it with no problems so I went for it rather than drilling a hole in the boat. If I did it again I might mount the transducer on the outside of the hull but can't say for sure.

@davel501 , I like your install, clean and it works and glad it does. A thru hull or shoot thru the hull is much preferred to transom mount, but the obstacles are greater, even though it doesn't seem that way up front. Good info here. The whole point is to provide not only good ideas but the pitfalls too, so the next guy that tries it out knows all the reasons why, and the why nots too. It is a very clean install and please let us know if it works in all phases of flight!

Just a word of warning with the DSI transducers, they need to be mounted outside for best performance. You can mount them in a thru hull configuration, but it's not recommended. Mine is mounted in almost the exact same location as @Kevin M. Except mine is a little lower, my transducer actually sits just below the hull.

I think the Ram mount suction cup is a good idea. Until you get the feel of where you want it to be permanently installed.
Where did you purchase yours??

I think the Ram mount suction cup is a good idea. Until you get the feel of where you want it to be permanently installed.
Where did you purchase yours??

Bass Pro. I actually went to the store and cobbled together what I wanted from 2 sets to get it to wrap around the dash like that.

Here is where I mounted my 7" Lowrance GPS. I have a lot of mounting pics if you want to see them let me know. I like it in this position. Does not block my view, I have access to all controls and it's easy to see and navigate channels on the river.

Lowrance1.jpg

Lowrance4.jpg

The dash change between '12 and '13 makes sense. I like it...easier to do exactly what you did!

I just sent @cane.mba a message, but how do most of you go about wiring this up to the boat? I plan on installing my Lowrance Elite-4 HDI this weekend and need to know how to hook up power to it. Can it be done by running on a switch?

Thanks!

I just hooked mine to the back of the 12v outlet.

@prorider17 I used Vampire taps and if memory serves me correctly I tapped into the 12v power adapter line. Are vampire taps, the best option, no not really a spliced connection with heat shrink tubbing would be better. Is it professional, nope, was it easy absolutely! Also in the two seasons it's been installed I've had zero problems! Although I probably used 1/4 of a roll of electrical tape to cover the tap...

image.jpg

image.jpg

Back