• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Greasing the drive shafts - how in sam #ell?!

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I kept a close eye on the housing and read the feel of the grease gun while executing those 20 pumps. If I blew the seals out, I'd think I'd see grease coming out of the housing somewhere, heard a pop, or felt some resistance leading up to the blowout, but I didn't experience any of those. I guess I'll find out when I float the boat in a few more weeks...

Spooling

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What sort of grease are you guys putting in there? Would standard marine grease work?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My service manual calls for 1.2 oz after 10 hours and .2-3 oz every hundred hours afterwards. I was under the impression that the extension hose was empty from the factory. So the initial service called for more grease to fill the hose. :dunno: But since you don’t have the hose I would have assumed .2 oz which is more like two to three pumps on a standard grease gun. I could be totally wrong. Or maybe your boat has a different service requirement.

I could see how extension hose could cause problems if no one greased the bearing for years. In fact when I got my boat I took the hoses off and pumped fresh grease through them because I did not know the history.
All grease guns vary the amount of grease per stroke. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think there is a such thing as a "standard pump" amount. It's always best to check with the package or manual the gun came with as it will tell you the amount (usually in ounces) per stroke the gun is designed for. For instance my gun is designed for 4 oz per 100 strokes and yours is likely different unless it's the same brand and/or design. A newer 1.8L engine (without the hose) the manual should state at 10 hours fill the bearing housing with 1.18 oz of grease, at least that is what it is for my 2016 engine which does not have the hose.

Last edited:

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
All grease guns vary the amount of grease per stroke. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think there is a such thing as a "standard pump" amount. It's always best to check with the package or manual the gun came with as it will tell you the amount (usually in ounces) per stroke the gun is designed for. For instance my gun is designed for 4 oz per 100 strokes and yours is likely different unless it's the same brand and design as me. A newer 1.8L engine (without the hose) the manual should state at 10 hours fill the bearing housing with 1.18 oz of grease, at least that is what it is for my 2016 engine which does not have the hose. If yours says 1.2 oz it's likely because of the extension hose.
By “standard” I meant a regular size lever handle grease gun, not an air or battery powered or mini gun. If the spec is 1.2 then 20 strokes is about right.

But out of curiosity I looked up the owners manual for a 2017 212x. It has pretty much identical specs for greasing the intermediates bearing as my old ls2000. (1.18 after 10 hours followed by .2-3 every 100) However, the 2017 manual also still shows the extension hose for the grease fitting. But @GoVols01 doesn’t have the hose.

I guess my assumption that the extra grease at the initial service is to fill the extension hose is wrong.

Though I’d question Yamaha if the owners manual that came with the boat shows the hose.

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'll be looking into the manual tonight to see if hose extensions are pictured. The engines don't have the brackets for the zurk fittings at the other end of the extension either, so I'm guessing they deleted them altogether. Either way, once you have the correct tools, greasing the bearing housings is easy.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
By “standard” I meant a regular size lever handle grease gun, not an air or battery powered or mini gun. If the spec is 1.2 then 20 strokes is about right.

But out of curiosity I looked up the owners manual for a 2017 212x. It has pretty much identical specs for greasing the intermediates bearing as my old ls2000. (1.18 after 10 hours followed by .2-3 every 100) However, the 2017 manual also still shows the extension hose for the grease fitting. But @GoVols01 doesn’t have the hose.

I guess my assumption that the extra grease at the initial service is to fill the extension hose is wrong.

Though I’d question Yamaha if the owners manual that came with the boat shows the hose.
I'm only referring to handle grease gun. They are not created equal so it's always best before using it that you know what it puts out per stroke. It could take 20 strokes or 100 strokes, the total number is not near as important as how many ounces you get per pump, otherwise there's nothing to calculate or know what to put in. More than likely the reasoning for adding the 1.18 oz (or however many ounces your boat takes) for the 10 hour service is because they factory does not fill it completely when the boat is built. At the 100 hour (IIRC) mark you add very little by comparison.

Yamaha website doesn't even supply a owner's manual for a 2016 192 :rolleyes:. You have to go back to 2013 :confused:. I just looked at the 2017 owner's manual and it shows the hose and bracket by the engine cover for a 190/195 but I'm pretty sure the Service Manual I have (not Owner's Manual) shows only the zerk and nipple coming off the housing. I'll confirm when I get home. With this housing it's always best to error on the side of underfilling than overfilling.

Last edited:

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Sorry if I’m confusing the situation. But regardless how many licks it takes your grease gun to get to the center of a tootsie pop; I find it odd that you’d pump the same amount of grease directly as you would if you were also filling the empty extension hose.

I’m far from an expert on this but I know when I researched this a lot of people said the extension hose came empty from the factory.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Here's the image from the service manual I use. It's for an SX190 but I use it for 99% related stuff for my boat. This matches the nipple and zerk fitting on the housing like my engine has.

service manual.jpg

Here is what my owners manual says. 4 Star rated boats get the hose. The 3 Star rated engines get the zerk fitting and nipple cover. Note the grease capacity does not differ between hose or zerk fitting.

IMG_7720.JPG

Last edited:

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
In the service manual from Yamaha for the 2017 212 LTDS it doesn’t even recommend lubrication of this at 10 hrs.
Page 164 in your Owner's Manual shows it in the Care and Storage section.

Attachments

Augieol65

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Service manual vs owners manual wonder why they don’t match up

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
What sort of grease are you guys putting in there? Would standard marine grease work?
Should be fine with any high quality marine grease. I had to throw a tube away a couple years ago because it was seperating badly due to sitting in the gun so long. I had used it on some axle bearings as well, but if you stay on top of things greasing goes quickly!

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I use this since the Yamaha grease was impossible to find locally. It's multi purpose so I use it in my Bearing Buddy hubs too. It's an Aluminum Complex blue/green grease which I think is the same type as the Yamaha grease.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Once you get the correct zerk fitting for the grease gun, it’s just a matter of contorting yourself into the engine compartment to get the job done. Really a piss poor maintenance item by design.

Last edited:

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Well I wish I would've found this thread BEFORE I tried to do mine last night! LOL!

But, looks like a simple 90 degree attachment is all I'll need and I'll give it another shot next week after I find one.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Whether the zero is attached to an extension hose or directly to the bearing housing depends on the model and year of the boat. For example in the 2010 through 2011 (and possibly 2012) 242s the zerk is attached to an extension hose to allow the zero to be located at the top of the engine. In 2013 the zirk is attached directly to the housing. Not sure when Yamaha reverted back to the extension hose but would guess in 2015 during the first major redesign.

Some members detach the hose and fill it from the top until grease comes out of the bottom before they reattach the hose, this way they don’t put any pressure on the seal it self and bearing is gravity fed grease, I’ve read that others I think here install in line pressure gauges to determine when to stop pumpin grease in.

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hopefully this will do the trick, it is on the way from Amazon!

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The hose is still used today. It all depends on what Star model you have. See my post above as it explains it from the owners manual.

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yeah, mine are definitely right on the pumps. Gonna have to use a 90 degree to get to it just as @GoVols01 did.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

i use this. its dedicated gun and grease for the bearings, you can buy just the hose as well and attach it to any gun