• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Group buy in wake foil?

afdouble

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
This is the most successful thread i have ever started... I'm pretty proud. My last thread on installing an on-board charger with the solar panels crashed and burned...

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is the most successful thread i have ever started... I'm pretty proud. My last thread on installing an on-board charger with the solar panels crashed and burned...
Congratulations! This is just the beginning... I foresee a bright future your future posts. Haha!

Last edited:

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Last edited:

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sure the foil is cool, but seriously.....that water is amazing!

Yea I still want a foil really bad too......Can't buy all the things all the time though :(

*edit*
Still in for the disk though :D

Last edited:

spatty99

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I would highly recommend skipping the disk and putting it towards the foil. Disk is fun for a few minutes, but more of a novelty. The foil has quite the learning curve but is infinitely more fun.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would highly recommend skipping the disk and putting it towards the foil. Disk is fun for a few minutes, but more of a novelty. The foil has quite the learning curve but is infinitely more fun.
If it was just me, then you are 100% correct. I'll get a foil eventually, but that's a thing only I would ride. The disk will serve many purposes, and be used by the whole family.

Here's what we have thoughts of using it for:
Grandma's pool.
Coffee table while floating at anchor.
standup paddle board test.
reason to get the 7yr old to do something besides tube behind the boat.
place for 1yr old to sit while at anchor and NOT in the boat.

I'm sure we'll come up with more.......and there is a very good possibility I'm dead wrong and it's used twice and then sold at a yard sale.

Oh yea, the other reason.....budget committee (wife) approved the disk, but scoffed at the foil.....happy wife, happy life :D

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The foil is next level awesome for those who would ride it... and I've seem some youngsters on them, but if you're the only one to get use out of it then it's an expensive toy for one person... The disk definitely has its market though. I have a one legged pirate friend who bought himself a boat last year. Since losing his leg as a teenager all he's been able to do is tube, so I've suggested this to him.

My wife let me get the foil because she wants to learn to ride or too. She attempted last season but she ended up pulling something in her shoulder and was unable to try the rest of the season. She's anxious to get back in the water and try again though.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The foil is next level awesome for those who would ride it... and I've seem some youngsters on them, but if you're the only one to get use out of it then it's an expensive toy for one person... The disk definitely has its market though. I have a one legged pirate friend who bought himself a boat last year. Since losing his leg as a teenager all he's been able to do is tube, so I've suggested this to him.

My wife let me get the foil because she wants to learn to ride or too. She attempted last season but she ended up pulling something in her shoulder and was unable to try the rest of the season. She's anxious to get back in the water and try again though.
I think my wife would LOVE to surf or foil. The problem is she learned to ski behind our last boat, and thought it was boring. She now lumps all sports where standing on a board in the water as boring. Going to be a tough sell to get her to try something else at this point I'm afraid. I think if I ever get a foil (or she can surf behind someone else's boat), then she'll get the lower impact of those and want to try again. Hard to say though.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think my wife would LOVE to surf or foil. The problem is she learned to ski behind our last boat, and thought it was boring. She now lumps all sports where standing on a board in the water as boring. Going to be a tough sell to get her to try something else at this point I'm afraid. I think if I ever get a foil (or she can surf behind someone else's boat), then she'll get the lower impact of those and want to try again. Hard to say though.
Oh boy, women are fickle creatures... we all know that logic is the absolute opposite of fact. Are we talking she learned to ski on 2 skis or slolom? We all know skiing on 2 skis is lame... :p Definitely get her surfing somehow.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Oh boy, women are fickle creatures... we all know that logic is the absolute opposite of fact. Are we talking she learned to ski on 2 skis or slolom? We all know skiing on 2 skis is lame... :p Definitely get her surfing somehow.
2 skis. The boat wasn't great either, so once she was up that was about the extent of it. I think her comments are something like "Well, now what do I do? This is dumb". She tossed the rope down, and hasn't done anything more than tube in the last 10yrs.

Friends just sold their surf boat, so gonna be hard to get her on a surfboard. I think wakeboarding is too physically intense for her, and my wakeskate is sketchy to come up on at best. I'm hoping the disk is something she can ride that is more fun than tubing, and reintroduces her to standing on a thing in the water at speed :D

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
2 skis. The boat wasn't great either, so once she was up that was about the extent of it. I think her comments are something like "Well, now what do I do? This is dumb". She tossed the rope down, and hasn't done anything more than tube in the last 10yrs.

Friends just sold their surf boat, so gonna be hard to get her on a surfboard. I think wakeboarding is too physically intense for her, and my wakeskate is sketchy to come up on at best. I'm hoping the disk is something she can ride that is more fun than tubing, and reintroduces her to standing on a thing in the water at speed :D
That is one of the saddest and funniest stories I've ever heard. Lol! Hmmm... Fickle creatures.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length

All you need to do to make 2 skis more interesting is push the throttle down. :D:eek:

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@MidnightRider I'm digging your new screen name by the way. It's very alluring... like young David Hasselhoff traded in his talking car for a murdered out motorcycle that he only rides at night with the lights off and other cool suff. Lol!

Last edited:

NORCAL-GAS

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Interested. But I’d like to ask why slingshot brand foils? What about the wakefoil brand?
WakeFoil SS AK Complete Foil Package
I’m actually wanting to buy a foil surf/wake board in the next 90 days, so if it’s going to happen soon I’m in.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Interested. But I’d like to ask why slingshot brand foils? What about the wakefoil brand?
WakeFoil SS AK Complete Foil Package
I’m actually wanting to buy a foil surf/wake board in the next 90 days, so if it’s going to happen soon I’m in.
Good question, I haven't seen if the were any updates to the Liquid Force foil since last year, but the Slingshot Hoverglide is extremely versatile. It has the ability to remove the mast and attach accessory FCSII wakesurf fins, foot straps for catching air, as well as the wide variety of wing options. They're both pretty great options though.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That is one of the saddest and funniest stories I've ever heard. Lol! Hmmm... Fickle creatures.
Yea, she's not overly athletic in nature anyway, so it hasn't restricted her enjoyment of boating.

Back when we first got married it would actually work out well for me. She would bring a friend or two along, and I got decent enough at wake skating that they could sit and chat and I could skate for hours on end. She would drive, and when I crashed, she would circle around, get me the rope, then take off again. Never even had to take it out of gear. Was actually a pretty good deal for me really.

Now that we have the boys, I think she want's to be a little more involved with them on that level.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Update:
I've been waiting to update the status of things until I had become a little more confident in how things were coming together. Things have been going well enough and I'm confident enough that I'd like like to fill you all in and give you the brief back story.

Last season, in my quest to purchase and play on a foil I contacted a long time friend of mine Juli, owner of R7 watersports. I pitched the concept of running a group buy here to members in an effort to 1) help myself get a good deal on a expensive foil 2) help create a profitable situation for her and her business and 3) potentially build a little group interest in the emerging sport I was interested in. As you're most aware the group buy happened and was relatively successful. We didn't quite sell the 10 foils they had for a goal but the total sales of foils and accessories made up for it. I probably annoyed everyone as I tried to generate hype over it... lol! But we got a great deal. Admittedly, given R7's unfamiliarity with the forum I ended up more involved than I'd planned. Besides collecting the money I managing the majority of the process, which was kind of a thrill and a learning experience. In the end I need to thank them for humoring me and me scheme and all those who took part or showed interest.

To make a long story short. R7, as of December 2018, closed its doors to business. I don't know the details as to why, the news of their closing caught me off guard. I can't say enough good things about Juli and her husband and I hope they're on to bigger and better things.

Ever since the time of the group buy a year ago I've had this looming "what if" in the back of my mind... gradually that "what if" has evolved to a "why not". So, without telling my wife, I contacted Slingshot and pitched my business model. I told my wife the next day what I'd done... a few days later after some late night discussions she's now become my web developer and CFO :happy:. We already own a custom cabinet company together which she currently manages those same responsibilities. Slingshot has now enthusiastically agreed to grant us dealer status, we've filed the business with the state, website is near ready to launch, and I'm giddy with anticipation.

I'm waiting until we have everything ready to launch before announcing to the general forum, but I wanted give you all here a update and first glimpse at what is happening.

Transom Watersports "Life's better behind a boat"
Transom.jpg