• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Gunk Film On Engines

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Okay, I'm very close to OCD with my boat and cars. My boat is a 2007 AR210.

Bought my boat from a US Marine stationed out of Pensacola. He took care of it.

Anyway, both engines looked fantastic when I bought it. I follow instructions but only occasionally do I rinse the motor with light water. But I keep the T-9 and Yamalube coated on the engines, so didn't feel rinsing was necessary.

I noticed last year a type of gunky build up On Both engines. Thought it might be from me using too much T-9. So I purchased some Simple Green and Engine Degreaser. My plan was to strip the gunk off and then re coat my engines. However didn't get the results I thought. Made it worse. And turned very gooey and then dried a bit and turned chalky.

I'm thinking now it might be a combination of the water and the T-9. Only thing I can think of. Although I use T-9 on my trailer and Jeep and it doesn't do it with either.

Today I dried and lubed it good and got it looking A LOT better. But not where I want it to be.

Anybody else experience this? If so, how did you fix it.

Here's the engine at the beginning of 2014.
Screenshot_2015-03-15-18-03-46.png

This today, after spraying it with Degreaser and Simple Green. Dried and turned chalky.

20150315_163915.jpg

Looks a TON better after I dried it and coated again with YamaLube.

20150315_164555.jpg

Try a product called Marine Spray Nine. Do not let it dry, and make sure the engines are cool, spray it on, use a pressure washer and hose it off after a few minutes. When they dry, coat them with your standard coating or WD-40. They should shine like new.

Try a product called Marine Spray Nine. Do not let it dry, and make sure the engines are cool, spray it on, use a pressure washer and hose it off after a few minutes. When they dry, coat them with your standard coating or WD-40. They should shine like new.
Hmmm...pressure washer? High pressure water can force it's way into "watertight" connectors and past seals. I don't think I would use anything stronger than a garden hose with a jet spray nozzle....will that work?

Depends on the pressure washer :) I know I couldn't use any of the industrial ones I use at work! I"d tear the coating off the wire from 5 foot away!
User discretion is required here.

Is it possible the previous owner used a coating that leaves a film and it took a while for it to look nasty? I know there are a lot of anti corrosion products out there that leave a nasty mess/coating.

Im talking pressure washer like at a do it yourself car wash. I use them all the time on mine but that is because I am on well water and it has high iron.

The Spray Nine also has many other uses, if you have a stale (aka. stinky) cooler, spray it in, hit it with a brush and rinse, it will be spring fresh. If you are a fisherman (I used to keep it on the boat at all times) and you get stuck with a fish fin, spray your wound and it will keep you from getting fish poisoning. If you have 4-wheelers, spray of the build up mud with water, then spray it with spray nine then a garden hose with a spray nozzle will have it as shiny as new but be warned that the powder coating/ecoating that some mug's use for the axles etc will loose their shine after several uses but things like the racks etc. it doesn't hurt so it has to be that particular coating on items, the bare aluminum engine will brighten up and clean up as well. I think the stuff will also kill athletes foot fungus in the shower etc. It is great stuff!

Last edited:
@ToddW850. I'm sure what you're looking at is the waxy residue left from the T9. You must have used a fair amount of it. I would continue trying Simple Green on a warm engine. Then go to another protectant. Jeff uses white lithium spray and swears by it.

Thanks guys. @Gym I too wonder if I was over using the T-9. Got noticeably worse after I sprayed light water on it.

And here's something Weird. After allowing it to dry yesterday, I sprayed it down with YamaLube. It literally knocked off some of the clumps in the areas I couldn't reach by hand.

So I might stick with YamaLube on the engines. And after the YamaLube, it looked much better.

Yamalube is great stuff but it is very waxy. When I lived in FL thats all I used as well and just lived with the waxy build up but a degreasing the motor looked like new. Now that I live in the mountains and we have nothing but fresh water, all I use is WD-40. It breaks down over time so I uses it often but it is easily removed with dish soap and water.

Back