• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hard drive back up light question

zpaul

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Random question.
I've been using G-RAID drives for the past 10 years.
One of most recent purchases was 12 GB GRAID drive.
Was set up as RAID 1 to mirror back ups.

GRAID has a light - glowing G. I mounted it under the desk and one of the drives failed (out of warranty).
Only after some time I found it out. G was glowing RED under the desk, meaning failure.
So I was thinking if I can drill tiny hole in the deck and point some fiber optic wire that will transfer that light from under the table.
Does anyone knows some cheap fiber optic stuff like that?

Screenshot 2022-11-06 at 1.36.38 PM.png

Other feedback - G-Tech was bought by Western Digital and they successfully trashed that amazing product.
G-Tech software that allowed in one click rebuild of failed drives is no longer working and there is no attempt by company to fix it or issue software update.
Their solution - find 2010 MacBook with MacOS Catalina and our software works on that one.
Drives are failing, people pissed. Amazon and BHPhone reviews are very dishonest, no one shows the issue and refuse to post honest reviews with problems.

Anyway, I made it work by using Disk Utility but that was a pain, backing up everything to separate drive and starting from scratch.

My next back up solution would be Synology
But since we just got a boat I have other priorities in spending and plan to switch later.

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would open it up and wire a new light directly to the same place on the circuit board the “G” connects to.

Sorry to hear WD screwed G owners. I’ve had some really good WD NAS devices that they orphaned too quickly. I’d buy a basic storage device from them, but never again anything that is dependent on software requiring their support.

zpaul

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I would open it up and wire a new light directly to the same place on the circuit board the “G” connects to.

Sorry to hear WD screwed G owners. I’ve had some really good WD NAS devices that they orphaned too quickly. I’d buy a basic storage device from them, but never again anything that is dependent on software requiring their support.
That's a thought.
But feels it is a bit more involved do mess with enclosure.
This guy is actually disconnecting that light

Last edited:

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm a fan of my Synology. I'd just go with that, shuck the good drives out of your working devices and install them in your new NAS.