• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Has anyone added a performance/tuned exhaust?

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
While I know these boats aren't going to sound like a carbureted small block V8, I'm curious if anyone has tried to get a little more power and a lot sexier sound out of our engines with an exhaust upgrade? Their stock sound just isn't sexy and there is something about a well tuned exhaust that makes me mess my pants (the happy kind of mess). If a simple mod exists I am very interested.

I know out of the water without air filters in mine sounds like a BadA$$ R1 !!

I would just love some low idle grumble around the docks! I see Riva makes a kit for skis, but I will have to dig a little bit to see if something can be done for our boats.

Our water boxes are just a big tube that fills with water in separate chambers that quiet down the exhaust tone? Why couldn't we just lessen the chambers or just put a straight pipe in?

Not that I would, I think my boat is fine. My motors and the 1.8 are 2 totally different animals.

The 1.8's have a way different note to them that I would be very pleased to hear all the time. However, I've gotten used to the MR-1's in my boat and I think they sound fine. A few of the people that we've had out with us, that grew up on and around boat, have all thought that our boat was pretty quite. I do have the engine compartment insulated so that may have something to do with it. Mine just purrs around the dock and marina area which I really like. I can barely hear them running. I wouldn't want to mess with any of that, but that's just me.

You could bypass the exhaust and run the exhaust pipes straight up from the manifold through the engine cover. It'd look like the Bat Mobile. :) Funny, most guys are looking to make the boat quieter. :)

Our water boxes are just a big tube that fills with water in separate chambers that quiet down the exhaust tone? Why couldn't we just lessen the chambers or just put a straight pipe in?

Not that I would, I think my boat is fine. My motors and the 1.8 are 2 totally different animals.

I know on skis the water box does a little more then that. It is a fail safe to help prevent water from back flushing into the engine especially if you ever need towed. I would personally not mess with them but done correctly I'm sure it can be done.

I know on skis the water box does a little more then that. It is a fail safe to help prevent water from back flushing into the engine especially if you ever need towed. I would personally not mess with them but done correctly I'm sure it can be done.
Looking at the Riva kit, looks like they put a thru hull exhaust just like our boats and a no chamber water box. Seen it on youtube. But like I said, I spend WAY too much time behind my boat so I am happy.

Looking at the Riva kit, looks like they put a thru hull exhaust just like our boats and a no chamber water box. Seen it on youtube. But like I said, I spend WAY too much time behind my boat so I am happy.

I'm not sure if the Riva kit will work on our boats with out manipulating the pipe but will probably sound better and add a little power if it does. The Riva kit still uses the water box just eliminates the sound buffering items between the box and the water. Below is from RIVA's web site. The new pipe is attached to the exit on the water box and the sent through the hull. I have seen many of these done on another site I go on some homemade and some Riva but all used the water box it is needed on a ski and I'm assuming it is on our boats as well.

RIVA YAMAHA 2011-14 VXR/VXS REAR EXHAUST KIT

PRICING: $349.95
Item #: RY15060
Qty
Our rear exhaust kit for Yamaha 2011-14 VXR/VXS delivers performance and cutting-edge style. Allows for removal of restrictive sound suppression system located between water box and hull exit. Improves engine performance by reducing back pressure and restriction. Includes mandrel bent aluminum exhaust tube that is powder coated to prevent corrosion, large billet through-hull exhaust outlet, billet OEM exhaust outlet block-off and high-temp silicone couplers along with all necessary mounting hardware & installation instructions.

You want it to sound like this............Sorry for the crappy video, but it was all the closer I wanted to get. Also, I didn't feel like waiting for the HD version to upload. Anyhow, it was OBNOXIOUSLY LOUD lol

I think somthing like this at the waterline would be cool , that way it gets quiet and
Loud with the waves !!

The video I posted really does it no justice. That thing was LOUD!!

Ok we are really straying off topic.....but warm weather is SOOOO CLOSE :)

Just drop a V8 in guys!

@Speedling has strait through hull exhaust mods installed in his boat I believe, but I don't believe he is recommending it as a performance upgrade.
If we had cats, that would be a different story. Maybe it is for CARB boats.

--

1. A twin v8 catamaran with twin Hamilton or berkely drives people, I mean, cmon, live it up.
2. Check out the Hinckley picnic boats. They are JET boats with V8's. If I ever get to build boats like I want to, i would build one similar to this as my second build. Hinckley's JetStick 2 is insanely awesome and worth watching one of the linked videos on YouTube.
3. I made a straight through exhaust on my boat. Remember, I have the MR-1. The MR-1 is a modified R-1 engine. The 2005 r-1 engine that I believe is what the HO engines are based off of (2005 first year of the HO motor, previous "HO" mr-1 were based on 2003 variant I believe) is a 12,500 rpm with RAM AIR to make 180hp. The kept the same intake runners and head on the boat version and stroked it out to 1025 or 1050 cc, can't remember off the top of my head, from 998. They also limited it to 10,200 rpm to let it run cooler in the marine setup where you could run full throttle for long periods of time. What this all means is that the intake runners are HUGE for our boats. In all reality, we would have to spin these engines almost 14,000 rpms in order to utilize the intake runner size. Yes, I measured them, no, I don't have that data anymore because my hard drive crashed about a year and a half ago.
In any case... I put on a straight through 3" exhaust and I gained absolutely nothing except for a lot of noise.
I then put back on the stock one and started doing sound deadening.

I don't have a 1.8, or a superchaged one, so I couldn't tell you what they would need/want.
If you want to donate a couple engines and ECU's to me, I will let you know asap.

Back