• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Kicker Sub and Kenwood Amp Combo......am I doing this right?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
OK Ladies and Gentlemen......Have some questions on upgrading the sound delivery devices on my '17 AR190

First off, the existing system.
(1) Stock head unit
(4) Stock speakers ( (2) in bow, and (2) in rear cockpit area)
(1) NICE Wetsounds Stealth 10 (powered) sound bar on tower.
- Current (4) speakers are powered by the head unit.
- Sound bar has built in Class D amp (200 watt I think)

This has worked OK for the past few seasons. We love the distance the soundbar added to the stereo when at anchor. We're still really happy with it. The rest of the boat feels a little "flat", and needs some added depth, and a bit of "fullness". Large bass hits give us a little rattle from the speaker grills, and you can tell the stock speakers aren't working great. I would like to add some depth to the sound, a little bit of volume, while maintaining clarity. I don't need to rattle the shoreline, or flex the fiberglass (I'm look at you @Hoyt ) on the side of the hull.

Here's what I want to do....

Change (4) speakers to Polk DB651's.....I already have these in hand from another forum member!
Add this Kenwood 5 channel amp. It shows as a Class D amp (that's an efficiency rating right?)
-- Amp will power the new Polk Speakers and Sub from a single unit.
-- Here is another Amp I was considering. Memphis Audio Powersports 5channel
Add this Kicker 8in sub with enclosure. Others here have run this speaker with good success. Will be mounted under the passenger bench seat.
Add new wires from amplifier to speakers (ditch the small gage factory wire). This is a cheap and relatively easy switch that has served me well in the past.

I'm wanting to stay under/around $500 if possible. We aren't audiophiles by any stretch. Our home stereo consists of a mid level Soundbar and wireless sub. The factory Bose setup in my GMC with factory sub is perfectly acceptable and we think it actually sounds good (most people online disagree). Hopefully that shows what kind of sound we are looking for. We don't listen to bass heavy music very often, and are really just looking to fill out the sound to make it a more complete setup. I don't have the budget, time, or desire to really go over the top with multiple amps, batteries, and I don't really want to cut any more holes in the boat at this point. We're big on value in this house, trying to get an acceptable level of performance from not a ton of cash spent.

SO......Does this look like an acceptable setup? Are there better components I can select in this price range that will give more performance per $$ spent? Any other thoughts on this setup? I'm probably a week or two out from pulling the trigger, so I can make changes/adjustments if anyone things it's worth while?

All thoughts and comments welcomed.

Last edited:

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think as you describe yourself and audio you'll be happy with that setup. I know there are many people on here that installed that sub, and like it. @Wright2e i belive is one of them. The amps seem to put out the proper amount of needed watts. So your good there. My system runs 50-65 watts rms to cabin speakers, and it's plenty loud. So you'll be happy with that power to cabin. I don't know about the polks, but I've also seen people praise them. So I think your good. Only thing I see is I don't think the Kenwood amp is marine rated (maybe I missed it?). If that's the case go Memphis for sure.

FYI...... I blew my sub last weekend 😢😔😢Too much power obviously, and kids were wide open hip hop for hours. So I'll be getting a new one and turning it down for sure

Wright2e

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I actually did the bazooka sub and the kickers on the tower. The bazooka was nice though. It was the marine version with the built in amp on it. Rattles the boat by sending its sound through that whole channel between the outside and inside of the boat.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
All thoughts and comments welcomed.
I like the setup for the price. The bazooka could be a good option since if you get rattling you can move it. I just installed a sub into the right side of the captains chair on my 210 and it will be there to stay whether it rattles/buzzes or not....

Wright2e

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
The only downside is the space but at the same point if you are using a box versus the low profile subs then loosing space anyhow. Also, if it ever blows, order another unstrap, unplug, replug, strap and good to go.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I think you'll like that setup. I'm considering the same sub, but the 2ohm version, for adding a little more bass to our boat.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
FWIW, class d is more about the topography of the Amp circuits. Class d amps do tend to be more efficient, but have a bit more distortion.

I think your setup looks good overall though.