• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Has anyone removed this sticker?

rockinthesuburbs

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Doing a bit of cleaning over the weekend and noticed this bit of sticker peeling in a few spots. Not sure what’s causing it- maybe the cover rubbing after being hot? Thinking about removing it altogether and wondering if anyone else has done the same? I know it’s where the 2 colors meet- should I expect an eyesore worse than the sticker peeling is in spots? On the flip side- would this be a warranty item I can take to the dealer to fix? Thanks!1597EDE1-7C87-4596-B233-70274B28842A.jpegA5ADBFAC-3AF4-46A2-8493-9294C522424A.jpegDEB69C22-B297-45E1-803F-2CFDE5B830C3.jpeg

Attachments

• D1870665-1F08-4237-9C73-946F887DFE2B.jpeg
    D1870665-1F08-4237-9C73-946F887DFE2B.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 34
Doing a bit of cleaning over the weekend and noticed this bit of sticker peeling in a few spots. Not sure what’s causing it- maybe the cover rubbing after being hot? Thinking about removing it altogether and wondering if anyone else has done the same? I know it’s where the 2 colors meet- should I expect an eyesore worse than the sticker peeling is in spots? On the flip side- would this be a warranty item I can take to the dealer to fix? Thanks!View attachment 187415View attachment 187414View attachment 187412
Same problem - thought about removing as well. Following

I too have a 195s, with the same pinstripe issue. When I made my winter storage appointment, I asked the dealer if they would re-pinstripe the boat under warrantee, and they said yes. We shall see in October when I drop it off.

I have same issue, was Yammies way of bridging the transition from one color to the next using a pinstripe. Mine has been worn through at the bow from the anchor rope and shimming off the bow into the water. Thats great that one of the Dealers will do it under a warranty claim.

I removed that pinstripe on my 2014 SX192. There were a few spots under that the paint didn't match up great, but it looks a lot better without it. I may replace it, but I think I'm just going to leave it off.

Here's how I did it. I waited until the boat sat in the sun most of the day to heat it up, then carefully used these plastic razor blades to start on a spot and then was able to pull big pieces off.

FOSHIO Plastic Razor Blade Scraper

Some spots were too old and stuck on, so i used this eraser thing that attaches to a drill, it worked pretty well also.

TCP Global Heavy Duty Rubber Eraser Wheel

Then i used goof off to get the adhesive off of a few spots.

No idea if that's covered under warranty

Here's a blown up pic, you can't see it as well as a close up, but I'll get a better pic this weekend if anyone is interested (ignore the oxidation, that's on the todo list)

Screenshot_20220905-222942_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
I removed that pinstripe on my 2014 SX192. There were a few spots under that the paint didn't match up great, but it looks a lot better without it. I may replace it, but I think I'm just going to leave it off.

Here's how I did it. I waited until the boat sat in the sun most of the day to heat it up, then carefully used these plastic razor blades to start on a spot and then was able to pull big pieces off.

FOSHIO Plastic Razor Blade Scraper

Some spots were too old and stuck on, so i used this eraser thing that attaches to a drill, it worked pretty well also.

TCP Global Heavy Duty Rubber Eraser Wheel

Then i used goof off to get the adhesive off of a few spots.

No idea if that's covered under warranty

Here's a blown up pic, you can't see it as well as a close up, but I'll get a better pic this weekend if anyone is interested (ignore the oxidation, that's on the todo list)

View attachment 187427
That looks pretty good from what I can tell.

I have a small area on mine…not sure how/why it happened. I would consider going the warranty route. I removed the loose excess, and it’s not totally obvious, unless you know it’s there.
It’s too new for me to try what you did though. I’m keeping this in mind as a future option.

I too have a 195s, with the same pinstripe issue. When I made my winter storage appointment, I asked the dealer if they would re-pinstripe the boat under warrantee, and they said yes. We shall see in October when I drop it off.
Please keep us posted.

There are quite a few threads on folks removing all (or most) of the graphics on much newer boats than mine. I like the graphics as long as they look good and aren't peeling, but some of those boats look pretty clean and sharp.

I would have definitely gone down the warranty path first if my boat wasn't used and 8 years old

There are quite a few threads on folks removing all (or most) of the graphics on much newer boats than mine. I like the graphics as long as they look good and aren't peeling, but some of those boats look pretty clean and sharp.

I would have definitely gone down the warranty path first if my boat wasn't used and 8 years old
I’m happy with my graphics, but I might be interested in pulling off that pinstripe, if it continues to peel. I’ll probably go to Warranty route first.
I do have a five year warranty, so maybe that will include graphics peeling for longer term?

The only thing I'd be concerned with going the warranty route is if it will happen again. I only have 18 hours on the boat and one season down and it's already in this shape so I'd expect even with a warranty repair, it's going to be the same material and the problem would be recurring.

My biggest question that @oakley24 answered was if there would be any spots underneath the striping where the paint doesn't really come together nicely and would be an eyesore in itself. Seems like that is an area of concern, just need to evaluate what looks worse, peeling pinstripe or bad paint merging.

A different question in the same line - if I decide to go DIY like @Rockit69, is there a better adhesive or something I can add after the applying the striping to prevent it from peeling a second time?

Thanks for the discussion on this!

Mine has done the same since day 2 of having the boat, progressivly getting worse. I suspect it is from heat and the mooring cover, as it is quite tight at that point. They should have shot that first in gel coat if they wanted it to look pretty.

If they replace it under warranty, it will surely happen again.

Attachments

• IMG_20220907_181153651_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220907_181153651_HDR.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20220907_181207513_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220907_181207513_HDR.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 32
I'm hoping those of you still under warranty can get it taken care of that way. But, in case anyone is curious, I got a couple close up pics of my 2014 SX192. There are 2 bad spots, otherwise the paint lines match up pretty well on 98% of the boat. I might try to figure out how to fix the imperfections this winter, since I know they're there and it will bug me if I don't. Only had the boat since July, but I'm just amazed at the poor quality of craftsmanship that I keep running across. Still love the boat tho

Most of the boat looks like this

20220910_180232.jpg

2 bad spots
20220910_180146.jpg
20220910_180209.jpg

Doing some digging in the parts catalog and was able to find the P/N for the decal. It's $21.99 on Partzilla:

I'm leaning more towards doing this as a winter project and keeping the roll for additional replacement that I'm sure I'll need in the future. Thought I'd share - Cheers!

Back