• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How can I prevent my mooring buoy from scuffing my hull?

Quad

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
My 242SE is kept offshore on a mooring and I've noticed that during particularly flat/calm days, the boat will bob around gracefully, occasionally bumping into its mooring buoy. I've noticed gray marks on the hull, which seem to line up with where it the buoy and boat meet.

It's a Taylor Made 18" with integrated through-ball rod like this: Amazon.com : Taylor Made Sur Moor Mooring Buoy, 18" Diameter : Fishing Marker Buoys : Sports & Outdoors

I like this one as I can clip the pendant to the top while unmoored, but realize the eye is likely causing most of the scuffing. This weekend I zip-tied a section of rubber tube onto the top of the eye, but I don't think this is a great long-term solution.

I'm wondering if anyone has had better luck with another type of buoy?

Thanks!

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am thinking this is a prime opportunity for the famous Dr. Poolnoodle to save the day!

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I have seen these used on larger boats while docked. They are expensive so I think if it is an option I would go buy a cheap $5 t-shirt, place the buoy in the shirt tie it at the bottom and see if it does the trick...you could buy a pack of 10 t-shirts for the price of one of these.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I might actually suggest a pool noodle solution. Put a length or two of pool noodle over the strop line(s), from the mooring ball to your boat. The lines will float and the pool noodle will keep the line straight(er), more rigid than a bare line and keep the mooring ball away from the hull in those conditions. Sailors do that here on the lake. Easy to find your mooring ball in a field of them and also easy to pick up when they are floating, if you are not using a pick-up stick. My $.02.

Edit: Not sure how you are tying up...with the bow eye or bow cleats, I assume the eye, should be easy and cheap to try.

20200611_091051.jpg

Last edited: