• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

HAWAII !!!

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I see on the member map that we have 14 people on the islands of Hawaii (I'll tag who I can)...
I have an opportunity to move to the Honolulu area for my job and am wondering if I should bring the boat (2016 242 LSE)? I'm wondering if the open water there will be too much for that boat or not. I don't have to pay to move the boat so thats not a factor, but I also don't want to get there and have to sell it to get something else either. Any advice from those who live there or who have boated extensively there would be GREATLY appreciated!!!
@rkim808 @LoonzAR195 @jetboatAg @HawaiiBreeze @blewis38 @Scuba_ref @Markllar

Last edited:

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I brought my boat- and I paid to do so! Glad I did, I've been out 4 times in the last month. Been diving off the boat - that is awesome. Tried some deep sea trolling - a completely different type of fishing and I'm already $580 into gear. And then just some cruising.

@rkim808 was very helpful when I was trying to decide and it really came down to where I was going to end up. The same probably applies to you but maybe on a smaller scale. I'm on the big Island and the distances to trailer the boat are much greater and over or around 2 volcanoes. Luckily we are on the leeward side and the water conditions are more suited to our boat.20200105_112507.jpg

rkim808

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Aloha kakou @Scuba_ref told u gotta bring the Yammy, especially to Kona, Hawaii. Waters there as u know 90% of the time is beautiful. And don’t worry I will be visiting and bringing my gear, and u will be taking this Hawaiian out on a dive trip lol🤣. Happy u and the Ohana r loving it.🤙🏽

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
When we were tied off to the mooring ball my daughter jumped in right over a tiger shark!!!
That doesn’t sound like a deal sweetener too me.

I grew up in the shadow of the Arizona Memorial in and spent many summers spear fishing and body boarding off the beaches of Oahu not once did I ever see a shark in the water with me.

FYI - Spear fishing taught me quickly not to spear any eels.

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Unsolicited advice from NY. It’s an island take your boat there!
And what kind of job do we need where they’re willing to pay and move us to Hawaii please. 19 degrees Fahrenheit here right now.
Its your tax dollars hard at work! Its a Government position. hahaha

rkim808

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When your goal is to see tiger sharks that is a success!
Main thing is to SEE THEM, keep them in line of sight. Tigers grow pretty big out here, I’ve noticed the bigger they r the more stealthy they r. Gotta remember Tigers r ambush hunters, they see u way before u see them. Then I feel they let u see them the times u do. Body English and posture is very important too. They let u know the mood they’re in, always know when it’s time to get out of the water. Me being a Spearfishermen I’ve made it a habit to always perform what I call a “Tiger Rollover” maneuver. I can only speak for the Tigers here in Hawaii, but they love to come up ur Okole🍑(Butt). So I always make it a habit while on the bottom and while ascending to rollover and look behind my Okole. I’ve had occasions when on the bottom and dusting or scratching to bring fish in range, and I turn and look behind me and there’s a 14’ Tiger scraping his belly on the reef coming up my Okole. Not a sight u want to see, looking at a Toyota Truck front end with mouth open. I’m not trying to scare u, just want u to practice to always be aware of ur surroundings. Hawaiian Tigers r so beautiful and majestic creatures, dive safe. Mahalo Ke Akua🙏🏽🤙🏽
CF219615-8166-4565-BA2C-2EA257F25439.jpeg
Here’s a pic of small adolescent 12’er coming up my Okole while coming up from a drop Blue Water hunting. Didn’t even see it till it was way close.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
F that crap I would carry a bang stick.
I don’t even like snakes that are not dead.
We are on top of the food chain because some little Chinese guy invented gun powder.
Small, no fur, no claws no scales, no teeth worth a crap, just soft supple skin and fresh blood.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
The ability to reason and think is our weapon. Along with the opposable thumbs. I’m certain we got the best deal.

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Main thing is to SEE THEM, keep them in line of sight. Tigers grow pretty big out here, I’ve noticed the bigger they r the more stealthy they r. Gotta remember Tigers r ambush hunters, they see u way before u see them. Then I feel they let u see them the times u do. Body English and posture is very important too. They let u know the mood they’re in, always know when it’s time to get out of the water. Me being a Spearfishermen I’ve made it a habit to always perform what I call a “Tiger Rollover” maneuver. I can only speak for the Tigers here in Hawaii, but they love to come up ur Okole🍑(Butt). So I always make it a habit while on the bottom and while ascending to rollover and look behind my Okole. I’ve had occasions when on the bottom and dusting or scratching to bring fish in range, and I turn and look behind me and there’s a 14’ Tiger scraping his belly on the reef coming up my Okole. Not a sight u want to see, looking at a Toyota Truck front end with mouth open. I’m not trying to scare u, just want u to practice to always be aware of ur surroundings. Hawaiian Tigers r so beautiful and majestic creatures, dive safe. Mahalo Ke Akua🙏🏽🤙🏽
View attachment 110402
Here’s a pic of small adolescent 12’er coming up my Okole while coming up from a drop Blue Water hunting. Didn’t even see it till it was way close.
Good stuff @rkim808 , when I'm diving a make it a habit to do a 360 every minute or so to see what is around me. On a dive over the holidays we saw a 14' tiger because of my spin. That big girl didn't care one bit about us...she was swimming perpendicular to our route and just kept going without even flinching in our direction. Me on the other was flinching like it was going out of style!

Last edited:

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Oops there goes your Bimini trip lol

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I brought my boat- and I paid to do so! Glad I did, I've been out 4 times in the last month. Been diving off the boat - that is awesome. Tried some deep sea trolling - a completely different type of fishing and I'm already $580 into gear. And then just some cruising.

@rkim808 was very helpful when I was trying to decide and it really came down to where I was going to end up. The same probably applies to you but maybe on a smaller scale. I'm on the big Island and the distances to trailer the boat are much greater and over or around 2 volcanoes. Luckily we are on the leeward side and the water conditions are more suited to our boat.View attachment 110349
Nice downrigger. How do you lock it to the boat?

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Oops there goes your Bimini trip lol
We shall see, this is still a very big maybe at this point. I'm very doubtful I can make the numbers work when the rent is $4k/month!!! I should know more in the next couple weeks on whether I can more seriously consider making the move. I'm hoping I get the higher paying job here and then moving there or to Florida after the 2 year probationary period before you can transfer. That would be the ideal situation, but I may have to take what I can get...

Steve Risley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
When we were tied off to the mooring ball my daughter jumped in right over a tiger shark!!!
When we visited the Big Island we did quite a bit of scuba diving...We saw a very large 12-14ft. tiger shark near the Honokohau Harbor. It was the highlight of our trip :thumbsup:

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When we visited the Big Island we did quite a bit of scuba diving...We saw a very large 12-14ft. tiger shark near the Honokohau Harbor. It was the highlight of our trip :thumbsup:
That is the place to go for them!