• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Helix 7 Install RE: RAM mount above dash

LionShare

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
G'day all! It's going to be an electronics upgrade and install month. I've been busting my brain with trying to find the optimal spot to mount the Helix 7. After positioning it in every possible position around the helm, I've decided to go with the unit mounted above the tach/speedo area between the windshield and the dashboard.

With this in mind, I removed the speedo/tach board to see what was behind and how rigid the plastic is and it seems like it will be sufficient.

In the picture below, it's the upper dash black trim where I used paint to show where and what I'm attaching the RAM mount to. In order to not stress the plastic, the RAM mount base unit will be bolted (x4) to wood through the plastic and I believe this will be enough.

I searched this forum to see if this was done before, and if I looked with my eyes closed I do thank you for your patience. I also realize that most owners will mount their GPS/chartplotter/fishfinder in front of the throttles but this is where I plan to install my wetsounds LED controller.

In short, I'm looking for feedback regarding the chosen location's structural integrity for my application and if someone has done it before and if it stood up to the test of time. Everything in mind mind says hell yeah!

Let me know your thoughts and know that it'll be appreciated - CHEERS!!!

2016-yamaha-212x-helm.jpg

LionShare

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Right on Bruce! Thank you my good man

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@LionShare, one tip, I used an adhesive Ram mount on the plotter. The adhesive has failed twice during summer heat. That may be partially due to the curved surface it is mounted on. My last repair was to glue (super glue) the mount to the plotter which may be a more permanent mount.

Blue Hawaiian

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@LionShare, do you have your Helix 7 installed? recently i purchased helix 7 for my coming soon AR195, no idea if able to fit into the helm, or how it looks, can you show me the picture of it when you have a chance, i know most of us still in the early spring weather, thank lots!

LionShare

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Blue - I didn't get around to installing it last year with me focusing on the sound system and knowing that I'd be staying on the same body of water.

It's the first thing I'm installing this spring when I manage to get my baby out of storage due to the shitty long winter here in Canada.

I actually forgot about this thread -- I'll be sure to post pics for you/everyone once complete.

Cheers <EN>

Blue Hawaiian

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@LionShare i will keep you update as well once i got my baby home to install, the weather just sucks outside now here.

LionShare

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hey - I see you're in TO - I'm in Ottawa and waiting for the crap to blow in...

BTW: GO SENS GO!!!

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@LionShare, do you have your Helix 7 installed? recently i purchased helix 7 for my coming soon AR195, no idea if able to fit into the helm, or how it looks, can you show me the picture of it when you have a chance, i know most of us still in the early spring weather, thank lots!
Did you ever get the Helix 7 on your 195. I have the same boat and looking to purchase one.

Blue Hawaiian

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did you ever get the Helix 7 on your 195. I have the same boat and looking to purchase one.
yes, i did, went all the way to Bimini last summer, love it !