• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

HELP - Battery Questions

Five Faces

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
2017 Yamaha 242x w/stock stereo system...

Went to the lake yesterday, two dead batteries. In a rush to get My family on the water I had the marina install two new batteries without consulting jetboater.net first.

They replaced the two original batteries with one cranking and one deep cycle (both interstate wet cell). I’m not sure this is the best set-up or even okay to run this way.

A couple questions:

1) Is it okay to run one cranking and one deep cycle? I always thought they should be the same? I have the solar charger, is each panel wired to each battery separately?

2) I’m currently wet slipped (waiting on lift delivery/install) so I have significant interest in being sure the bilge has power for at least a week at a time. What is the best set-up for this, two dual purpose? Two AGM’s? Is my current set-up of one each okay.

3) Since I’m doubtful I can return the two different Interstate wet cell batteries they installed, is this set-up okay for the remainder of this season and hold off to make any changes until spring?

Im clearly not a battery guy, so any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Last edited:
That’s what I have in my boat. And I wet slip as well.

Did the marina test the old batteries for you? They should have. Maybe they could have done a quick charge to get you going rather than sell you two new batteries? It would have been cheaper to do this and get a booster pack

I think you need to figure out the underlying reason why the batteries were dead. You may have just applied an expensive bandaid.

Can you trust the marina to help you? Maybe talk to the owner?

Batteries likely dead because I left the batt switches on while it was sitting on the trailer for almost three weeks. That means the bilge would check for water every few minutes, at least that explains why the house was dead, not sure why starting was dead, but perhaps I don’t understand how they are wired. The parallel switch was off.

Quite honestly, it was getting late in the day and my family was getting anxious so I just wanted to get out on the water. I kept the old batteries just in case they are still good. The batteries were original to the boat, so I don’t mind purchasing new batteries, but just want the best set-up for my circumstances.

I have slip at the marina that installed the new batteries so if I have good reason to have a different set-up, I’m hoping I can talk them into taking back or exchanging their day old batteries In favor of a better set-up if needed.

Any other suggestions?

A starting and deep cycle are fine together as long as they are the same battery type, which they are. The only better setup would be to do AGM batteries instead. But i would still do one starting and one deep cycle.

Do you have power at your slip? If I were you, I’d take the batteries back and buy a dual battery charger like ProMariner or Noco. Then you leave the batteries on the charger when you’re not using the boat.

I have the ProMariner Prosport 12. Lots of posts on this forum about the chargers. If you can’t find them, let me know and I’ll find a link.

check the prices on amazon first to make sure the marina is not taking advantage of you.

FYI, my boat is a 2017 as well and the batteries are still fine. I store them on a trickle charger in the winter.

I took a volt meter to the original batteries and one was about 6V and one was about 5V. Obviously they are dead but can they be salvaged or are they toast? My 2017 batts were used for 3.5 seasons, about 160 hours.

There are people on this forum much more knowledgeable on this topic than I am.

That being said, I’ve been able to recharge batteries that were that low before. I would try and do that before replacing them. Do you have a good quality automatic charger?

With the proper charger those might still be OK.

Do you have a good quality automatic charger?

I took your advise and bought the Promariner Prosport 12 Gen 3 on Amazon, same day delivery. I figure I will try it on the original batteries on the bench in my garage overnight and see what happens. Regardless if it brings the original batteries back to life I will install it permanently in the boat at some point.

2017 Yamaha 242x w/stock stereo system...

Went to the lake yesterday, two dead batteries. In a rush to get My family on the water I had the marina install two new batteries without consulting jetboater.net first.

They replaced the two original batteries with one cranking and one deep cycle (both interstate wet cell). I’m not sure this is the best set-up or even okay to run this way.

A couple questions:

1) Is it okay to run one cranking and one deep cycle? I always thought they should be the same? I have the solar charger, is each panel wired to each battery separately?

2) I’m currently wet slipped (waiting on lift delivery/install) so I have significant interest in being sure the bilge has power for at least a week at a time. What is the best set-up for this, two dual purpose? Two AGM’s? Is my current set-up of one each okay.

3) Since I’m doubtful I can return the two different Interstate wet cell batteries they installed, is this set-up okay for the remainder of this season and hold off to make any changes until spring?

Im clearly not a battery guy, so any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Yep exactly the setup I have from the dealership, and it works great for my needs

I took your advise and bought the Promariner Prosport 12 Gen 3 on Amazon, same day delivery. I figure I will try it on the original batteries on the bench in my garage overnight and see what happens. Regardless if it brings the original batteries back to life I will install it permanently in the boat at some point.

Makes sense, that’s what I’m doing.

Read the manual, it explains the various stages of charging/maintenance. Just make sure it gets to the maintenance stage before disconnecting.

You going to try and return the new batteries if the old ones charge up?

I'd keep the new batteries. I continually see people proactively replacing them after about 3 years.

You going to try and return the new batteries if the old ones charge up?

Yes, probably. I would like to get some AGM’s eventually. I’ve been reading a lot of people using two 27 or 31 deep cycle batteries on the Yamaha since it doesn’t require much amp draw to start these engines. Interesting concept that I like as foreign as it seems to do so.

I also need to check the solar panels and the solar panel fuse, need to confirm it is working too. My boat was on the trailer in direct sunlight, I would think the solar system would be able to maintain the batteries???

Wow, thanks, I’ll look into that.

A starting and deep cycle are fine together as long as they are the same battery type, which they are. The only better setup would be to do AGM batteries instead. But i would still do one starting and one deep cycle.
@FMwatersports ....yes you can mix starting and "deep" cycle but with AGMs or TPPLs they are ALL dual use so you would pick your group size (24, 27 or 31) then select AGM or TPPL and get two of them - no longer any need to have two different.

Okay battery experts...

Before hooking up ProSport 12: 1st Batt 5V, 2nd Batt 6V.

Hook up ProSport 12 and it runs through initiation and I get all good signal, then it immediately goes to Maintain (green light)??? During this maintain the voltage is 13V on both.

Something seemed amiss, why wouldnt it go to charge first, then condition, then maintain. Instead it went immediately to green maintain???

After maintaining for only 5 min, I thought I would check the voltage so I unplugged the ProSport 12 and after only 5 Min both batt’s were at 7V.

What’s going on?!! Isn’t 5V low enough to Goni to the Charge stage. What don’t I understand?

Last edited:
Curious. I’m guessing it goes into maintain mode until the charge reaches a certain level? What does the manual say? I don’t have mine with me.

I’d leave it on overnight and see what the voltage reads.

I read the manual and it imply’s:

Stage 1: System Check
Stage 2: Charging
Stage 3: Conditioning
Stage 4: Maintain
Stage 5: Storage Recondition

I went from Stage 1 straight to Stage 4???

it appears Stage 4 alternates between 13 and 14.6V, so it’s charging, just not sure why it’s not in Stage 2 Charge mode which is constantly charging at 14.6.

I bet you’re right though, it will probably go into Stage 2 Charge mode once the voltage hits 12V.

Let’s hope. Either that or the charger is defective. The fact that it’s increasing the voltage is a good sign. Fingers crossed...

Back