• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Help! I put deposit down on Sea Doo

Jay Rodriguez

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I just put a deposit down on my 1st boat and just now noticed that Sea Doo is out of the boat business!!! am I making a mistake with buying this boat? Challenger 230

piney1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I just put a deposit down on my 1st boat and just now noticed that Sea Doo is out of the boat business!!! am I making a mistake with buying this boat? Challenger 230
My neighbor has the 21 Sea Doo with the twin motors, a 2011 model. He likes it a lot and uses it a good bit. He has had it since new. One thing that he said was not great with the 21 was the size of the fuel tank, something around 30 gallons.

He just had both impellers replaced this spring. He beaches it too much and I think he sucked too much sand into it too many times. That was not a cheap repair.

From what I understand, Sea Doo is now making just the motors and you have Chapparell and Scarab using their motors. It is not that Sea Doo is out of the boat business but they are now just supplying the running gear for them to others.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Not necessarily. New boats make similar boats with same motors. Used I assume, so just make sure price is right and you're happy with the boat!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
They still make them, just call them Scarab now. Beautiful boats.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I've always liked the 230s. If it's supercharged or turbo charged make sure that it has metal not porcelain washers.

Scott E

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I purchased a 2012 210 challenger this year. I wouldn't be concerned with buying it. Sea-Doo motor and jet pump parts are available, the only issue would be interior parts etc. If the motors are supercharged, you'll want to know when they were last rebuilt, and I would recommend having them done if the previous owner is not sure.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My buddy bought a brand new 2010 230 back in 2010 and it has been in the shop awaiting parts and repairs more than it has been in the water. I know this is a tiny sample size, but I would never buy a Sea Doo and he sold his 3 years later and now has a 240 and says it is night and day difference, as far as reliability.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If it was really more in the shop than in use, he had a dealer problem, not a boat problem. The Rotax engine has been around longer than any yamaha engine, and aside from ceramic washers in the early supercharged versions, is far more reliable. Stainless washers are far cheaper than updated timing chains or a replacement ecm, I promise you.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Actually, it was some kind of electronics issue that kept re-surfacing. The engines were fine; the electronics kept causing him issues. He had no issues with the engines and indicated he researched this prior to purchase and the bugs have the past had been worked out. Perhaps the stealership sucked which is why it was in more than out, but with a new boat it should not have been in. @Jay Rodriguez I suggest heading over to the Sea Doo forum and find out more about your potential purchase. Buying this time of year? You are in the driver's seat. The market will soon slow down, if it hasn't already and there will be plenty of deals to be had!

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
They still make them, just call them Scarab now. Beautiful boats.
Sorry, that is incorrect information. As others have stated, BRP is in a supplier agreement with Scarab and the others for engines/electronics. I do even believe they may have purchased a hull mold (not sure on that) But SeaDoo is not in the boat business at all anymore. The closest they get is SeaDoo PWC and Evinrude motors.

That being said, what others have said above, the relationship you make with a previous SeaDoo boat dealer, or Seadoo Watercraft dealer will be gold. And it will be the difference between getting help and doing some web searching. These new engines are not something the average driveway mechanic is going to tear down anymore. Although the SeaDoo forums are a wealth of information just like this forum has been for Yamaha owners.

Keep in mind, this is coming from the total red-headed stepchild seadoo owner. I have a Mercury Powered SeaDoo boat. So not only do the SeaDoo dealers not want to touch it, but the merc dealers don't want to touch it either. But it runs great and is one of the best performing 20' Jet boats I have seen. I just happen to be lucky to have a dealer close by that has serviced all things BRP and is not afraid of the Merc SportJet under the hood. That is a safety blanket as I don't let them touch it other than to winterize the pump in the fall as it is a serious pain on my boat. Otherwise, it has been rock solid and a service manual has allowed me to do everything else.

In your case, parts are everywhere, so that is not an issue either. The same motors are still being used today in the PWC. So it's not like you are totally stranded if the worst case were to happen.

If you have a supporting dealer close by, go for it. If you are uncomfortable, then move on and look for another option. I worry about the day my Merc takes a dump, but we will enjoy it until then.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I still miss my seadoo x20 and am almost positive that it would out accelerate the 230ho I had and the 242ls I have even with a single 240hp Mercury sport jet engine, low speed response was better as well.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If it was really more in the shop than in use, he had a dealer problem, not a boat problem. The Rotax engine has been around longer than any yamaha engine, and aside from ceramic washers in the early supercharged versions, is far more reliable. Stainless washers are far cheaper than updated timing chains or a replacement ecm, I promise you.
Really? More reliable? In the last year, you have heard of a few timing chain events and nothing before that. The timing chain situation scared me too, but I know the probability is pretty low. However, we have heard and known about Rotax supercharger issues forever. When I bought my first Yami in 2007, there were 5 SeaDoos sitting in my dealer's shop with engine issues. I asked if this was unusual and was told no. They went on to state that SeaDoo kept their service center open. Yamaha has a track record of great engines. The MR1's were bullet proof and that is not arguable. The jury is still out on the how far the timing chain issue goes, but the numbers are just too low to call them unreliable in comparison to the Rotax.

stever40

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
If you are really concerned about this, ask the dealer for your deposit back. I know, in my location all dealers state it is non-refundable however our laws ensure that is not the case.

Also, I have two seadoo ski's and the one thing that continues to be a pain is the supercharger maintenance. Like my skis, I believe the boats, have the same washer failure issue. If the washer fails (breaks apart) you will need a new motor. Maintenance on the supercharger is also spendy. I was at $800 for the two. You should find out if your Challenger has had the superchargers rebuilt and the washer replaced.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You should find out if your Challenger has had the superchargers rebuilt and the washer replaced.
Or even if it is supercharged at all. Didn't those 230's come with your choice of two supercharged or two naturally aspirated motors? Everyone loves big HP, but in the SeaDoo world, it comes with high maintenance costs, potential for catastrophic failure and high fuel costs. Hp costs money. If it is not supercharged, you should still have a plenty powerful boat, but eliminate some of the worry. I would have a tough time buying a SC boat like that used not knowing it's service history.

Good luck though.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Really? More reliable? In the last year, you have heard of a few timing chain events and nothing before that. The timing chain situation scared me too, but I know the probability is pretty low. However, we have heard and known about Rotax supercharger issues forever. When I bought my first Yami in 2007, there were 5 SeaDoos sitting in my dealer's shop with engine issues. I asked if this was unusual and was told no. They went on to state that SeaDoo kept their service center open. Yamaha has a track record of great engines. The MR1's were bullet proof and that is not arguable. The jury is still out on the how far the timing chain issue goes, but the numbers are just too low to call them unreliable in comparison to the Rotax.
If I'm going offshore, and have a choice, I'd take the Rotax every day. Assuming I had an early supercharged Rotax, I would've replaced the supercharger washers right away and never had to worry about it again. If I have mr1's, do I buy a pair of ridiculously priced ecm's? If I have 1.8's, do I replace/upgrade all the timing chains? I don't like to take any chances, regardless how small. A failure offshore can be fatal, and that's not an option for me if I'm taking friends/family to Bimini or elsewhere. Obviously there is always some risk, but I mitigate all I can.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If I'm going offshore, and have a choice, I'd take the Rotax every day. Assuming I had an early supercharged Rotax, I would've replaced the supercharger washers right away and never had to worry about it again. If I have mr1's, do I buy a pair of ridiculously priced ecm's? If I have 1.8's, do I replace/upgrade all the timing chains? I don't like to take any chances, regardless how small. A failure offshore can be fatal, and that's not an option for me if I'm taking friends/family to Bimini or elsewhere. Obviously there is always some risk, but I mitigate all I can.
Hey love your enthusiasm about Rotax and this reminds me why we decided this forum would be about all jet boats (not just Yamahas). While I differ, I hope you will make it to Shelbyville so we can battle it out on the floating mat to settle this once and for all. LOL!

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hey! All I own is 2 yamahas now, and my next boat will be powered by the same. (outboards). But I'll (no homo) get on the floating mat with you anytime!

jpass

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
We purchased our 2012 Challenger 210 SE last year with 115 hours on her. 1 year later (165 hours) she's been nothing but reliable. We opted for the normally aspirated motors as we didn't want to deal with the SC's and figured 310 HP was plenty. She tops out at 50 mph.

I really wouldn't be overly concerned about buying the boat, so long as she's been well maintained thus far and you have her checked out with the CanDoo software prior to taking her off the lot. The Candoo software will give you a ton of info about how hard (or not) a life she's had up to this point.

The only real issues with the SC'd motors is the maintenance. They should be rebuilt every 100-200 hours at about $500 a pop if you remove and send off for rebuild yourself (more if you take it to the shop for the work). The ceramic washers were only an issue on the 2004 - 2008 motors. The motors usually ran a year behind the year of the boat (i.e.: 2008 boat has a 2007 motor in them). The older models also suffered valve train issues in regards to the models with the sodium filled valves. These are more brittle than the non-sodium filled valves and can break under the stresses of the SC'd motors. I believe these were in the 2004 - 2006 models.

Good luck with your purchase and post some pics if you pull the trigger.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry, that is incorrect information.
The first generation Scarab jet boats are essentially re-branded SeaDoos. Not sure what is incorrect about that information, notwithstanding the BRP official withdrawal from boat manufacturing.

I still miss my seadoo x20 and am almost positive that it would out accelerate the 230ho I had and the 242ls I have even with a single 240hp Mercury sport jet engine, low speed response was better as well.
Just about any small jet boat will out accelerate a 230/240 yamaha, or try a LS2000, LOL. But so what? what is the point of such a comparison? (I have NO idea)

For anyone seriously considering those different brands, or any jet boat these days, there are two important factors to consider, IMO:
1. availability of competent BRP dealer/mechanic/support service
2. do you want a flat-bottom jet boat (that handles like a jet boat with all it pros and cons) or do you want a jet-propelled boat (as in new yamaha with keel -- no slide-turns, handle chop like a regular bay boat)

--

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@swatski , what is your problem? I was simply stated that I miss my Seadoo for the reasons I listed and in response to @biffdotorg's prior comment, which by the way is more accurate than your statement that Seadoo still makes boats under the scarab name. If that were true the statement that Seadoo still makes boats under the scarab, chaparral, and Glaston name would also be true but it's not.

By the way the x20 is not a small jet boat, 20' long with a tower it was the largest and heaviest in the Seadoo fline up at the time, other than the islandia, definitley bigger and heavier than LS2000. I do agree with you on one part of your statement though, you have No idea.