• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Help! I put deposit down on Sea Doo

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski , what is your problem? I was simply stated that I miss my Seadoo for the reasons I listed and in response to @biffdotorg's prior comment, which by the way is more accurate than your statement that Seadoo still makes boats under the scarab name. If that were true the statement that Seadoo still makes boats under the scarab, chaparral, and Glaston name would also be true but it's not.

By the way the x20 is not a small jet boat, 20' long with a tower it was the largest and heaviest in the Seadoo fline up at the time, other than the islandia, definitley bigger and heavier than LS2000. I do agree with you on one part of your statement though, you have No idea.
Not Chaparral or Glastron. Scarab.
Kindly don't put words in my statements please.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It is my understanding (and I could be wrong) all 3 bought the power plants, but scarab also bought the hull. I also see alot of similarities between my 210se and some of the scarabs (in pics). Haven't got to really check one out in person though

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If I'm going offshore, and have a choice, I'd take the Rotax every day.
If it does not melt on the way to the fuel dock before leaving the harbor ;)

Sorry, I had to ......

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
For anyone seriously considering those different brands, or any jet boat these days, there are two important factors to consider, IMO:
1. availability of competent BRP dealer/mechanic/support service
2. do you want a flat-bottom jet boat (that handles like a jet boat with all it pros and cons) or do you want a jet-propelled boat (as in new yamaha with keel -- no slide-turns, handle chop like a regular bay boat)

--
#1 Agree 100%, that's why I said it as well. The dealer is what will help a new owner when they are unsure where else to get help or have no idea themselves.
#2 you have no idea what you are talking about for sure. The old Yamahas and early SeaDoo's were pretty flat bottomed, you are right. But the 2002 on up boats like ours are far from flat bottomed. And hardly small.

I have often looked at what I would replace my boat with if I had to. And the closest comparison falls between the AR190 and AR210. As I have more Hp than the 190 and it is a larger boat than the 190, but not quite as big as the 210. I have a fully functional tower, and the handling is far superior than many. So it is a fair comparison.

The SeaDoo he is looking at compares very well with the AR230 in it's day. It is hardly a flat bottomed jet bay boat. You might want to look at these models before making that comment as it really did shine a light on your exposure to other brands. Especially when you thought that a Scarab was a rebranded SeaDoo. You do realize Scarab has a fairly long boat building history right? The only leg you may have to stand on, was the rumor that they had bought the hull molds from BRP and of course have an engine supplier agreement with BRP/Rotax. As stated above, I believe that to be true as they are nearly identical. But that does not make them rebranded, as SeaDoo is not manufacturing them.

It's not worth fighting over behind a keyboard as I will enjoy my 20ft 240hp EFI Bay Boat for years to come.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
#2 you have no idea what you are talking about for sure. The old Yamahas and early SeaDoo's were pretty flat bottomed, you are right. But the 2002 on up boats like ours are far from flat bottomed. And hardly small.
I agree. Definitely NOT small.

As far as "flat bottomed", it was my off-handed reference to pre- and post-2015 boats with/out "articulating" keel. It is a night and day difference in handling.

--

Last edited:

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Gotcha, it's all good. I hate threads like this as I don't want my tone to come across as anything other than light. I just wanted to share some experience with the OP.

Cheers.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Gotcha, it's all good. I hate threads like this as I don't want my tone to come across as anything other than light. I just wanted to share some experience with the OP.

Cheers.
I hear you! And I shouldn't be allowed to use the forum when I'm at work anyway, LOL.
Edited mine. Thank you!