• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Help me decide If a jet boat will work for me

Alan Pruett

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I live on the crystal coast of N.C. I think I want an AR 190 or 195. I will using it in the Bogue sound, and local rivers. Bogue is quite shallow. There is no seaweed but there is some plant life and mucky bottom and some areas of sand. Can I expect a jet boat to function here? I want to do pleasure boating, tubing and some wake boarding. I am new to this area and have no jet experience. Any info you can provide us helpful. Thanks , Akan

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
as long as you don't have lilly pads or floating stuff you should probably be ok,

check out this video

Shiver

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am also in the same situation. I have been looking but not set on what I want to get. Where are you located?

Rickey498

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We run on a really shallow river, and while have seen other types of boats on our river, jet boats were are best option for running all year round. I don’t think you can go wrong with a jet boat.

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Alan Pruett the video that @Scottintexas provided gives you an idea what is going on with the jets when they are in shallow/sandy water. I boat the NC ICW and inlets around Wilmington. My 24 footer floats in 18” and the manufacturer recommends 3’ minimum running depths. In depths under 4’, I never go above no-wake speeds to minimize sand ingestion. I’ve had two 24’ Yamaha jetboats (2008 and current 2013) used exclusively in our coastal NC waters and would buy a 3rd newer model, if my wife would let me. Rinse the engine per the manufacturers instructions and include saltaway as you flush ... these are great, low maintenance salt life boats.

ThatJeepGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Alan Pruett the video that @Scottintexas . I boat the NC ICW and inlets around Wilmington. My 24 footer floats in 18” and the manufacturer recommends 3’ minimum running depths. In depths under 4’, I never go above no-wake speeds to minimize sand ingestion.
While this is Yamaha's recommendations I routinely scream through water 12" or less. Every weekend.... something about a 24' bow rider going by airboats in minimal water and getting the crazy look that makes me smile....

Alan Pruett

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Anyone know the factory depth recommendations for a Yamaha 19 ft (195)? What happen when you suck up sand or muck?

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
3', but I certainly operate in less occassionally at no wake speeds. Sand or much goes straight through. Rocks, not so much.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you do vacuum some mud up most of it goes directly out the jet nozzle, some of it is diverted for cooling water purposes,

I usually boat in TX lakes that in shallow water is red mud, there are times when my pee holes are squirting red water out of them, yes all that red water is going through my engine and exhaust cooling systems but it's silty/micro material (there is a screen that keeps anything more than silt out), when I do notice this I make sure to run my boat in clean water until the pee holes are clear, you certainly wouldn't want to run in mud and then turn the engines off for the day, just as you wouldn't let a salt water boat sit without flushing it (because of the salt sediment it will build up), we have many muddy Mississippi (I spelled that correctly without the use of spell checker, thank you) that experience this same thing,

Alan Pruett

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thx Scott. So when I’m back on the lift st home my flushing should take care of any silt residue in the cooling system too?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thx Scott. So when I’m back on the lift st home my flushing should take care of any silt residue in the cooling system too?
Yes. Just make sure you can climb in your boat to turn on the engine and then the water. Don't run water to flush without having the engines on.

Last edited:

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
yes, is your lift in that shallow of water? I would think if you're out fishing/playing and get into some muddy water that the run back to the lift in open water is going clean it out, I would still tell you to flush it if you're in brackish water for the salt aspect but I wouldn't be worried about the silt/sediment issue,

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
watch this video by our very esteemed member bucketybuck from our FAQ tab, it's a different engine than you will have but the same process,

Rickey498

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have been told by some that you can run as little as 18” of water, but when you take off you want to be in 3’.

KyleP

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Shallow water alarm goes off on my 195 at 3’ but I have been in much shallower with out a problem

Rickey498

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I don’t think we have that kind of warning on the Sx190

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know for a fact an AR230 will run on plane in 6" of water for over 1/2 mile and will only get stuck if you come off plane, thanks TX DJ where ever you are,

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I know for a fact an AR230 will run on plane in 6" of water for over 1/2 mile and will only get stuck if you come off plane, thanks TX DJ where ever you are,
We can definetly go on plane where lower units cant. One of my marina neighbors with a SeaRay and myself were going under a bridge in about 10' of water approaching a 100yd stretch of 12" water. I punched it in the deep water and planed over the shallows, where he had to raise his lower unit and walk it thru. I arrived back at the marina 20 mins before him. When he finally got back, he came over and asked "how did you do that?" I replied "its a Yamaha jet boat". His only reply was "nice".