• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Help on water! Starboard engine shut down

Just1more

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Starboard engine shutdown. Will crank but not start. Port engine starts fine. Any ideas?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Throttle positioning sensor, wiggle the throttle while trying to start it. or kill switch pull out on the kill switch while trying to start it.
If you were using it for wake surfing and it did that you will have to get the one engine running forward and try starting it with the boat level to reduce the back pressure on the exhaust system. just a couple of common things to check

Just1more

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Ar240 2015. Was just running down river. No water sports. Tried to wiggle throttle and pulled kill switch. Still nothing on starboard engine. Just cranks

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Well you will probably need to limp back on one engine stay under 5 mph and position the reverse bucket up like in forward so it allows the water to flow through the pump easier and creates a lot less back pressure so you don't get water in the engine. Every few minutes just crank the engine so it builds up exhaust pressure from the pistons to push out any water that may get into the muffler while you are on your way back.

Just1more

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thank you. I did all that and made it back to the marina in a surprise thunderstorm… lol… Two hours from Yamaha dealer….hopefully nothing major

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
let us know what they find wrong

David Martin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Have you check the kill switches under the back access hatch(clean out plug ports) Those little devils' have to position in one switch half the switch takes out the ignition the other half take out the starter..............so half can go bad....nice headache for sure

Good Luck

Just1more

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yep. First thing I checked .

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The back switches won't allow the starter to engage for safety reasons

Just1more

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Is it possible that the swim platform kill switch went bad? Just curious if I can swap cut offs switches to check. Is that simple enough. I couldn’t see where they connect to.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
If the back switched are bad the engine will not turn over because they don't want someone to crank the engine if you have your hand in the pump. so the fact that your engine turned over rules out those switches go to the 3 main things needed for an engine to run fuel ,spark and compression.

Just1more

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
It cranks but will not turn over. I’m not down by my boat now but I was pretty sure if I open the swim deck hatch the engines will crank but not start. Am iI wrong?

Just1more

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
If the back switched are bad the engine will not turn over because they don't want someone to crank the engine if you have your hand in the pump. so the fact that your engine turned over rules out those switches go to the 3 main things needed for an engine to run fuel ,spark and compression.
Could it be a spark plug though? It shutdown while we were running. Sorry I’m asking so many questions . I have not had any engine problems in either of my Yamaha’s.

David Martin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sorry I need to start reading the post closer..............let me get this straight you were running on plane down the river and the motor quit running?

If that's the case start with a diagnoses of Fuel or spark.............. on starboard engine pull on coil pack and it spark plug. Remove all for electrical connectors on all 4 fuel injectors no need for fuel at this point and sure don't need fuel coming out the removed spark plug hole. Lay plug on top of engine with coil pack plugged in you need to supply a ground to the plug(I never recommend holding anything in hand) the spark jump can give you a wallop for sure. I use and alligator clip on plug side and wire to a ground. Turn her over and see if you have spark !!!!!! if you do move to fuel.

Fuel is a little harder because Yamaha does not put a test port(Schrader valve) on the fuel rail for a pressure gauges attachment. First check all the wiring on the fuel pump and clean the connectors and use a volt meter to make sure you are getting 12v at the connector at the pump. Ground wire at the pump seems to be a lot of pumps no starts. If you have 12v at the pump connector you also can lay your fingers on the pump and have someone turn the key to the on position..........the pump should prime its self(run) for about 3 seconds you should feel the pump.

Check these first on a cranking but no start AND I SHOULD HAVE SAID THIS FIRST CHECK ALL THE FUSES BEFORE ANYTHING. Sorry!!!!

Just1more

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yes. We were cruising at 30MPH and the starboard engine quit. Will turn just not start…. Will check plugs in the morning…. Praying that’s it.

Nivekot

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Could it be a timing chain failure??

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Could it be a timing chain failure??
Based on the fact that it was running when it shut off I bet you are correct, TIMING CHAIN! the way you will know is that the engine will turn over very fast and it may even backfire it will sound like a blender when you turn the key to start it.

Just1more

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
It’s trying to start as normal. Just turning around 190-230 rpms. No back fires.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
ok back to the 3 things ,check fuel, spark and compression