• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Help Please- Drone Shopping

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Mavic pro2 is not cheap but works great and I hand launch and catch all the time. But flight restrictions suck now on it
I have been thinking about getting the MP for some time. How do you find out about these flight restrictions?

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
U go to launch and it comes up on the screen, most are real I was in Memphis and did not know I was within 3 miles of the airport. Stuff like that the screen turned red when Gps locked on and I could not go any higher so I brought it back. It pretty much keeps you out of trouble with the FAA.
But if I just flew around my hotel at like 50 feet and it did not have that system nobody would’ve known. They’re all going to have some kind of system like that pretty soon they’re just working out the kinks out of it now. If you’re not gonna use it much I think the spark is probably a great move or you can just use it when it’s nice. Mine will go I think about 45 miles an hour and you can use it when it’s pretty windy but that’s probably a grand more expensive and not worth it. The Hasselblad camera takes awesome pictures.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
U go to launch and it comes up on the screen, most are real I was in Memphis and did not know I was within 3 miles of the airport. Stuff like that the screen turned red when Gps locked on and I could not go any higher so I brought it back. It pretty much keeps you out of trouble with the FAA.
But if I just flew around my hotel at like 50 feet and it did not have that system nobody would’ve known. They’re all going to have some kind of system like that pretty soon they’re just working out the kinks out of it now. If you’re not gonna use it much I think the spark is probably a great move or you can just use it when it’s nice. Mine will go I think about 45 miles an hour and you can use it when it’s pretty windy but that’s probably a grand more expensive and not worth it. The Hasselblad camera takes awesome pictures.
What's the range and fly time of the Spark? Can it follow you and circle you while you're moving. Would love to use it while my son surf behind the boat.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have been thinking about getting the MP for some time. How do you find out about these flight restrictions?
Dji’s fight application forces information sharing with dji’s servers. When the version you are on is out dated you will get notices stating so, eventually you can be forced to upgrade the app or your drone won’t be allowed to spin up and take off. The no fly zones and restricted flying zones are updated via this software. You may be able to visit the dji website to see here they are in your area. If not there are several ways / apps which allow you to do so online. I haven’t checked where the restricted zones are in my area in years , the software will either keep you from taking off or entering such a zone, when appropriate, per Dji.

FYI I just got back from a boating weekend, although I charged up my dji Mavic and matching VR googles, they never saw the light of day during the trip and having been used in over a year now. It’s hard to be the host, boat driver and drone pilot/videographer. The same is true of my two GoPro cameras, hitting record is easy, editing video can be very time consuming. I may be putting the Mavic, googles and all accessories (including 3 batteries, and old iPhone, carrying cases, etc.) up for sale soon (I’m keeping the go pros). Pm me if you (or anyone) are interested.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Dji’s fight application forces information sharing with dji’s servers. When the version you are on is out dated you will get notices stating so, eventually you can be forced to upgrade the app or your drone won’t be allowed to spin up and take off. The no fly zones and restricted flying zones are updated via this software. You may be able to visit the dji website to see here they are in your area. If not there are several ways / apps which allow you to do so online. I haven’t checked where the restricted zones are in my area in years , the software will either keep you from taking off or entering such a zone, when appropriate, per Dji.

FYI I just got back from a boating weekend, although I charged up my dji Mavic and matching VR googles, they never saw the light of day during the trip and having been used in over a year now. It’s hard to be the host, boat driver and drone pilot/videographer. The same is true of my two GoPro cameras, hitting record is easy, editing video can be very time consuming. I may be putting the Mavic, googles and all accessories (including 3 batteries, and old iPhone, carrying cases, etc.) up for sale soon (I’m keeping the go pros). Pm me if you (or anyone) are interested.
so true about editing. I've stopped manually editing and I'm letting the gopro app do it all.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I actually forgot about that part of the conversation. I do hand catch my Mavic on the boat but I used to hand catch my Phantoms so I was sort of used to it. The one thing about the Mavic is that it can’t be very tricky to catch because it tries to fly away thinking your hand is an object. My nephew has a Mavic and he makes me catch it when we’re on the boat because he’s too nervous to try.

Based on this thread and if you are a beginner, you should probably start with the Spark. It is a great drone, especially if it flies fine in a bit of wind.
Put the Mavic in Sport Mode when you're getting ready to hand catch, disables the avoidance sensors and makes it much easier.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anyone here build drones from scratch/kits to avoid some of this no-fly shenaniganery?

Not that I want to go flying in restricted space, but I don't want to deal with updating apps/software all the time just to fly it.

The senior project a year or two after I left college was to build a "cheap and reliable" worker drone. Students had a $400 budget, and a list of requirements for the drone to complete. Lift X lbs of cargo, take it on a pre-programmed GPS route, then drop it off again. They could earn extra "points" by having sustained hover above ground, follow me, longer flight times, and extra lift capacity. Was interesting to see some of the creations the teams came up with.

Curious if anyone here actually builds and flys their own, has thought of it, or has a good reason to shy away from it. Also, anyone use a drone for something other than taking pictures?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The basic spark while it was on production, minus the remote, was $249. That's hard to beat by a hobbyist. If it's savings you are after that is not the route. But if it's tech enjoyment and skirting the FAA, then it may have more appeal.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Put the Mavic in Sport Mode when you're getting ready to hand catch, disables the avoidance sensors and makes it much easier.
I thought that only disabled the front sensors? I think tried disabling the sensors before and that did not disable the ground sensors, but it was awhile ago.

Rustynuts

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Dji’s fight application forces information sharing with dji’s servers. When the version you are on is out dated you will get notices stating so, eventually you can be forced to upgrade the app or your drone won’t be allowed to spin up and take off. The no fly zones and restricted flying zones are updated via this software. You may be able to visit the dji website to see here they are in your area. If not there are several ways / apps which allow you to do so online. I haven’t checked where the restricted zones are in my area in years , the software will either keep you from taking off or entering such a zone, when appropriate, per Dji..
If you find an older Mavic Pro used you can easily "modify" it with some software and go in and edit all you parameters. You can snip the cord to DJI and remove restrictions but still fly safe. Modified Sport mode can hit 42 mph, braking can be faster and climb and decent speeds increased.........so I have read online ;)

Need A Vacation

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
Liveto99,

If you’re in a restricted area, can you still fly up to say 30 or 40’?

From a couple apps I now have on my phone, we are in a restricted area due to the nearby airport, which I figured we would be.

I just hope I can still fly a drone at the house at low altitude to learn it and get experience. Not interested in flying a crazy amount at the house.

TY to all!!!

Mystic1906

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Need A Vacation

Kinda late to the party but let me throw in my 2 cents. The Spark and Air are two great drones. The only issue is that they operate off of wifi signal so range is limited with them. Make sure you consider that when buying. I have a few drones that I use for my business (commercial drone pilot) and my go to drone is DJI's Mavic 2 Pro but that is an investment. The price on the original Mavic has dropped significantly due to the popularity of the M2P, however, if you don't want to spend a bunch, aren't going to use it every weekend, and you don't plan on flying it far away from you get the Air (you should keep it in your line of sight for safety sake). That would be my recommendation.

@Ronnie - DJI stopped producing the Phantom 4 Pro a while back. They are supposed to restart limited production next month and I'm waiting impatiently (need a backup to do construction and 3D mapping projects).

As far as the flight restrictions there is a company (nolimitdronez) that will allow you to fly without DJI's geo-fencing. If you are a hobbyist you can purchase a license and it will not void your warranty (their claim not mine). I haven't used it as I don't EVER want to jeopardize my Part 107 license. Recently the FAA introduced new rules that hobbyists have to follow in regards to operating drones near airports but it will be a matter of requesting permission using a system called LAANC (Low Altitude Authorization and Notification Capability). It isn't fully active yet as far as I know but I use different applications to request my permissions and I have a authorizations that are only available to Part 107 pilots. It's confusing but check out this link for a little better understanding - UAS Data Exchange (LAANC)

If I can be of any help message me. I am by no means an expert in the field but I am a drone nerd (I do as much flying for fun as I do for work, maybe more LOL) and I do tons of research. I also have a few contacts that I use to bounce questions off of that I can't find an answer to.

jjmparsons

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I echo the sentiment of going with a Mavic Pro here. With the new Mavic II Zoom out now people are dumping the Mavic Pro like crazy to grab the "new" and improved features of the Zoom. I've flown a lot and quite a few different models. Mavic Pro is by far the best one I have in my possession at this time. I would also recommend you take a look at flight restrictions and zones prior to purchasing as well. @Liveto99 brings up an excellent point with restrictions on flying. Its not as simple as just pulling pitch anymore and zooming around for the most part. Take some time and consider where you'll be flying and what you intend to do.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
@Need A Vacation

Kinda late to the party but let me throw in my 2 cents. The Spark and Air are two great drones. The only issue is that they operate off of wifi signal so range is limited with them. Make sure you consider that when buying. I have a few drones that I use for my business (commercial drone pilot) and my go to drone is DJI's Mavic 2 Pro but that is an investment. The price on the original Mavic has dropped significantly due to the popularity of the M2P, however, if you don't want to spend a bunch, aren't going to use it every weekend, and you don't plan on flying it far away from you get the Air (you should keep it in your line of sight for safety sake). That would be my recommendation.

@Ronnie - DJI stopped producing the Phantom 4 Pro a while back. They are supposed to restart limited production next month and I'm waiting impatiently (need a backup to do construction and 3D mapping projects).

As far as the flight restrictions there is a company (nolimitdronez) that will allow you to fly without DJI's geo-fencing. If you are a hobbyist you can purchase a license and it will not void your warranty (their claim not mine). I haven't used it as I don't EVER want to jeopardize my Part 107 license. Recently the FAA introduced new rules that hobbyists have to follow in regards to operating drones near airports but it will be a matter of requesting permission using a system called LAANC (Low Altitude Authorization and Notification Capability). It isn't fully active yet as far as I know but I use different applications to request my permissions and I have a authorizations that are only available to Part 107 pilots. It's confusing but check out this link for a little better understanding - UAS Data Exchange (LAANC)

If I can be of any help message me. I am by no means an expert in the field but I am a drone nerd (I do as much flying for fun as I do for work, maybe more LOL) and I do tons of research. I also have a few contacts that I use to bounce questions off of that I can't find an answer to.
What's the flight time, range and speed of the Air?

Mystic1906

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Dean P - they claim 20 to 21 minutes flight time but it's more like 19 if all you are doing is flying and taking a few photos. If you doing video it will drain the battery faster though not crazy faster. They claim the range is 2.4 miles but again that will depend on where you are flying. If you are in a condensed area it will be less than a mile. I would say 1000-1500ft is about the outward limit before it starts lagging on your screen. The speed is about 15mph if there is no serious wind resistance.

The good thing about the Air, besides being compact, is the video and photo capability in good light. Low light conditions are not great for the camera's but HDR compensates for some of that. The intelligent flight modes are really fun to use. I recommend trying HELIX if you get a chance.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
The only issue is that they operate off of wifi signal so range is limited with them. Make sure you consider that when buying.
Hmmmm I think that is only if you use your phone to control them - if I remember correctly you can use a phone to control them or use the controller with your phone only operating as a screen. I believe the controller does not use WiFi and has much greater range in that case. At least that is my recollection when looking into them.

Mystic1906

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hmmmm I think that is only if you use your phone to control them - if I remember correctly you can use a phone to control them or use the controller with your phone only operating as a screen. I believe the controller does not use WiFi and has much greater range in that case. At least that is my recollection when looking into them.
True but then you lose line of sight and the map that the app provides. Kinda hard to fly when you can't see where you are going. I tried flying without my phone/tablet but I didn't go very far because I wouldn't trust it if I couldn't see it. FAA says visibility has to be at least 3SM BUT I don't know anyone who can see that far.