• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Help! Port Engine won't start.

ZippyBoater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you still have the YDS and fuel line connected, I would run any and all the tests you can. That will give you a database on the engine and help you get familiar with YDS.
Thanks.

ZippyBoater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I don't have my YDS manual available at the moment,
as I understood,
unhook you fuel line at the engine and put it in some sort of clean/clear container,
the YDS should have a setting to turn on the fuel pump to fill the container,
I might do this now when things are working properly just so you have a baseline to work off of when the engine doesn't start next time.

if there is water/debris in the tank it could shift with movement so if you're on the lift/trailer pumping clean fuel you may still have an issue floating around,

I really believe you should also pull the floor and the sender to look in the tank,

I have the YDS Manual now, but not the shop manual. Do you know where I can get a shop manual?

I think you are right. There must be some kind of debris preventing the port fuel pump from getting fuel to the engine. It just bothers me that ther is no problem with the starboard I will probably pull the floor in the coming weeks now that I got my son off to college and can take my time working on the boat and nottrying to have fun on the lake with him.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If there is debris my concern is you may not be able to tell without pumping a lot of gas and that eliminates the heat as a factor. I totally support pulling the floor to check out the tank and potentially the pickup/probe to see inside. One thought is the wires to the tank are tiny with very small pins. If your connection there got corroded, you might get a resistance increase at higher temps that causes an intermittent open.
B70BFBAF-8A8D-4289-A6AC-6433950F6017.jpeg

ZippyBoater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If there is debris my concern is you may not be able to tell without pumping a lot of gas and that eliminates the heat as a factor. I totally support pulling the floor to check out the tank and potentially the pickup/probe to see inside. One thought is the wires to the tank are tiny with very small pins. If your connection there got corroded, you might get a resistance increase at higher temps that causes an intermittent open.
View attachment 130820
Thanks. I think that is my next step to pull the deck and check for debris in the tank by pulling the port fuel pump. My biggest question is if there is debris in the tank, why isn't it effecting the starbord engine pump?