• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Help! Port Engine won't start.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wouldn't be set on vapor lock yet,

I would get a YDS, recreate the problem and then pull the fuel line and have the YDS pump fuel,

also, not specifically stated, you tried starting it with the engine hatch open? we have had a couple of exhaust leaks that starved the engine for air.

also, your problem of issues idling ok and higher rpm problems still make me wonder if there isn't debris in the tank that when you get lower on fuel is getting sucked up to the filter/screen. a previous post said you put in 5 gallons and it ran great,
have you tried to associate fuel tank level and the engine problem ?

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do you run ethanol gas in your boat? Vapor lock is rare; but if you had a bunch of e10 and got some phase separation, the ethanol could definitely vaporize more easily with a heat-soaked engine. It probably would not do it starting cold.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I've had a couple hard starts and attributed it to heat and vapor lock as the engines were shut down right after getting off plane. I have since started to "cool down" the engines after cruising for a couple of minutes and haven't had a hard start since.

ZippyBoater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do you run ethanol gas in your boat? Vapor lock is rare; but if you had a bunch of e10 and got some phase separation, the ethanol could definitely vaporize more easily with a heat-soaked engine. It probably would not do it starting cold.
I've had a couple hard starts and attributed it to heat and vapor lock as the engines were shut down right after getting off plane. I have since started to "cool down" the engines after cruising for a couple of minutes and haven't had a hard start since.
I wouldn't be set on vapor lock yet,

I would get a YDS, recreate the problem and then pull the fuel line and have the YDS pump fuel,

also, not specifically stated, you tried starting it with the engine hatch open? we have had a couple of exhaust leaks that starved the engine for air.

also, your problem of issues idling ok and higher rpm problems still make me wonder if there isn't debris in the tank that when you get lower on fuel is getting sucked up to the filter/screen. a previous post said you put in 5 gallons and it ran great,
have you tried to associate fuel tank level and the engine problem ?

Yes, I am using fuel with ethanol (E-10) in it. there is only one marina with non-ethanol gas in the area and it just isn't worth the 10 mile trip to get that gas.

It happened again this Friday after the boat was sitting in the sun all day, I took it out for a late afternoon cruise. Everything started fine, but as I was trying to come on plane, the port engine died. I had an extra bottle of water in the boat, so I poured a few ounces across the fuel rail and waited about a minute. It then fired up and I didn't have a problem the rest of the weekend. The weekend did cool off thanks to the impending hurricane.

What do you guys think?

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Yes, I am using fuel with ethanol (E-10) in it. there is only one marina with non-ethanol gas in the area and it just isn't worth the 10 mile trip to get that gas.

It happened again this Friday after the boat was sitting in the sun all day, I took it out for a late afternoon cruise. Everything started fine, but as I was trying to come on plane, the port engine died. I had an extra bottle of water in the boat, so I poured a few ounces across the fuel rail and waited about a minute. It then fired up and I didn't have a problem the rest of the weekend. The weekend did cool off thanks to the impending hurricane.

What do you guys think?
Ok as mentioned that may not be the same as vapor lock where the engine has trouble starting because the fuel has vaporized in the fuel system. Once the engine is running, the fuel system is pressurized by the pump and the fuel remains in a stable liquid form even if it's hot. If the engine stalls when your revs climb, that's probably dirty fuel, or fuel pressure, or ignition issue. If the pressure is low, that might explain why you have vapor lock so often and why it stalls.

We've had really hot and humid weather the last month, hitting 95 in the shade and over 100 in the sun, water temp at 82, and we use 87 octane 10% ethanol from the local gas station. The boat is in the sun all day and starting issues for me only happened when I came off plane, stopped, and shut the engines off when they were really hot. If I cool them by letting them idle for a minute first, no issues restarting. Tubing, skiing, wakeboarding are all activities that may require you to cut the engines when they're hot so you don't suck up a rope. If you can idle back for a minute first before the pickup, that might help with the restarts. But this sounds like it could be another issue.

YamahaziPilot

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Might want to check the carbs.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just don't think vapor lock otherwise we'd see it in more boats, I'm at 100 most days in the summer in N. Texas, always running hard tubing or surfing, beachbummer is in Houston at 95+ and 90%+ humidity and it's not an issue.

Swatski did notice on his boat some heat soak/hard restarts while surfing when the exhaust was ballasted down under water and he found running for a minute to cool down made the problem go away,

Your issue of the boat sitting parked in the sun all day and started fine, then died coming on plane just doesn't say vapor lock to me.

did you engine bay smell like exhaust when you poured the water on the rail ?? Did you have your blowers on ?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If it happens again. maybe rock the boat for a minute and try again. I agree it could be fuel debris in the tank not helping the fuel pump. Have you considered swamping the fuel lines? you may need a barb and an extra length of hose, but would tell you if the problem stays with the engine or fuel pump. If you reverse the lines you need to set both engines to "on" and then start each one, since power to the pump is linked to the "wrong" engine when you swap the hoses. (I did this ones troubleshooting another problem)

ZippyBoater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just got my YDS cables and Software. Next trip to the lake I plan on checking the flow on the fuel pumps and rechecking the gap on the spark plugs.

There is no exhaust smell from the engine compartment and running the blowers doesn't seem to help.

I am trying not to have to pull the deck during boating season, but it looks like I might have to.

Rockfords Fosgate

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Here you go. I lifted the image from the SX/AR 210 maintenance manual.
tips.png

Rockfords Fosgate

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Thanks. I didn't think these had a fuel filter. I thought it was just a screen in the fuel pump.
The manual here does not have specificity to model year, so I am not sure. However, the AR in the cover picture is clearly not the most recent model, as the tower is different.

ZippyBoater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The manual here does not have specificity to model year, so I am not sure. However, the AR in the cover picture is clearly not the most recent model, as the tower is different.
I have a 2009 SX210 with the MR-1 engines. I have the owner's manual and it has the same troubleshooting guide. Can't find a fuel filter.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It's only the mesh at the bottom of the fuel filter as far as I know. No "conventional" fuel filter anywhere.

danielcasey01

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It is easy to compare height safety switches under the cleanout cover. If the port is lower, place a folded paper towel or something on top of it to see if that helps close the circuit. Then try starting it.
I had the same problem and taped a nickle on the height safety switches and it fixed my problem. Just bought the boat last week and the new name is "Two Nickles"!! Good luck!!

ZippyBoater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just don't think vapor lock otherwise we'd see it in more boats, I'm at 100 most days in the summer in N. Texas, always running hard tubing or surfing, beachbummer is in Houston at 95+ and 90%+ humidity and it's not an issue.

Swatski did notice on his boat some heat soak/hard restarts while surfing when the exhaust was ballasted down under water and he found running for a minute to cool down made the problem go away,

Your issue of the boat sitting parked in the sun all day and started fine, then died coming on plane just doesn't say vapor lock to me.

did you engine bay smell like exhaust when you poured the water on the rail ?? Did you have your blowers on ?

Scott, I got my YDS up and running now. What tests do I need to run to see if I am having a fuel pump problem or whatever you think could be wrong with my port engine.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't have my YDS manual available at the moment,
as I understood,
unhook you fuel line at the engine and put it in some sort of clean/clear container,
the YDS should have a setting to turn on the fuel pump to fill the container,
I might do this now when things are working properly just so you have a baseline to work off of when the engine doesn't start next time.

if there is water/debris in the tank it could shift with movement so if you're on the lift/trailer pumping clean fuel you may still have an issue floating around,

I really believe you should also pull the floor and the sender to look in the tank,

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Scott, I got my YDS up and running now. What tests do I need to run to see if I am having a fuel pump problem or whatever you think could be wrong with my port engine.
If you still have the YDS and fuel line connected, I would run any and all the tests you can. That will give you a database on the engine and help you get familiar with YDS.