• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

HELP Requested - Seized Engine on AR240

JAUGA82

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Also forgot to mention the oil was EXTREMELY dirty...only had about 30 hrs on it. Even after adding a couple qts of fresh oil (that I drained the next day) it was completely black. Starboard engine oil looks almost new. Doesn't that usually indicate some sort of exhaust leak?

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Also forgot to mention the oil was EXTREMELY dirty...only had about 30 hrs on it. Even after adding a couple qts of fresh oil (that I drained the next day) it was completely black. Starboard engine oil looks almost new. Doesn't that usually indicate some sort of exhaust leak?
Since you can't replace all the oil on these engines, it will always sorta look dirty. When was the last oil change?

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Thanks for the info, I'll definitely join the FB group. I'm dropping the boat off today, but they don't have me "scheduled" until Tuesday. I'll ask how long they expect it will take and if it seems unreasonable I'll start looking around. Do you know of any independent mechanics around Birmingham?
FB group request approved! I am sorry I don't know of any independent mechanics... :(

JAUGA82

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Since you can't replace all the oil on these engines, it will always sorta look dirty. When was the last oil change?
Last year, but trust me, this wasn't normal. It was like crude oil, and the Starboard engine oil looked great.

JAUGA82

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Well, dropped it off today and we'll see what happens. He did say it sounded like a piston was shot. Also, interestingly, he also said something about "de-carbing" the engine as a maintenance routine. Apparently the carbon build up can cause low compression and even complete failure. I hadn't heard of that before, but he said he's seen it on hundreds of yamahas. Compression would be low, sometimes zero, and de-carbing would bring it back to normal. Sounds like I could have possibly avoided this whole thing and fixed the original problem if I'd had that done a couple weeks ago. Thanks again for everyone's input.

Last edited:

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
The first suspect for loss of oil is the crimp around the oil filter they rust and then leak, I don't know how long the filter was on the engine but it has happened to many people I change my oil and filter quite often but I still cover the filters with aluminum tape to prevent this issue.
Wasn't this a recall?

JAUGA82

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Well, if anyone is curious, the #2 rod was seized. Total repair costs is $5,600, which includes a rebuilt engine (2 yr warranty) from SBT. It's my lucky month...just had to drop $6k on a new upstairs AC unit a couple weeks ago.

ar240owner

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can they tell what causes it ?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

JAUGA82

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Can they tell what causes it ?
Well, I asked, and they said it's usually caused when water gets in the engine. But I'm sure it could also be caused by a lack of oil, which I think was the case in my situation.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's awful @JAUGA82 sorry to hear that. Your mechanic probably has the engine Pulled out and torn down already. But if he doesn't, it's pretty easy to pull a motor on these boats and swap it out yourself. You could probably save a few thousand doing it yourself.