• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

HELP Requested - Seized Engine on AR240

JAUGA82

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
This is a rather long story, but I'll try to just give a brief summary. I bought my 2010 AR240 with 70 hrs last summer. I always noticed the port engine would only do about 7k rpms and my top speed was only about 47mph. I replaced plugs, air filter, adjusted throttle cables, and changed oil...no improvement.

The boat has always pulled left and I assumed it was because the port engine was putting out less power, so I was determined to figure out the problem. About a month ago I checked the compression, cylinders #1,#2, and #4 were 115-120, and cylinder #3 was 90 psi, and it didn't improve when I added a little oil.

Last weekend I hauled the boat to Allatoona (I actually live in Bham but grew up in Powder Springs). It ran great all day, and I actually saw 7150 rpms on the port engine. As we were heading back to the ramp, just as it came into sight, the low oil alarm sounded for the port engine. I IMMEDIATELY cut the engines. The oil level was barely reading on the bottom of the dipstick, so I added about 2 qts. Engine still wouldn't start, so I limped the rest of the way.

I still can't figure out where the oil leak is coming from. There's not any oil in the bilge, but it is burning it fast because the levels were fine last time I checked it a few weeks ago. It's not the cooler and the hoses look fine. I do think there's some all around the bottom of the engine block, but I can't tell where it could be coming from.

Here's the fun part...after changing the oil and charging the batteries a couple days ago, the engine started but sounded HORRIBLE - like a d@mn paint shaker machine. So I checked the compression again...this time, cylinder #2 is now reading ZERO psi and all the others are at about 90 psi.

I'm dropping it off at Wedowee Marine on Friday. I'm thinking the engine is probably shot...does anyone have any ideas as to exactly what it might be, or if it could be something more simple (and cheaper) than a seized engine?

And finally, does anyone have a mechanic in the Birmingham or Atlanta area who is experienced with Yammers and would be willing to rebuild the engine, if that is needed. I have a feeling that Wedowee is going to say my only option is to replace it with a new engine. Any help/advice is much appreciated!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
sorry to hear about your problems, never buy a used boat that pulls without knowing what's going on, something just isn't right,

We did have a member near Pensacola that took his engine to be rebuilt at a PWC shop that had a very good reputation and did everything the same day if I remember correctly. You can try to search for it or if you'd be serious about hauling it down there I could try to search,

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Threw a rod or pin. No more oil cuz it shot into cylinder head and burnt.
If that is the case then running it may have smashed valves and ruined heads.
I am giving worst case here.
May need a reman engine.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Sorry to hear about your troubles @Josh Austin. I'm pretty sure it was @ToddW850 who had his engine pulled apart by a mechanic down by the gulf. It's a bit of a tow, but it may be worth it to find a solid mechanic. You may want to reach out to see who he used.

Another one of our members @blacksapphirez has had his boat at Wedowee for a couple weeks just to get some warranty items fixed. I would hate to hear how long it would take them to repair an engine. :(

ar240owner

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Man sorry to here that !!!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry to hear about your troubles! That totally sucks.
If I were in your shoes I would probably try to pull that engine out. Whether you fix it locally on need it shipped, it would save you a ton of money. Dont think we have a post in here on pulling a 1.8l, but there are some with MR-1, totally different but there are many similarities in the approach. @itsdgm and @buckbuck and @ToddW850.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
could just be some blown rings. Piston is slapping around and the oil is blowing by and getting burnt. That would be best case,,, maybe. Re-hone the cylinder and new piston and rings. Just make sure you have a trustworthy mechanic as they can tell you anything unless you're there when they tear it apart. Engine isn't seized or it wouldn't move at all.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yeah, it's definitely not seized, but the noise could be deadly. If you run out of options, but can get the engine pulled, I have the tools and knowledge to rebuild (if rebuildable), and I'm not *that* far away. I'd be willing to rebuild it, but check all your other options first. If you just need some technical guidance, shoot me a pm.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The first suspect for loss of oil is the crimp around the oil filter they rust and then leak, I don't know how long the filter was on the engine but it has happened to many people I change my oil and filter quite often but I still cover the filters with aluminum tape to prevent this issue.

Attachments

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Oversized pistons?
Port and polish heads?

JAUGA82

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks for all the responses gentlemen. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

ar240owner

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What kind of oil filter ? My dealer was telling me that some non yamaha filters restrict the oil flow and has caused some motors to have issues , just wondering ?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
You purchased this used and we all know about the number 3 cylinder spark plug issue so I can throw this out that perhaps the previous owner broke a plug and did not want to pull the head to fix the issue, so when they managed to remove the remainder of the plug , some of the porcelain was left in the chamber and this worked into the rings causing low compression, that would account for the low compression on that cylinder however I can pretty well guess your engine was run low on oil and this damaged the rod and crank bearings causing the noise and if you can remove the engine before it throws a rod through the side of the block you can use that engine for a core to purchase a rebuilt one, however once it hatches the core will be either seriously damaged or totaled .

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Sorry to hear about your troubles @Josh Austin. I'm pretty sure it was @ToddW850 who had his engine pulled apart by a mechanic down by the gulf. It's a bit of a tow, but it may be worth it to find a solid mechanic. You may want to reach out to see who he used.

Another one of our members @blacksapphirez has had his boat at Wedowee for a couple weeks just to get some warranty items fixed. I would hate to hear how long it would take them to repair an engine. :(
Yes, that was me. It's the owner of Liquid Fix here in Destin. If you are considering coming down here, I can get you his contact info or check and see what his schedule is like.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
When I had my first 2010 1800 sc ic I noticed I was not having any luck removing the number 3 plug so I put wd 40 in the plug recess and worked the plug out by going back and forth like you would do when taping a thread once it binds up you go the other way and work it out, I managed to remove the plug and from that day forward with any of my 1800 engines I never seize the plugs before the thing ever hits the water I also use dielectric grease on the plug boots, white lithium grease on the entire engine and the hose clamps etc. I have not had an issue since adopting that process for a new engine. With my first one I did follow the dealers instructions to rinse the engine with the hose after each use however I started having problems with the electrical systems so I stopped rinsing the engine and the surrounding areas that was when I started to used the white lithium grease trick instead, no more problems with the electrical system and I have done this ever since. But that's just me .

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
sorry to hear about your trouble...Wedowee...while the quality of work is half decent, they do take forever to get to it.

Since it is out of warranty and you are footing the bill, they may be quicker but IF you can help it, I would find an independent mechanic that will do the job. Dealers are always expensive.

BTW, join our Facebook group Alabama Jet Boaters :)

JAUGA82

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
What kind of oil filter ? My dealer was telling me that some non yamaha filters restrict the oil flow and has caused some motors to have issues , just wondering ?
It was a Yamaha filter, but I replaced it with the Sierra equivalent when I changed the oil.

JAUGA82

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
sorry to hear about your trouble...Wedowee...while the quality of work is half decent, they do take forever to get to it.

Since it is out of warranty and you are footing the bill, they may be quicker but IF you can help it, I would find an independent mechanic that will do the job. Dealers are always expensive.

BTW, join our Facebook group Alabama Jet Boaters :)
Thanks for the info, I'll definitely join the FB group. I'm dropping the boat off today, but they don't have me "scheduled" until Tuesday. I'll ask how long they expect it will take and if it seems unreasonable I'll start looking around. Do you know of any independent mechanics around Birmingham?