• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Help - starboard won't start

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
second day out on new boat. Port side starts but starboard cranks but does not start. I checked neutral, kill switches and lanyard.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Most likely it is the lanyard switch which allows the boat to crank but disables spark.

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
check the kill switch in the wet storage locker.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Lanyard - shouldn't both engines not turn if this was the case? One engine starts fine.

I didn't know there was a kill switch in there - I will look now but just in case where is it exactly?

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
There is a set of contacts for each engine in the lanyard switch, so one can start and run fine while the other will not. Exercise if a few times and see if it starts.

I believe the lanyard is the only kill switch that allows the starter to turn. The neutral and clean out latch won't even let the boat try to do anything.

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
What's one not starting doing? Cranking, nothing, clicking?

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
It is cranking but not turning over. It sound good while cranking but just doesn't turn over.

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Lanyard - shouldn't both engines not turn if this was the case? One engine starts fine.

I didn't know there was a kill switch in there - I will look now but just in case where is it exactly?
There is 1 kill switch for each engine that allow the engines to turn on when the wet hatch is closed. you should see 2 black push button switches in there.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
There is 1 kill switch for each engine that allow the engines to turn on when the wet hatch is closed. you should see 2 black push button switches in there.
Do you mean by the clean out ports? We tested those by manually pushing both down.

Also - I received a check engine light and an error code the first time, but they are not coming on any more. It was like a YDMS Code 1 and ODMS - something. I just went to play with lanyard several times and saw a error quickly pop on the screen but disappear.... Can't get it to do it again.

It literally acts like the lanyard is not connected.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I agree it prob the lanyard.. if the hatch door is open it will not even turn over so I can't be those switches.. the lanyard switch had to be pulled up all the way so the contacts on both engines will align.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@adrianp89, @bronze_10 is correct. If the plastic clip on thè lanyard or the switch is slightly warn the contacts for each engine will not make inhibiting the ignition to one engine. I had to manually hold the lanyard switch all the way up on a friends boat to find this issue. You may want to try that. If that works you can wrap the clip with electrial tape as a temporary fix. I see you have a 2017. Is it still under warranty?

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Yes, I will try that tomorrow. And yes I have lifetime warranty on it.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In theory the cleanout hatch switches could be the cause as well. Each switch has two circuits one cuts off the ignition, the other disengages the starter. So if somehow one of the two circuits broke, the starter could spin while the ignition wouldn't fire. Very small chance of it being the cause. However you can simply reach inside the removable tray (depending on year and model), and unplug the switches and swap the plugs. If the problem jumps to the other engine, it's the switch, if not, keep looking.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Actually, the same can be done with the lanyard switch. Gain access to it, swap plugs and see if the problem jumps to the other engine. That would indicate a bad lanyard switch.

Same with ignition switches

Good luck, keep us posted.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
What is best way to remove lanyard switch? Looks like I can take a 18mm socket or so to it.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It needs to be worked on from behind. Depends on the boat as to how to access it. Some can be reached through a cup holder, others by way of front storage areas and I have read about someone loosening and lifting the throttle controls to gain access.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Even though it's more than likely the lanyard switch, I'd start by swapping plugs on the easiest to access.

1. Ignition switches
2. Cleanout switches
3. Lanyard switches.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I didn't have time/want to deal with it so I dropped it off at service today. I will update with what the issue is.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
As promised, I am following up. He said there was moisture on the rings, but they are unsure how it got there. They cleaned it out and compression is now fine, and the boat did fine on a test drive. Sorry I can't be more specific, I'm not an engine guy. They are concerned how moisture got into the engine, and engine compartment has been dry, and the filters are bone dry, even on the test drive. They are going to keep it two more days for further testing and I should have her back Sunday. Everything is covered under warranty but hopefully the issue does not happen again. We had some good size swells while anchored out - that is the only thing I can think of... something happened then.

EDIT: The dealer installed a fogger port on each engine - I wonder if this could be the cause for moisture.

Last edited: