• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Help -SX190 Won't Start

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Ok so all the accessories work but when I turn the ignition nothing happens. No sound, gauges do not work. Battery has power.

Last edited:

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Check your cleanout hatch safety switch. It may need to be adjusted and isn't pressing all the way to allow the engine to start.

Last edited:

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Not being a smart ass.....because I have actually done this....is your safety/engine cutoff clip in?

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Check your cleanout tray safety switch. It may need to be adjusted and isn't pressing all the way to allow the engine to start.
I tried that as well I even held it all the way down and had my wife turn the key.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Shift it to forward then back in ....

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Was this running previously today or are you just getting the boat out of hibernation?

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I opened up the front seat and checked all the cables they seemed to be plugged in tight, also checked the fuses in the back. Notice 2 female cables unplugged and one diag cable but everything looked good.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Was this running previously today or are you just getting the boat out of hibernation?
First time for the year I checked the blower before I left and it worked so didn't bother with the key lesson learned my wife was not pleased.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If blowers are on when you try to start does it drain the blowers output? Are all battery switches right? Undo the safety lanyard a few times and check the actual switches for the clean out. Could be a bad connection there or else try neutral a few times also.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Did you undo batteries over the winter? All wires for grounds correct and engine leads?

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am clearly no expert but I would try the following: First if you have a volt tester and if you can get to the starter switch see if you are receiving power to them if you are it is possible the ignition switch is bad. I also know you said you checked the fuses and that they were good, however, I would double check them and then be sure that done are loose. If there is a starter relay fuse make sure it is not corrosive and or loose. You might want to wiggle it while your wife starts the engine.

One other thing you might check are the grounds on the battery etc.[flag]

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Did you undo batteries over the winter? All wires for grounds correct and engine leads?
Yeah I take the battery out over the winter, I just don't see anything I'm missing.

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah I take the battery out over the winter, I just don't see anything I'm missing.
Does the motor turn over? There are fuses in the back of the engine compartment. They should be in a black plastic box with a circular screw cover on it that covers the fuses.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Does the motor turn over? There are fuses in the back of the engine compartment. They should be in a black plastic box with a circular screw cover on it that covers the fuses.
No it does not turn over no power, even the gauges won't turn on.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Notice 2 female cables unplugged
Were these hanging connectors behind the dash?

Could you have a key/switch issue maybe?

I think you need a volt meter to check to see if your getting power to the starter to start to back track it and start bypassing your safety switches,

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As I go back over your post you have stated that the battery is charged and that your accessories work. Are they still working if not is it possible your battery is draining, however, unless it is totally dead you should get a little crank when you turn the key. Again I would recommend that if you can get your hands on a tester see if volts are going to your starter switch. If you are then you may have a bad starter switch. However before I would come to that conclusion I would recheck the fuses and be sure they are not corroded and are seated properly. I had this happen to me on my RV. I wiggled the fuse and was back in business. Not sure if you have a solonoid but if you do you have means to see if it is bad? I would also recheck your battery connections to ensure they are properly seated. You also did not say what the two loose wires were for Is it possible that one or both of them could be the cause.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Ok so I think I was looking at the accessory fuses. I finally found the main fuse box and the 1st one I pulled was a 30 amp that is broke. I didn't check any of the others figure I will just buy some of each and will keep you guys posted.

Attachments